2015 Sub-18 5k (Read 419 times)

Tweeeked

Continuing on the thread from last year. If you indicated in the last thread that you'd try it again this year I added you to the list already. Anyone is welcome to sign up in here - make sure to update us with your progress as well!

Name Age Been sub-18 Date Race Result Notes
    BoilerTom90 50 Yes       Last sub-18: 11/25/2010
    chriskrycho 26 No        
    ctingyu08 29 No       Current PR: 18:08
    danderson1726 30 Yes       Broke 18 first half of 2014
    DCloafer   29 No       Estimated 19:00 shape now
    Dtothe2nd 40 No       Current PR within a 10k: 18:54
    flatfooter 41 No       Current PR: 18:18
    Kcoates1223 27 No       Current PR: 18:35
    kehamm 49  Yes        17:59 on New Year's 
    KellyDodge 44 Yes       18:17 in October
    kencamet  53 Yes       17:54 two years ago
    kilkee   30 Yes       Current PR: 17:22
    kmark 31 No       Current PR: 18:29
    Mendeldave   38 No 30/04 17:41 COMPLETED
    michaelmarty   39 Yes 28/04 17:30 COMPLETED
    MIRich 44 No        Current PR: 18:33
    mnyce 34 No       Current PR: 18:43 
    NaderAlfie   38 No        
    Quint 45 No        
    Redgraffle 38 No       8k PR of 28:48 
    runnershawn   Yes 16/05  ✓ 17:52 COMPLETED
    setantae 37  No        Current PR: 18:00
    Tweeeked 27 No 21/06  ✓  17:39 COMPLETED
    xhristopher 41 Yes        Aiming for spring
    yond 34  No        Current PR: 18:07

Age-graded sub-18: onefatchick

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
    • 10k: sub-36
    • Half: sub-76
    • Full: 2:45 in Boston
    xhristopher

Thanks for starting this up. Apparently this is a hard goal. Last year we had an 11% success rate. I'm in.

Yes please, though it won't be an A goal for the year (that is "do more stuff you enjoy" which really means concentrating on fell running).

38 now, still not done it.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

xhristopher

Thanks for adding me. One tiny minor correction for the sake of accuracy. I'm now 41.

FWIW, I ran a 5K today. It was a steady effort for 18:40. I know I've got more in the tank but not sub 18 more. Hopefully I'll be there in the spring.

run-chris-run

Missed this last year due to injury, so it's sub-18 or bust this year.

29, never been sub-18. PR 18:08.

I'm in... it's been a while since I've broken 18 (11/25/2010)

Just a dude.

Add me please.

I did an 18:17 5k in October and then had some small issues that slowed me down a bit.

I ran 17:53 back in 2010, and that course may have been a shade short. (I was significantly below 18 in my high school and college days...  Wink

I'm pretty certain I have an attempt March 21st to do it. I might be able to do a race Feb 7th, but I'm still looking at a potential scheduling conflict.

I'm 44, will be 45 the end of May.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

kcam

Put me back on the list again.  I was on the list 2014 but never made a serious effort at it being hampered by PF issue most of the last 6 months of the year.  I hobbled through a marathon on Dec 7th for my worst marathon in years and have been resting and getting fat since then.  This year I think I'll pass on running any marathons, restrict to shorter races.

53 now but I won't be ready for serious attempts until the summer when I will be 54 ...  Yes, ran 17:54 when I was 51 so not THAT long ago.

danderson1726

I'm in. This is my third year running after a ten year dry spell following high school. Have struggled with periodic injuries, but I put together a good six month stretch the first half of 2014 and broke 18 twice. Hoping to lower it more and run a decent half this spring. Age 30...

In.  Ran 17:45 last year but am more focused on going sub 3 at Bayshore Marathon.  39 in March.

xhristopher

In.  Ran 17:45 last year but am more focused on going sub 3 at Bayshore Marathon.  39 in March.

Fortunately these goals go together very well.

Sultan of slug

Sure, I'll join this. Age 29, have not run a 5k since high school cross-country. I don't remember my times then, but I wasn't fast. So I don't believe I've gone under 18. Estimated 19-min shape right now.

Where I'm at training-wise

• Hit 50 miles last week for the first time since May! I've been dealing with a calf injury all year. Was at 45 for the prior 3 weeks.
                          • Last week was my first week with workouts since injuring myself in February.
                          • Following Daniels’s 5k-10k plan from the 3rd edition. Now on week 2 of “Phase II”
                          • Tuesday was 200s and 400s at mile pace with full recovery
                          • Thursday was a couple one-mile cruise intervals sandwiched between more 200s
                          • I think I’m training at too low a VDOT, which is OK for now given my injury
                          • More info than anyone wants

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks, looking forward to working on this.  My main goal is a HM in April, so I'll be training for that, but along the way I'll be doing 5Ks to assess my fitness.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kilkee

runktrun

Count me in.  My PR is actually 17:22 (at Penn Relays this year and again on roads), 17:10 on another course by my garmin, but I'm currently limping along with a tear in my hamstring tendon and I suspect 18:00 will feel a lot crappier than it used to Sad  Hammies aren't 100% yet, but I'm at the point where some runs feel totally normal and I'm starting to work in striders.  Goal is a decent time at a road 5k Feb 14th.  Key workout will be 8 x 400 @ 81-80 + 4 x 400 @ 76, with plenty of strides on easy days to focus on mechanics.  Bigger goal is a fast half, but my weakness is speed and mechanics.  My 5k PR pace (5:35) is way too close to my 10k PR pace (5:39)  :P

I'll be 30 at the end of the month.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Tweeeked

Table has been updated up to this post!

Good luck everyone! Looks like we have a lot more people who have previously broken this barrier than we did last year - hopefully we'll get a better percentage of completions.

2016 Goals:

• 5k: sub-16:30
                                • 10k: sub-36
                                • Half: sub-76
                                • Full: 2:45 in Boston