Ibuprofen before running: bad, but how bad? (Read 10739 times)

Jazz hands!

That's... a long time. How does anyone ever run?!?

MTA: I give up. It's still supposed to be 80 degrees at 8pm.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run

I went to a well respected ortho doc here in town on Tuesday to have my knee checked out due to pain and swelling after every run. He took some x-rays and told me that I have "a little bit of arthritis especially around the kneecap" but didn't see anything else unusual (I would have thought an MRI would have been more appropriate but I'm no doctor). His treatment suggestions:
      1. Ice after runs
      2. get new shoes
      3. take at least 2-months worth of Glucosamine/Chondroitin (discontinue after that if it's not helping)
      4. take 1 or 2 Advil or Aleve 1/2 hour before my runs
      After reading this I might get a second opinion!

By the way, Glucosamine/Chomdroitin have been shown to be no better than placebo.

http://www.contentnejmorg.zuom.info/cgi/content/abstract/354/8/795

By the way, Glucosamine/Chomdroitin have been shown to be no better than placebo.

but, I tried a placebo and the GC (Schiff Movefree advanced formula). The GC worked, and the placebo didn't.  Honest, I did

I like on this forum how the OP can bump a thread 1.5 years later and get a response from the same people who replied 1.5 years ago.

I like on this forum how the OP can bump a thread 1.5 years later and get a response from the same people who replied 1.5 years ago.

Because here at RunningAhead we like Necromancy and Necrophilia. lol

The King of Beasts

Bringing this question up again--how long after taking Ibu. is it okay to run?

i like 30-45 min

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why do you NEED ibuprofen to run?

Timbodeener

Yeah...I tried the supplements for about 4 or 5 months back then but they didn't help.  I still have pain and swelling in my knee especially on long runs but icing it after running seems to keep it manageable.

Just this past week I tweaked something in my lower back and have not been able to stand completely straight ever since so Advil has been my friend!  I did my first run today in almost a week and got through it even though my back was stiff as heck. 

Tim

The King of Beasts

With my history of wrecks
                    I think It's time to check
                    The crab trap of life once more

Need is a relative thing these days
                    It borders on desire
                    The high tech world is full of bright
                    shiny things
                    We think that we really require

Sometimes more than others
                    You see who and what and where
                    You are

~Jimmy Buffett

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Old, Slow, Happy

but, I tried a placebo and the GC (Schiff Movefree advanced formula). The GC worked, and the placebo didn't.  Honest, I did

I'm confused.  How do you know you were taking a placebo? 

The mind is a terrible thing to waste.  If taking and knowing it works, that's O.K.

BTW: I don't take it, but I'm sure it doesn't work, so why try it?

Jazz hands!

I don't. I used it yesterday morning to be able to function like a human instead of a blob lying on the floor clutching my head. It was completely unrelated to running.

run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That is why I use coffee, chocolate and maxalt.

JML

+1 Trent

Pain is the best feedback you have while running:

A little pain = Congratulations....you are pushing yourself and it is good.

A lot of pain = something is wrong....why don't we stop and check it out.

Shielding yourself from the pain with Ibuprofen etc taken before running is a recipe for a major injury.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Yeah...I tried the supplements for about 4 or 5 months back then but they didn't help.  I still have pain and swelling in my knee especially on long runs but icing it after running seems to keep it manageable.

Just this past week I tweaked something in my lower back and have not been able to stand completely straight ever since so Advil has been my friend!  I did my first run today in almost a week and got through it even though my back was stiff as heck. 

Tim

It's not really a placebo if you know you are taking a placebo.

keeponrunning

Huh?  I get the whole acetaminophen=okay, ibuprofen=bad thing, but what is this talk of a placebo??

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022