Sick 3 weeks before marathon (Read 764 times)

paulv

I'm running a marathon on Nov 4th.  Tomorrow was supposed to be my last 20 mi before the taper down.  Unfortunately, I'm sick with a fever and cough.  What should I do?  Should I run the 20 mi as soon as I feel better or skip it all together and go right into the taper down.  This is my first marathon so I'm not sure what to expect.

I would wait.  Nothing wrong with doing the 20 miler 2 weeks before the race as long as you don't go too hard.

Check out my running log.  I had some foot problems and did very little running for about 5 weeks before my marathon and still managed a PR.

As many told me (and I didn't believe it until this past weekend), if you have done the hard work leading up to this point, you will be fine!

Good luck and get well soon.

2014 Goals

Weight - 200 lbs (stuck around 211)

2000 miles (1700 as of September 10)

Stay healthy for Boston 2015

Marathon - 3:05 (St. George in October)

5k - 19:55 (19:43 July 4, 2014)

paulv

Thanks for the advice.

Running nut

For my first (and only) marathon I was doing my long runs on Thursday nights, so my 20-miler was 17 days before the race. I had no problems recovering and tapering so I'm sure you'll be fine with 2 weeks.

I'm running a marathon on Nov 4th.  Tomorrow was supposed to be my last 20 mi before the taper down.  Unfortunately, I'm sick with a fever and cough.  What should I do?  Should I run the 20 mi as soon as I feel better or skip it all together and go right into the taper down.  This is my first marathon so I'm not sure what to expect.

Expect a PR because it is your first marathon and you are more than capable of finishing.  But the way you have ramped up mileage recently, the sickness is perhaps your body telling you that it needs a short rest.  Not only do you need to recover from your increase in training, you need to recover from the illness.  You have plenty of recent 2-3 hour runs in your log -- 7 of them in 7 weeks.  Take a break, it is okay.

2013 H1:  7 hours/week base.  Q3: Train for goal race.  Q4:  Goal Race.

nextyearcubs

Three weeks before I ran the Quad Cities Marathon, I wound up walking by mile 14 of my last 20 miler.  I stopped at 16 miles.  It was a high milage week, so I just figured I was kind of tapped out (70-ish mile week) and got some extra rest while tapering.  The only other 20 miler I did was four weeks before that last long run.

I ended up running 3:34 at QCM, just shy of a PR (3:31).  If you put the work in consistently, one run doesn't necessarily make much difference.  You should be fine.

5K 20:20 9/17/11 13.1 1:36:58 6/12/11 26.2 3:34:19 9/23/2012

paulv

Thanks for all the responses.  I went to the Dr. on Monday and after a chest x-ray it turns out I've got pneumonia.  Feeling a bit better after 2 days of antibiotics but I'm feeling like I'm going to miss this race.

Oh, that's horrible news!  Try to be very patient with yourself once you are feeling better.  It may take a few months to recover completely.

2013 H1:  7 hours/week base.  Q3: Train for goal race.  Q4:  Goal Race.