Proud of my neighbor! (Read 887 times)

(modified to add) He had actually headed out a month ago but they had him in training in SC and then FL until now. I just got off the phone with my neighbor. He is at the airport down in Florida getting ready to fly out to Frankford Germany and then to the Middle East. He's in the Navy and he's heading out for 6 months of "boots to the ground" as he put it. Odds are that his 6 months will turn into a year, and he's ready for that if need be. I can't quite describe the tone of our conversation. He's a military man, proud and true. He's nervous and excited all at once but wouldn't have it any other way. I asked him all sorts of questions, from where he'll be sleeping to what the guys with him are like, to how his kids feel about his serving and to his plans for when he comes home. He's a little concerned about the weather over there, being that their days are averaging 120 and nights dip down to just 90!! They'll be sleeping in trailers, sort of like the Pod storage containers. He won't have his phone but will have access to e-mail so he gave me his address. He'll be missing his oldest daughter's 16th birthday and is upset about that but she understands as she has plans on joining the Navy in a couple of years. I just wanted to share how proud of my neighbor that I am. And how his phone call made me think of a lot of things that I sometimes forget to value. Sad

Michelle

PWL

Has been

I'm with you. My brother just brought most of his stuff home from Camp Lejeune, NC (dropped off his car, TV, etc). He heads back to NC for 2 weeks, then 3 weeks of desert training at Twentynine Palms, CA, then off to the Middle East. Sounds like he is going to be stationed on the Iraq-Syrian border. Crazy stuff...

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

I just wanted to share how proud of my neighbor that I am. And how his phone call made me think of a lot of things that I sometimes forget to value. Sad
        So true, thanks for sharing that, Michelle, and safe wishes to your neighbor.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

The men and women of our Armed Forces are doing a difficult but excellent job. I retired, after 23 years in the British Military, in June of this year so managed to avoid the Second Gulf and Afghanistan but have an understanding of how individuals feel on Ops through personal experience(Bosnia twice, Northern Ireland and Gulf 1). These 2 Ops are very dirty operations indeed. The quicker the politicians and coalition forces can stabilise both areas and withdraw the better. If I was a betting man though we will be in there for many years to come. Lets wish them God's speed and that as many as possible return alive and un-injured.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lets wish them God's speed and that as many as possible return alive and un-injured.
            Ditto...physically and mentally. I wish your neighbor all the best, Michelle. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hope he and everyone who serves our country know how proud we are of them!! God speed and may he and as many as possible stay safe!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

btb1490

The simple act of going out our front door for a run, just having that freedom that many of us take for granted, is due to the sacrifices that people like your neighbor make for us. Many thanks to him and all the troops that give us our freedoms. May they all return safely to their loved ones. How very nice of you to honor your neighbor.
                  I'm sure that I can speak for everyone over here in that we appreciate your thanks and that your well- wishes mean a great deal to us. Thank you all also.
                    He's in good company. I have a brother and 2 cousins who are all Marines and stationed overseas. It's terrifying and humbling, but I'm honored to have them in my family and serving our country. I think the best thing we can do for them is to always show support and encouragement to them and their families left behind. He'll really appreciate anything you can do to help out his wife and kids (i.e. make sure his daughter has a great 16th birthday). Thanks for sharing and good luck to all of you with friends, family and loved ones stationed here and overseas.
                      E-mail from my neighbor.... Here's part of an e-mail that I got last night from my neighbor, makes me feel much better. Hi Michelle! I'm here - an Army base in Qatar. The scenery in desolate, however the accommodations are more than adequate. We live in storage containers, similar to those you see people renting at their homes in the US. AC and TV, two men to a room. Plenty of food, phone and internet. We have to use calling cards. I haven't managed to nail the calling card process down yet - too many numbers - lol. We're not in harms way by any stretch, but have Patriot batteries here, just for extra insurance. Smile

Michelle

E-mail from my neighbor... Here's part of another e-mail and I was wondering if anyone here could offer me some sound basic advice to pass along - on his request: Usually I run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes 30 seconds, give or take. Would you lend me some advice? My goal is to build endurance and speed. I want to achieve 1.5 miles in less than 10 minutes. Do you think it's possible in 5 months? If so, can you suggest a plan of building to that goal? Tonight I ran 2 miles @ 6.5 MPH

Michelle

Just an update from Ben. He ran a 5k the other day in 27:13! Ben is the one on the bottom row starting from the right, second from the end (the one with the shiny head and no glasses!). Big grin

Michelle

Michelle thanks for sharing. Great that he is so positive about it all! How is his family holding up? My hubby was in active army and toured in both Afghanistan and Iraq. He went to Qatar twice as a get away from Afghanistan. He said its not a bad place at all, especially if you stay within the base. Really glad that he is out of dangers way though. Keep sending lots of love to him and his family.
                              Michelle thanks for sharing. Great that he is so positive about it all! How is his family holding up? My hubby was in active army and toured in both Afghanistan and Iraq. He went to Qatar twice as a get away from Afghanistan. He said its not a bad place at all, especially if you stay within the base. Really glad that he is out of dangers way though. Keep sending lots of love to him and his family.
                              His family is holding up well. Ben is the only one that I know who is actively serving right now. He told me how it's not a dangerous place to be where he's at. Which was refreshing to hear, of course. Before he knew where he was going we weren't sure what to expect and were very nervous for him. He just started with running which is great, he is also working out daily, determined to come home "buff"...as his 16 y/o daughter joked about. Smile

Michelle

He just started with running which is great, he is also working out daily, determined to come home "buff"...as his 16 y/o daughter joked about. Smile
                                Thats great.. keeps him working towards something. My dh did that too. He gained a bunch of muscle while over there and came home much bigger than I had ever seen. He lost it all right after he came home Shy, but it helped him get through his time away. Keeps us posted!