Need a Wireless Router Suggestion (Read 158 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Looks like my home wireless router is going out on me.

Any suggestions for a good replacement?  Doesn't need too many bells and whistles...I would like for the Wifi to be fast, and I do need at least four wired ports for the entertainment system.  It's a single-story house, so it doesn't need to have killer range.  The ability to attach an external drive is nice, but not required.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I recently purchased a Linksys (Cisco) E2500 on sale at Target and am happy with it. My older Linksys router started acting up and needed to be replaced. Both my old and new routers allow hardwired connections which I occasionally use. I'm also in single story house and have had no problems with connections anywhere in the house, as well as on patio which is full length of the house from the router. Currently wirelessly connecting, two laptops, two smartphones, two Roku's & a Blue Ray player and HP Printer without conflicts.

My approach has been find best price for basic functionality with latest wireless standard and the heck with additional bells and whistles. I'm no longer able to do an consulting or work from home so am only concerned with connecting our smartphones, laptops, and streaming devices as needed which only needs basic connectivity. Being on sale the E2500 met my criteria and was cheaper than other units.

good luck!

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Prince of Fatness

It's been a while since I have purchased one so I cannot offer first hand advice.  Some information here tho....

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

The Asus RT-ACxx series are some of the best available right now, many accolades. Linksys EA4500 is solid, can't go wrong there.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanks for the suggestions so far!  Bobev, your post reminds me, I guess I should talk about the wireless devices we use: two smartphones, two iPads, and usually just one laptop - DW has one too, but she almost never fires it up.

Oh, and a couple of Kindles and a Garmin FR620.

I guess the satellite box in the bedroom uses the Wifi in some way too, though I'm shamefully unaware of exactly what it's doing or how often it's doing it.

Do routers limit the number of devices that can access it?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

xhristopher

I'm sorry but none of the wireless routers suggested are any good for running. You are going to want something smaller and self powered. There are several good 4G and LTE options, depending on your carrier.

Not for the typical home consumer. A typical limit is 255 devices, but you can start to see performance degrade when your device count is in the dozen or two neighborhood if they are simultaneous.

I don't know a specific model to recommend, but I've had good experiences with NetGear's routers. At home now though, the NetGear has been unplugged in favor of the Apple Airport Extreme. The whole family has been impressed with the improved performance of all devices and plugging in a 4TB drive allowed Time Machine functionality to the Macs.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prince of Fatness

I have an old router and have had more than a handful of devices on it at one time.  I think that the issue with more devices would be bandwidth / throughput.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

an amazing likeness

Yes, but in numbers measured in the 100s as a general statement.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xhristopher

This one is kinda shaped like a baton. You can use it for relay, or to beat off dogs and attackers.

Now if that thing had a light and a Sonar device on it we'll be all set

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I have an old router and have had more than a handful of devices on it at one time.  I think that the issue with more devices would be bandwidth / throughput.

That's what I figured, but thought I'd ask.

I assumed initially that the Apple Airport Extreme mentioned would be way out of my price range, but checking it out on Amazon, it's more than I wanted to spend, but not that  bad.  Only three wired connections, though.  Might be able to make that work; I've currently got the receiver wired to the router, but I really don't think I've done anything with that.

I assume it plays just fine with non-Apple devices.  It being an Apple product, is there anything about it that makes it easier to set up for a networking dummy like me?  And is setup for a shared drive any easier?  If it's as plug-and-play, take-me-by-the-hand user friendly as most Apple products are, I might be willing to pay a small premium.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Hmm...I'll consider it, but I really don't have anything I need to compensate for, y'know?