40s+ on the Run - Happy New Year! (Week of 12/30/07) (Read 1379 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Holy moley, I leave town for a week and now everyone is looking to moonlight as strippers?? Big grin While I was gone I had the "pleasure" of running on the dreadmill as well as on the streets of LA. Yikes! Fortunately, I was able to detour into Beverly Hills where I was pleased to see that even the rich people have weeds in their yards. Off for my last run of the year which takes me over the 600 mi mark for the year. Next year I'm hoping to more than double that. I never did hear from the folks at Active about my running log. Ended up losing everything prior to mid-December this year - oh well! Happy New Year everyone! Hope everyone's hips, asses, hammies etc. are all doing well! Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Leslie: gifs are the things like dancin' nana's & such.... Arla: I'm just starting over fresh here....not that my log on CR was all that long - or impressive - this being my 1st year n all...& I didn't find CR till July I think...
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      btb1490

Ok, here's a gif I got from the following website... http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Animals/Dogs/Birthday_dalmatian.gif I pasted the url of the gif into my post here, then I highlighted it and then clicked on the "Insert Image" icon up above the posting window. The icon looks like a mountain with a sun over it. Your gif has to come from a website though. You can't insert them from your computer as far as I know. Ok, you try!
          Arla & Mtnchk ~ Maybe you folks already know this - Not sure if this will help but if you use this link - it might help you get back to your log in Cool Running. After the u=, take out my username (ny2ut) and put in your username. After the p=, take out where i've put in 'yourpassword' and put in your password. http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=ny2ut;p=yourpassword Then if you click on the tools icon on that Running Log tab, you can follow the instructions to save your log to your own personal files. Eric was kind enough to take that information and help me transfer that log info to Running Ahead. Finished up my last run for the year. Just 4 miles today, but it put me at 300 miles for the year. I'm shooting for 500+ miles next year. I know that still makes me a light weight, but it's all good! Happy New Year! Cheers to all!!

...And I do.

Well, dang, I can't make the gif work. I'll ask DH when he gets up. Our son went out last night with a girl -- they are both 18. Well, around 2:30 her mom calls and she is drunk and wants to know if we know where her daughter is. No. The mom was rude and too drunk to drive around looking for her daughter. So, later she calls again -- the kids had come here (thinking they were going to crash together at our house) -- Well, DH told them "no-way" so they headed over to the next door neighbors house. DH told them the mom had called but of course they didn't want to deal with it. So, an hour later we get another call from Mom and my hubby gives her the neighbors phone number and let her call them. Then she said something else rude and he hung up on her. Heck, we didn't even party. We were home in bed -- trying to get some sleep. BUT, some 18 year olds are going to get it today! Oh, yeah, my name is Star Cherry Shock. Hmmmmmmmm! I think my hubby will get a kick out of THAT! Happy New Year my running friends! ~Shell

Another Passion

Our son went out last night with a girl -- they are both 18. Well, around 2:30 her mom calls and she is drunk and wants to know if we know where her daughter is. No. The mom was rude and too drunk to drive around looking for her daughter. So, later she calls again -- the kids had come here (thinking they were going to crash together at our house) -- Well, DH told them "no-way" so they headed over to the next door neighbors house. DH told them the mom had called but of course they didn't want to deal with it. So, an hour later we get another call from Mom and my hubby gives her the neighbors phone number and let her call them. Then she said something else rude and he hung up on her. Heck, we didn't even party. We were home in bed -- trying to get some sleep. BUT, some 18 year olds are going to get it today! Happy New Year my running friends! ~Shell
              Ugh! I have a 16 year old daughter that spent the night at DW's god-daughter's house last night. I think all was well, but one never really knows unless they're there, eh? I just pray she is sensible... I suppose 16 and sensible is an oxymoron though. Confused Happy New Year everyone! Big grin

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Top 'O the World!

must be me....it's not working....the gif thingy....tried 3 sites so far....I'm quite sure it must be my techie challenged brain cells & such!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  Recovery Day, i.e. Nap Day, i.e., I ain't answering no phones, don't come to my door, leave me alone. Definitely rang in the New Year, now I know why I don't do that very much anymore. Ugh! Cracked the sliding glass door and have let the kittens out. Shocked It's taking everything inside me not to go and find them every few minutes. However, they've come back and visited a couple of times already, so I know they know where home is. Smile Happy New Year!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Bunny Heaven-Hooter here!!!! (Thanks Leslie!!!) No run for me today. I'm still recovering from a tummy bug and didn't feel like "trusting" my system on the trails just yet Undecided Hopefully all will be well by tomorrow...including the weather!!! We've been in the deep freeze for the last few days with temps in the teens during the day and in the "it's freakin' cold" over night!!!
                    btb1490

Happy 2008 all you 40+ on the Runners! Arla, which was the lesser of two evils? Running the dreadmill, or running the streets of LA? The one and only time I ran in LA, I couldn't talk for two days afterwards, my throat was so irritated. I probably inhaled the equivalent of 10 packs of cigarettes during that run. Cindy, don't give up on trying to post those gifs! Make it your 2008 resolution! ny2ut - 300 miles or 3000 miles... like you said, it's all good! Just keep that ball rolling in '08! Shell, not your typical new years eve, eh? Why can't kids be angels like we all were when we were 18? Big grin Leslie, the cats know where the FOOD is! Saph has the gif posting thingy down! Hope the weather warms up in time for your return to running. Got out for a nice 3 mile hike with the dog early this AM before the deluge came in. Actually, it started pouring near the end of the hike. Later on we got hit with a freaky thunderstorm. This is the 3rd thunderstorm in a couple of weeks, which is really weird for wintertime around here. Spent the rest of the day doing odds and ends around the house. You know, the piddly little kind of stuff that's been hanging over your head for months, the stuff that you'll get to "some day". The tendon in my left foot is royally pissed off at me, so no running for me for a few days at least. With the Goofy Challenge coming up at Disney in less than two weeks, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this old body can pull itself together before then. Sigh.... I'll need some of that Disney magic. Hope the first day of 2008 was a great one for all!

50 halfs by age 50

Hi everyone! Dallas SilverThong here...but my friends call me Mel (short for Melissa). I'm not quite 40 but will become that way in July. I've been running for nearly 3 years and am a slow back of the packer (Gosh I'm starting to feel like a real poser here Big grin) I started out walking a 23 min mile and am up to about a 12 min mile, though my 5K PR was 33:51 a couple months ago. I have completed 5 half-marys (PR 2:45:35), two 15Ks, a 10K and several 5K in the last 3 years. I'm doing my first full at Disney in 12 days Shocked My favorite running injury is plantar fasciitis (R foot). I have custom orthotics and run in ASICs though I have made it my personal mission to try every cushioned running shoe on the planet (I have freakishly high arches and heel spurs on both feet). My goals are someday to run a sub-30 5K and a sub 2:30 half. So I hope it's okay to hangout with y'all even though I'm not Dallas, 40 or fast Smile

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

woodwoman

I found you! I found you! Actually, I've been away then navigated through all the changes at the old site, checked out the discussions and couldn't find anyone - I posted a rather sad and pathetic "where are all the 40s" and r2farm and someone named mmoonhead steered back to the fold! (Thanks, guys!) I couldn't bear the thought of facing a new year and a renewed commitment without Leslie and her dancing bananas!! Seriously, you guys make me laugh and pull me up and give me support and I don't feel so alone in my running. I am still alive and still running. Since I am like a newbie, I will introduce myself - I am a 45 year old mother of three (16, 14 and 11) in southern California who had never run until a year ago when something posessed me to try C25K. I loved it and I am still a work in progress. I hit some asthma problems over the summer and got into a treadmill rut because of the heat (for me anyway, it turned out to not be so good) so I lost some ground so to speak but didn't quit. It's taken a couple of months to get back to even being able to do 3 miles after doing 5 but I'm feeling good about how it's going. I joined a Hal Higdon Spring Training group yesterday at the old site because I do better when I've got some structure and a plan. Anyway, glad to be back. Angie
                            Welcome, Mel, and welcome back, Angie! Mmoonhead, aka Joe, is really nice guy. Haven't heard anything from him in awhile, so it's nice to know he's still around. Last I heard, he was training for a tri. Cindy, aka Mtnchk - I can't figure out the gifs, either. I just end up with one of those weird little boxes that you know is suppose to be a picture but isn't. Just gotta keep trying.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

It worked! I forgot to highlight it before and then hit the last square icon above. Woo hoo! My 'nanas are back!!

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

{{{{{{{{{ANGIE!!}}}}}}}}}}} WOO-HOO! Glad ya found us!! WELCOME DALLAS (MEL)! ...we haven't been carding@ the door Big grin (Bob: trying it again!)Animations - Bear Dances Saph: my DH says that Sapphire is a MUCH better "stripper name" than BHH.....IHHO! *(I'm gonna make him log on & post his own comments! :rollSmile Thanks for the *push* ny2ut! I had my DH (my personal tech support) help w/your input & viola! I have what I had logged in CR moved to here! Smile Now to just update against what's in my Garmin stuff...... No recovery needed here Leslie ~ some of us catch on eventually......Big grin ~ or NOT!! 1630pm 14*F/47% H 80 min snow & ice challenged power walk w/Mairead!