Intro myself - so old I'm new again! (Read 754 times)

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Thought I should get this intro over with and then go back to doing what I do best - lurking.

Back in the olden days, I was a cross-country runner, despite being of stubby stature. I was damn good at it, too. Then life happened and I allowed myself to stop doing something I loved. Now, at 46, I am 254 pounds and sporting two herniated discs and two abdominal hernia repairs (thanks to a career in construction). For months I have been walking/hiking, but only sporadically, and my thoughts have been turning to how much I loved to run when I was younger - yet I was convinced that because of my obesity and injuries it would be impossible to take up running again.

I was widowed three years ago and have since been looking for an outlet for my grief that would benefit me both physically and emotionally and the niggling thoughts of running kept working their way into my head. I have experienced extreme depression but am against taking pharma; I knew I had to be proactive in my approach to getting better but was fighting Apathy with a capital A! 

Being a voracious reader, I started Googling "obese running training" and similar searches which resulted in a lot of food for thought (pun intended). I realized my biggest fear is hearing rude comments being yelled at from passing cars and that (along with the inevitable pain associated with starting out in my condition) is what has kept me in such a state of chickenshite.

Today was a turning point. My dear friend completed his first marathon and was sending me texts as he passed every mile marker up until 22, then his last text said he was going to push hard to finish. I couldn't believe how excited I was for him! After that, I started downloading apps to my phone for the Couch-to-5k, same with the podcast, and bookmarked forums. I signed up for RWOL, then immediately saw the list of reasons posted on why members should jump ship and come over to RA. So I did Smile

Tomorrow will be my first day "officially" in a running training program since I've been doing some attempts at picking up the pace while out on walks. If you pray, I'd welcome a word on my behalf - I'm gonna need all the help I can get, and Lord knows I'll be praying the entire time I'm training!! lol! If you are a good cheerleader, I'd appreciate any pom pom waving you feel like doing. 

Peace -

April

Tiefsa

Here's a few tips for you.  Start out nice and easy.  Establish a routine of getting out to walk and run consistently.  Do work outs with friends.  Post your successes and failures here.  This site is loaded with helpful people who are really nice and very smart.  (I'm not one of the smart ones though)

Welcome to RA! I'm not smart enough to offer advice other than my empirical journey. Even still, yours will be different than mine, and will be filled with similar peaks and valleys. As Tief said, be consistent, go easy, and track yourself as you work to achieve your 'goal'.

Your goals don't need to include races, but they might. I ran for 10 years fairly consistently before I ran my 1st 5k race. I ran to maintain a healthy lifestyle, to lose weight, and to work through some other family medical challenges (aka, reflect and pray).

Today, activity is a part of my life, and I doubt anything could change that. I hope to be active for the rest of my life.

Cheers, Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Welcome, and congrats on making the choice to do this! I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress. Smile
          cmarkrun

Hi April, I know it's easy to say but don't worry about those idiots yelling rude things and just know that for every one of those rude idiots there are ten people saying to themselves...GOOD FOR YOU!!! So let me start off....GOOD FOR YOU!!!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

^ Right, I don't think anyone on RA is going to shout rude comments; in fact, this community is very supportive of everyone who are working to improve their health and fitness.  You might look around in the weight loss groups and the before/after threads.  A lot of people have taken the journey that you are starting, who can provide inspiration and advice.  Good luck!

Quite an introduction- I wish you success in your mission.

Lots of advice and support here.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

SheCan

Hi BouncyB!   What a nice introduction.  I'm 46 also, and started running after I was in my 40s.  There is hope for you if you commit yourself to getting healthy.  Good luck to you, and if you need motivation, please keep coming back here! 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

npaden

Good luck!

My wife has a shirt that says "Running is cheaper than Therapy".

Some would say that it is better for you too!

Prayers sent your way as well.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

Whoa! You're all freakin awesome! LOVE the vibes and the great advice. 

Tief - slow is all I can go, but I know what you mean. Pushing too hard too fast is a losing move every time. Establishing a routine will be the tough part but I know it is paramount to my success!

Brian - what you said is what I'm shooting for: "Today, activity is a part of my life, and I doubt anything could change that. I hope to be active for the rest of my life." 

Mark - thanks for the pompom waving! "GOOD FOR YOU!" will be my mantra today.

I appreciate all the welcomes and words of encouragement. I WILL be posting my progress. I'm scared out of my mind, but I imagine I'd be more scared if I was diagnosed with some disease I could have prevented by getting off my duff and started running. 

No more borrowed time, this sh!t just got real!

Buelligan

I realized my biggest fear is hearing rude comments being yelled at from passing cars and that (along with the inevitable pain associated with starting out in my condition) is what has kept me in such a state of chickenshite.

To hell with anyone who's gonna yell stuff at you.  It doesn't matter what you look like or what shape you're in, some low-life scum is always gonna want to piss in someone's Cheerios. 

Get your butt outside and get with the program... there are miles to run and life to be lived.  Just take the first step and the rest will follow.  It won't be easy getting started, but the rewards you'll get if you do can be priceless.

Good luck... this may just be the start of a grand adventure!

Here is an inspiration video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9BFx5Mhqo

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

Bouncy Butt

Runner's legs I have not

David, thanks for the link -- that was truly an inspiring video, and so was the Part 2; he's a funny guy and his heart is definitely in the right place. If I allowed it, that video could make me feel like a major chump. 

My husband died of ALS and now I am going to run and walk in their fundraisers (and Muscular Dystrophy, too, since they are connected) to honor his memory.

Great inspiration! 

The haters are going to hate. Do your best to ignore them.

I started running this past spring after taking many years off-too busy raising my kids. Anyway the guys at work noticed me losing weight the past few months,and let me tell you the negative comments can be surprising!  Most come from guys who obviously have weight problems of their own,so I let it roll off my back.

Good luck!

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Conversational pace ...  You should be running at a pace where you could still carry on a conversation ..  If you can't, you're going too fast ... if you can sing a song ...too slow.

As weird as it may sound, until I got a grip on where I needed to be pace-wise, I would actually talk every once in awhile to see where I was at. 

Tim