Do You Eat Meat? (Read 442 times)

Hip Redux

Love the chicken coop, PDG!

I haven't had meat in 20 years.  I agree with the ethical reasons for not eating it, but mainly I just don't enjoy it, and when I used to eat it I felt like garbage.

keeponrunning

Yes.  However, I come from a long line of farmers (my generation is the first without a farmer in it) and know there is a lot of misinformation out there.  The beef we get comes from a local butcher, and the cows around here (Ontario, Canada) spend their summers grazing contentedly (with the exception of a drought a few years ago, when keeping them out was a death sentence).  The chicken is free-range.  The bacon...well, I don't know, but it tastes darn good!

MTA:  If you want to start on corn and soy, two common fillers in our food, my uncle wasn't able to reproduce because the chemicals killed his sperm. I kid you not. He and his wife are now incredibly jealous of those with kids.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Seems like I am the outsider here but I EAT MEAT and I do not care where or how it gets to me.  I do not talk trash on vegans or anything, I think you should do what you feel is right.  I eat only a tiny bit of pork ( bacon or bologna maybe ) no pork chops or ham or other thick cuts.  I do not eat fish. Only chicken beef or turkey usually, and its hot dogs, bologna, or other crappy stuff usually.  I know all the horror stories about this kind of food but I do not care because I can get a pound of meat for 99 cents this way.  When I get more money I will be more choosy with what I consume.  for now, it is a economical thing.

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

I do each the occasional piece of meat but I was a vegetarian for quite awhile.  I've never really gotten the ethical reasons for not eating meat altogether though.  It seems like every individual draws a arbitrary line of what they will or will not eat [i.e.: I'll eat meat without faces, but not with faces;  I won't eat chicken but I will eat processed sugar (which is often processed with animal bones); I will only eat seafood; etc.].  Arbitrariness and ethics don't seem to mix well to me because shouldn't ethics have some sort of principled basis behind them?  Arbitrariness necessitates a lack of principled basis...

Also, there have been studies that show that plants communicate with each other, recognize and help plants in their "family" (same strain), etc.  What exactly would be the distinction between a plant and i.e. a clam?

But, I support any individual decision, it is just when people make universal claims of what is ethical/unethical; right/wrong; etc. that it bothers me at all.

Better I Leave

Seems like I am the outsider here but I EAT MEAT and I do not care where or how it gets to me.  I do not talk trash on vegans or anything, I think you should do what you feel is right. 

Absolutely.

Better I Leave

Love the chicken coop, PDG!

Thank you. I'm still working on it, but it's getting there. Today I'm putting up the hardware cloth so the little chickies can roam around. For the moment, they're confined to the nesting room, but at least it's spacious. Smile

Hip Redux

Funny, PDG is a acronym we use at work... I guess I should pay closer attention to what my fingers are automatically typing :P

No Talent Drips

plant and i.e. a bivalve (e.g., a clam)?

I don't eat meat, but I eat the shit out of misused Latin abbreviations.

Dei Gratia

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm a pescetarian (and mostly vegan) I always try to eat environmentally responsibly.

Grains and vegetables aren't necessarily raised in an environmentally responsible manner.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Attacking the grammar rather than the substance of what someone writes on a forum?  You must have way too much time on your hands.  I usually save that business for work where I can bill for it.

I don't eat meat, but I eat the shit out of misused Latin abbreviations.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Don't think it was an attack. Looked to me like a simple correction.

i.e. ~ that is

e.g. ~ for example

HappyFeat

I don't eat meat and haven't for the last 38 years. I wish I could say it was out of concern for what the animals go through, but if that were the case, I'd give up dairy. I don't eat dead animals because it's abhorrent to me.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

GC100k

I don't eat dead animals because it's abhorrent to me.

Me too.  I only eat live animals.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't eat dead animals because it's abhorrent to me.

Me too.  I only eat live animals.

It's probably not the "dead" part that's abhorrent, it's probably the "eat" part.

The solution is probably to use a blender and drink them.

Think roadkill possum smoothie.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.