Is it ok to do a long run one week from marathon race?! (Read 218 times)

Space

Need some advice from the running wisdom here. I've been marathon training and got hit with a severe flu the last few weeks which has hampered my schedule. Needed to get some long runs in during this period as I've only got two big runs 20miles (32km) under my belt and really feel I need one more at least. Base fitness is decent averaging 30 miles (45km) a week peaking at 60miles (90km) for the 8 weeks prior. Problem is the race is one week away so should I squeeze in one more long 20 mile  run (30km) or just leave it and rest? As I've been sick, I've not run the last 2 weeks so concerned I might be under done, what do you all think?

This will be my third marathon and I've done 3:30 both times. Another option, is I just do the half which I know I'll have no trouble with but is it better to do the half marathon easily or push through the full marathon at below optimum but gain more experience for next time? Thanks in advance!

Feeling the growl again

The biggest thing you can do with workouts the last two weeks before a marathon is screw the pooch.  Do you really think your body is going to a) fully recover from the long run, and b) complete positive adaptations which will result in racing faster, in 7 days?

You can't cram training.  You missed it, it's gone.  Perhaps you will just go into the race more rested than you thought and actually do better.  Write off the missed runs and move on.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

npaden

Not an expert, but everything I've read on the subject would say that a long run now would be too late to do you any good, but enough to do plenty of harm.

Trying to fit in a last long run too close to the race is a common mistake from what I've read.

Hopefully someone else will post more on the subject, but don't do a long run 1 week before the race.  10 miles easy would be okay probably, but not 20.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

djschroeder4

10-12 miles at your long run pace should be enough.  This is what I do and I run 75-85 mi/wk.  You may not even want to do that much though.  With a week to go, you'll do more harm than good.

Space

Ok, thanks for that. Probably what I needed to hear. Do you think those two long 20 mile runs (which i completed quite easily) were enough though? I know I'll be able to finish trun marathon, but I want to maintain my previous pace and times.

Can you please also elaborate on the "screw the pooch" analogy? I'm from down under and we don't have that saying here? I also don't have a dog, cat only.

The biggest thing you can do with workouts the last two weeks before a marathon is screw the pooch.  Do you really think your body is going to a) fully recover from the long run, and b) complete positive adaptations which will result in racing faster, in 7 days?

You can't cram training.  You missed it, it's gone.  Perhaps you will just go into the race more rested than you thought and actually do better.  Write off the missed runs and move on.

Feeling the growl again

Ok, thanks for that. Probably what I needed to hear. Do you think those two long 20 mile runs (which i completed quite easily) were enough though? I know I'll be able to finish trun marathon, but I want to maintain my previous pace and times.

Can you please also elaborate on the "screw the pooch" analogy? I'm from down under and we don't have that saying here? I also don't have a dog, cat only.

It means you'll make a dog's breakfast of things, mate.  Arrive at the line knackered, buggered or stuffed.

As for whether 2 20-milers are enough, I once ran a 2:29 without successfully completing a single 20-miler (but I was running 80 miles a week).  I'd be a lot more concerned about your 30 mile a week average than a couple 20-milers.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

'Tis usually better to show up undertrained and healthy than overtrained or injured.

(Comment from an experienced runner who I respected on a bb when I first started.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Dream Maker

It would be a net detriment.

You have to recover.  You may not be fully recovered in that amount of time.

Plus it takes 7-10 days to see the adaptation from a workout, and the change given in any one workout is quite small.

Time for advancing training is gone, best thing you can do now is make sure you get to the start line healthy and rested.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Sounds like you're already convinced, but yeah...don't worry about going 20.  Based on the kind of mileage it sounds like you've put in over the course of the cycle, I doubt missing one long run is going to make or break you.  And, as others have said, there's a lot of benefit to being well-rested going into race day; you may very well surprise yourself!

The long run is important, but some plans...like the one I've been using, in fact (Hansons)...don't even have you go that far.  Twenty is not a magic number.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mysecondnewname

It means you'll make a dog's breakfast of things, mate.  Arrive at the line knackered, buggered or stuffed.

As for whether 2 20-milers are enough, I once ran a 2:29 without successfully completing a single 20-miler (but I was running 80 miles a week).  I'd be a lot more concerned about your 30 mile a week average than a couple 20-milers.

This^^

I will say that I've done training cycles with 20-milers (Hudson-based) and without (Hanson-based), and I've found that I like 20's.  They only take about 3 hours, so they fall neatly into the favorable risk:benefit ratio.  Still, IMHO, average mileage is king (at least for me).

Also, OP, if I were in your shoes, I'd do the half.  I actually think running a good half marathon is pretty darn challenging. (Fast enough to hurt, long enough to make the pain endure.).  I know people might say it's "only" a half, but that's usually people who haven't truly raced them.

Also, OP, if I were in your shoes, I'd do the half.  I actually think running a good half marathon is pretty darn challenging. (Fast enough to hurt, long enough to make the pain endure.).  I know people might say it's "only" a half, but that's usually people who haven't truly raced them.

This is a good recommendation. Slightly undertrained for a marathon can be excellent training for a half; you may end up exceeding expectations in that race, making it a much better experience than suffering through the marathon.

I was about to write that you can then get back into some solid training and find another marathon to run in a couple months. But I guess where you are, that is getting into hot weather & there may be none available.

Dave

Space

Thanks guys. Sound advice and I'll take it all on board. I wont do the long run and spend the time resting and I'll look at doing the half instead. You're right about the weather staring to heat up now so will leave the full marathon until next year. Will keep you posted with how I go in the half marathon.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks guys. Sound advice and I'll take it all on board. I wont do the long run and spend the time resting and I'll look at doing the half instead. You're right about the weather staring to heat up now so will leave the full marathon until next year. Will keep you posted with how I go in the half marathon.

Smart.  I bet the half will be some good experience under your belt.