Coughing after runs in the winter (Read 212 times)

kdash1228

I was wondering if others might be able to provide some tips for running in the winter. I used to run 3 miles a day several days a week. I have no problem doing so in the warmer weather, but when winter comes around I always stop running. I found that during the winter I feel sick after my runs, even if I run less than 3 miles. I am using coughing & have a runny nose for a few days after my run.

I don't know what I am doing that causes me to feel sick afterwards. I dress appropriately, at least what I think is appropriate. I change into different clothes as soon as I get home.

Any recommendations? What is the proper thing to do when preparing to run in the winter?

Best Present Ever

Have you talked to a doctor about it? do you possibly have exercise-induced asthma?

kilkee

runktrun

The cold weather may be to blame, but it won't harm you.  Few places in the US get cold enough to really make running impossible so long as you are dressed properly.  I have exercised induced asthma and experience coughing fits after I stop when the temps get around 20F or colder.  5F really limits my exertion, but I can still run easy.  I find it only happens once I stop for good.  My nose runs incessantly to the point where it is raw and bloody for months.  The cold, dry air is likely irritating your airways but probably is not doing any damage, though I second the recommendation to talk to your doctor about it.  Have you tried a ski mask to warm the air slightly as you inhale?  I don't use one because I don't like how my breath condenses on it and makes it damp.  Or you might just have to slow down a bit to keep your body from working too hard in colder temps.  Layers should help keep your core warm as well.  What temps bother you?

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Breathing through something warms and humidifies the air you are inhaling.  And when it gets cold enough, you get these really neat icicles.

My avatar photo was taken immediately after 11.5 miles at -10 deg F.  I had better icicles after a run at -20 deg F, but the camera was not readily available.

NHLA

Was the humidity high? Sometimes when I race in the fog when its cool it feels bad.

Have you talked to a doctor about it? do you possibly have exercise-induced asthma?

This is me. It only affects me in colder temps. I use an albuterol inhaler as needed--it really helps!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I coughed after cold runs my first running winter, but I seem to have adapted, and have no problem now.  Maybe if you make your runs easy enough, you'll adapt to the cold air as well.

Slo

I coughed after cold runs my first running winter, but I seem to have adapted, and have no problem now.  Maybe if you make your runs easy enough, you'll adapt to the cold air as well.

+1

Allow yourself some time to get acclimated.

running metalhead

Hi,

have you tried running with a buff / biker facemask ?

I used these when it snowed here a few years ago, the temperatures dropped to -7 / -10 C and the chilly wind caused my throat to get irritated. Using these you can warm up the air a bit when inhaling.

It also helps warming up in general as your body can divert heat to other zones (hands, for instance). It is also useful on windy days.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

justrundan

This is me. It only affects me in colder temps. I use an albuterol inhaler as needed--it really helps!

The cold can be a trigger for asthma as well; are you saying the cough improved when you used your inhaler before/after the run?  (I suggest using it 15' before your run)

Dan