First attempt at a marathon! (Read 1035 times)

Just Be

I think I'm gonna go for it later today just to see what it's like. I'm shooting for a time of under 4 hours so I can still go to sleep at a reasonable hour. Big grin Wish me luck... it scares me, thinking about running for that long. The plan is to take it nice and easy and just coast through the miles. I'll let you guys know how everything turns out tomorrow. Smile
    JakeKnight

Why not save it for an actual race? They give you nice dixie cups full of kool-aid and a crappy shirt for car-washing and dusting. Can't be beat.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't drink the Kool-Aid. I'm just sayin'. Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C-R

Don't drink the Kool-Aid. I'm just sayin'. Evil grin
          Is there something wrong with the Kool-Aid? This isn't related to the runner trots thing is it? Just wondering. A non-race marathon - that's hard core. no support - no crowd control (and no crowds) - no dixie cups - no medals - no mylar blankets - just roads and trails. Good luck. Jake might send you a Chia Running tech shirt to commemorate

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I'm shooting for a time of under 4 hours so I can still go to sleep at a reasonable hour. Big grin
            That is the most logical reason for a running goal I have heard Big grin

Just Be

Why not save it for an actual race? They give you nice dixie cups full of kool-aid and a crappy shirt for car-washing and dusting. Can't be beat.
              Honestly, I don't ever plan on racing a real marathon. I do want to participate in at least one - and probably many more - officiated marathon, but I won't race it... my focus is on the 1500m, but I'm coming out of base building in May and figured I'd end it with a bang, and break 200 miles this month. Big grin Oh and yeah, I've used many running events' shirts to wax my car, soo true. Haha!

Just Be

Is there something wrong with the Kool-Aid? This isn't related to the runner trots thing is it? Just wondering. A non-race marathon - that's hard core. no support - no crowd control (and no crowds) - no dixie cups - no medals - no mylar blankets - just roads and trails. Good luck. Jake might send you a Chia Running tech shirt to commemorate
                Thanks for the good luck wishes Smile I think I'll be able to handle it at a slow pace, but I'm really not sure since my longest nonstop run up to this point has been 16 miles. What's another 10 miles on top of that, right? haha. The main issue will be getting through the boredom, I think... but I'm also worried that at some point beyond mile 16 my body will just start protesting like mad and I'll have to quit. I'm all anxious about the outcome - I hate not knowing answers. Tongue
                  What's another 10 miles on top of that, right? haha.
                  A lot more than you think. I'd gradually increase the long runs before attempting.
                  C-R

Run a loop route just in case. Provides a safety net. But the HTFU version is to run and out and back or have someone drop you off and run home. This is what I expect Jake, Scout, Trent or Zoom would do with a liberal mix of beer, monkeys and new shoes thrown in for good measure. Big grin

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Just Be

A lot more than you think. I'd gradually increase the long runs before attempting.
                      Thanks for the warning. I totally agree with you. Sarcasm is difficult to convey in semantics, but that's what the haha was for. I guess I could have used one of the tongue similes. Big grin And, CarmelRunner, I'll be on a 1 mile loop course in my neighborhood so if I have an "Oh god I have to stop now" moment, walking back isn't much of an issue. Smile
                        Thanks for the warning. I totally agree with you. Sarcasm is difficult to convey in semantics, but that's what the haha was for. I guess I could have used one of the tongue similes. Big grin And, CarmelRunner, I'll be on a 1 mile loop course in my neighborhood so if I have an "Oh god I have to stop now" moment, walking back isn't much of an issue. Smile
                        I would make the loop a little longer. Having run a 6 hour event on a 2 mile loop course, I would not run a marathon a 1 mile loop if I could help it. Even if your loop was 4 or 5 miles, you only have a 2 1/2 mile walk home (worst case) if you need to bail. Plus this will help a little with the boredom.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

JakeKnight

And, CarmelRunner, I'll be on a 1 mile loop course in my neighborhood so if I have an "Oh god I have to stop now" moment, walking back isn't much of an issue. Smile
                          You're going to run a one mile loop 26 times? Bring a good book and a pillow.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

C-R

And, CarmelRunner, I'll be on a 1 mile loop course in my neighborhood so if I have an "Oh god I have to stop now" moment, walking back isn't much of an issue. Smile
                            I'm getting dizzy just thinking about that. Confused

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But the HTFU version is to run and out and back or have someone drop you off and run home. This is what I expect Jake, Scout, Trent or Zoom would do with a liberal mix of beer, monkeys and new shoes thrown in for good measure. Big grin
                              Hmmm...shoes and beer? I'm thinking...have a 16 miler planned for in a little bit, but maybe I, too, should go 10.2 miles further. I mean, shoes...and BEER! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just Be

You're going to run a one mile loop 26 times? Bring a good book and a pillow.
                                Haha. It's not as bad as it sounds. My neighborhood is busy with people during nice days like today and a lot of them have begun to know me well these days as that crazy runner guy. Seeing them see me run helps me stay motivated for some reason. I might run to the local high school track which is 3ish miles away, or maybe I can go farther out into the rural streets beyond my neighborhood but not too far out... I guess I'll just play it by ear, I'll have 4 hours to kill and my plan will probably change a lot during the run. Big grin ... the trick is to keep myself from venturing out too far, as was warned already, but I'm sure I'll be tempted at some point during teh run.