Shoes - when to change? (Read 974 times)

Typically, when do you change up your shoes? 300 miles? 400 miles? 500 miles? Anything else to consider - pronation, gait, weight, cushion shoes v. stability, etc? Currently, I am running on Asics Gel Nimbus VIII and am at almost 350 miles. Thinking it might be time for a new pair... I have a HM scheduled for Mar 4 and a 30k Mar 25 and want to make sure I have enough time to break in the new ones.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm lucky to get 250 miles from my shoes. We've had discussions about this in the past and it seems that those of us who run slower and have shorter strides find that our shoes wear out quicker (in terms of mileage), which makes a bit of sense, since we are taking more steps and spending more time/mile in our shoes to go the same distance...250 miles for me might be more like 350 miles for someone who runs faster and has longer legs/stride. There was also some talk of more stability = faster break-down of shoes. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My last pair I got around 600 miles out of. The pair before that, around 400. Really, I can tell almost immediately when it's time for a new pair. Something seems different. For example, this time, I got a nasty water blister on the inside of my left foot which I had never had in that spot before. Literally the next day after my run I got the exact same blister on my right foot. Last time I changed I started having pain in my knee. Basically, I change at the first sign that something doesn't feel good anymore. But there's no set mileage, at least for me.
          I usually go about 300 miles. I am pretty small-framed but I run on roads mostly so I think they do wear out sooner than some. One thing I tried was buying 2 of the same model of shoes and alternating wear days. That gives the cushioning more time to spring back rather than being pounded down day after day. I think I got a lot more miles out of them that way.
          1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
            400-500 miles http://www.bigtimerunners.com
            "You can have a victory without winning" Please Read my eBlog http://wherearethespiders.blogspot.com/
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

300 Miles. Search has gotta be coming Wink
              Jill_B

I fly.

I also only get about 250 out of a pair. I guess because my legs are short I need to take more steps...

Bring it on.

scrumhalfgirl

I just had this conversation with my "shoe guru" this morning (pedorthisist? can't remember his title - makes orthotics, does gait analysis - the guy is amazing!). Anyway, he said 1000-1500 km, which is about 600-900 miles. This guy knows shoes, and he knows injuries. He's not in the market to sell shoes, so he gains nothing by having people buy shoes more often. I tend to believe him. But of course, everyone, and every shoe, is different.

-Jess

Jeri from Houston

Mileage isn't as important as how well the shoes are performing. I have wore many shoes over 1000 miles in the past 20 years. I have only had 3 minor injuries in 29 years of running 10K a day average. My answer is always to change them when you experience aches often. Never wear them if you experience pain. Mileage isn't significant as it doesn't consider the runner gait, weight, surface, etc
                      I've always been told to replace my shoes in 6 months or 500 miles, which ever comes first... Happy Trails!!! Smile
                      jcasetnl

"Conventional wisdom" used to be that you changed the oil in your car every 5000 miles. Then the speedy oil change places came along and it was "marketed" down to 3000 miles. I just run in the shoe until either the upper is seriously falling apart or the midsole shows strong evidence of being broken down. Most of the time I'll experience a little extra soreness from my workouts and I look to the shoe as a possible cause. I've also come to believe that an orthodic insole greatly improves the life of the shoe (at least for me). I think the stiff plastic dissipates the heal strike so the midsole takes less of a beating.
                          I change them when the dog won't come near me anymore.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Got a 1000+ miles once out of a pair once. And a stress fracture, so don't go threre.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.