still coughing (Read 971 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

i had the flu a couple weeks ago and i still have a cough. how do i know if it's something i should see the dr about?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

How much does it weigh? In stones?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

If you have busted a rib from coughing, you might want to talk to someone about it.   Especially if there's an outbreak of whooping cough in your area. But, I didn't and still survived.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Leave me alone.

The Flu?

A Flu?

Influenza Like Illness?

Fluish?

"run" "2" "eat"

on 9 february had what the magical flu diagnosing machine (per linkie from trent) diagnosed as flu - fever, headache, body aches, cough, chest tightness/difficulty breathing. i dutifully called my PCP who in turn called in a script for tamiflu. after 3 days i was feeling better and after 7 days i was feeling completely better. completely except i have this nagging cough. bouts are more frequent and longer in duration during the morning, but not exclusive to the morning. the cough is wet but not always productive and is in my chest. so i have a cough lingering 10 days after i have recovered from the flu and i'm wondering if that's typical or if i should seek medical attention?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do you have sinusitis?

Asthma?

"run" "2" "eat"

how would i know if i have sinusitis?

asthma, maybe. i am having PFTs next week. i was supposed to have them done on 10 february but i was sick then. if i have asthma, i could expect the flu cough to linger?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"run" "2" "eat"

okay, here i am back to where i started. possibly normal, possibly expected, possibly not normal or expected. i had figured that much out for myself.

the reason i started this thread is to get an idea what sort of things would tell me a lingering cough needs to be checked out in real life. are there characteristics of the cough that would mark it as dangerous, short of coughing blood i mean. is a cough alone generally innocuous? i don't want to be running to my doctor needlessly but on the other hand, that's what she's there for, right?

so -- what are some things to look for that would tell me if this lingering cough warrants a trip to the doctor?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh.  Call your doctor.

The big three are asthma, reflux and sinus infection.  Allergies are also on the list.  And reactive airways disease is common too.  The only good way to sort it out?  Wait a while and see what happens, or go check with a doc.  If you have drainage down your throat, facial pressure or tooth pain then sinus infection is a possibility.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm asthmatic, so after a bad cold or flu I have come to expect 3-4 weeks of coughing Hell.  YMMV.  But if it's been a couple of weeks it's definitely worth a trip to the doc.  If it's not asthma, then perhaps it's something else (bronchitis?) that could be helped medically (breathing treatment and/ore Tussin w/codeine are the sort of standard things that my PCP tends to prescribe for me in this situation).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

DoppleBock

I have had a couch since the beginning of November - Screw doctors - They have bettter things to do than see me.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I have had a couch since the beginning of November - Screw doctors - They have bettter things to do than see me.

This made me giggle because of the spelling error. I've had a couch for a few years now - hell, I'm sitting on it now! - and I haven't thought to see doctors because of it. 

TRUST THE PROCESS

keeponrunning

Glad to hear you have a couch!  Although I'm not quite sure why you would need to see a doctor because of it.Wink

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Like post on message boards?