Knee pain - race in 3 weeks - what to do (Read 453 times)

I am running a very hilly 8k in about 3 weeks and have developed knee pain/soreness. This is my 3rd year running. Soreness is right in the middle of the knee without weakness - just a hot feeling with soreness, worse on the right vs the left. Facts: 1. Recently went cross-country skiing for 1st time this year not wearing orthotics. (pain started after the skiing) 2. Mileage pretty steady. 3. Been doing some speedwork during my runs. Should I: a) stop the speedwork? (the race will be a PR regardless) b) lower mileage & start taper? c) other suggestions? Thanks!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

SMART Approach

Ru Could be a stress reaction to the skiing combined with the running. Definitely, ice after the run and between and before you run get that knee warmed up in hot top or heating pad wrapped around knee. Clearly, cut back on intensity. Also, take it easy the next few days with easy runs or cross training. See how it responds. Usually you can bounce back from these reactions within a week. Note: You have to get healthy but you absolutely do not need to taper miles for a 8K - certainly watch intensity that last week especially 3-4 days before race.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com