This you gotta read: Sheffield Half Marathon water shortage causes chaos (Read 337 times)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26910318

To my mind it raises the question of where police should draw the line in protecting the public. Should they put up road blocks to prevent runners from progressing en masse in case they suffer from dehydration? I say not. When the gun goes off each runner is responsible for his or her own destiny. And the emergency services should be there only as a safety net (for those who collapse or are near to collapsing). The road block was thankfully ineffective, but it really was an act of repression added to a failure of bureaucratic competence.

Never been to the Americas, but how many of you guys have ever been to Derby?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Oh my.

running metalhead

Until relatively recently there were no water or energy drinks on marathons.

I agree that people may feel thirsty during a run, but "dehydration" is quite a strong word even for the strongest of thirsts. Real dehydration in sport events is rare even in hot climates... but there has been a lot of media hype in this regard based in part on studies that have already been proven both wrong because of the methodology and settings (treadmill vs. street) and exaggerated.

The only real signs of (benign) dehydation in a half marathon, even for the slowest runners, would be slower times... and yes a longing for a chilled pint of ale (check).

The presence of watering posts even in 10 and 5K events is mandatory (at least here in NL) just as a precaution, but I bet it causes more injuries  by slipping on plastic glasses or running into people who have stopped than it prevents.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
        - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
        - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
        - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
        - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
        - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

beat

Break on through

What can you do, if the bowsers don't show up?

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

TJoseph

"We have scoured supermarkets around the city, but unfortunately we have not been able to secure enough water for the medical-and-safety officers of the race to say it is safe to go ahead. We therefore took the very reluctant decision to cancel the race."

Don't they have tap water in the UK?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Beat them with planks. If you give them a good 90+ second plank beating, it makes them faster.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

arca

Hats off- they carried on and ran it anyway

bhearn

FB friend of mine was there.

"... Then, at mile twelve, I ended up phoning 999 and waiting for an ambulance for a runner who weaved towards me and collapsed on me, before slipping out of consciousness on the kerb. Marshals taking a long time to arrive, and then saying or doing nothing at all."

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Shoot. Just when I was starting to trust water stations and leave my hydration belt behind .... 

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

mikeymike

Imagine running a whole 13 miles with no water?

Wait ... I do that all the time. Never mind.

Runners run

bap

FB friend of mine was there.

"... Then, at mile twelve, I ended up phoning 999 and waiting for an ambulance for a runner who weaved towards me and collapsed on me, before slipping out of consciousness on the kerb. Marshals taking a long time to arrive, and then saying or doing nothing at all."

More, or less, than 3 hours in to the race? It was 55 degrees, a veritable heatwave by Sheffield standards.

Certified Running Coach
                        Crocked since 2013

ultramarathon/triathlete

I think you need to jump on their heads.

bowser

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

jfa

Through challenging terrain no less.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Imagine running a whole 13 miles with no water?

Wait ... I do that all the time. Never mind.

Run 13.1 without water. No problem. Race 13.1 without water. Yes problem.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

As I read that I kept getting the impression I was reading The Onion. Is the BBC the UK's version of The Onion??