First time negative splitting a marathon (Read 701 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

It wasn't a race but I ran my 9th marathon of 2012 this weekend (one per month is the plan! This one was solo.) and I had the best one to-date. Not my fastest marathon but my easiest and most enjoyable, pain free, no chaffing, no blisters and my stomach felt fine all the way to the end. I ran it in 3:23 which I think is awesome considering I set out to run a comfortable 3:45.

Ran from my apartment to Cntral Park (10.3 miles) the did 3 of the 5 mile loops, plus a tad more for an even 26.2. When I got to mile 18 I felt great, like it was mile 7. When I hit 20 I felt like I should just pick up the pace. I ended up running the second 13 miles several minutes faster than the fist and my last 3 miles or so were my fastest, including a 7:10 for mile 26 and sub seven for my last .2. That has NEVER happened to me before.
    Definely a factor of the great sunny 60 degree day. I'm feeling very confident for NYCM in Nov.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Believe

It wasn't a race but I ran my 9th marathon of 2012 this weekend (one per month is the plan! This one was solo.) and I had the best one to-date. Not my fastest marathon but my easiest and most enjoyable, pain free, no chaffing, no blisters and my stomach felt fine all the way to the end. I ran it in 3:23 which I think is awesome considering I set out to run a comfortable 3:45.

Ran from my apartment to Cntral Park (10.3 miles) the did 3 of the 5 mile loops, plus a tad more for an even 26.2. When I got to mile 18 I felt great, like it was mile 7. When I hit 20 I felt like I should just pick up the pace. I ended up running the second 13 miles several minutes faster than the fist and my last 3 miles or so were my fastest, including a 7:10 for mile 26 and sub seven for my last .2. That has NEVER happened to me before.
      Definely a factor of the great sunny 60 degree day. I'm feeling very confident for NYCM in Nov.

Dude, that is awesome.  I PR'd a half this weekend as well in KY and it was a perfect dday to run.  Great job and good luck at NYCM.

joescott

Dave, nice!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

Good confidence builder and it will feel many times better to do it in a race that you are racing.

Hey, is there a reason you are shy with your log?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sigh, he goes out and runs marathons for fun.

Good work.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Good confidence builder and it will feel many times better to do it in a race that you are racing.

Hey, is there a reason you are shy with your log?

Can't people view it?  Must be a setting.  I'll check. 

ETA: How immature does it make me that I laughed a few times at "shy with your log"?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

I think I fixed my log (still laughing, still immature).

Note that it only reflects runs with my Garmin, which is a lot of my runs but not all, and only the outdoor ones. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

KMB

Can't people view it?  Must be a setting.  I'll check. 

ETA: How immature does it make me that I laughed a few times at "shy with your log"?

just got home from a few beers and cant stop laughing Big grin