Army Ten Miler Training Plan (Read 952 times)

Dave

OK, I want to see some volunteers here. I'm recruiting (maybe a poor choice of words) beginner runners for the world's most simple and straight forward 10 miler training program perhaps in the history of running. I will virtually guarantee that regardless of your current level of fitness, you will be able to finish the Army 10 miler this year and run the entire way. Of course, since there is no charge for this plan, the guarantee doesn't mean much. I didn't create this plan but I thought I'd pass it along. The Army ten miler takes place in October each year through Washington DC starting and ending at the Pentagon. It is one of the largest if not the largest 10 miler event in the country. In addition to whatever else you're running, here's the plan: January - Long run of at least 1 mile February - Long run of at least 2 miles March - Long run of at least 3 miles .... I'm sure you get the idea. You increase your long run by 1 mile every 4 weeks (pretty mild) and by September, you've got a 9 miler under your belt and you're ready to go. Alright!! Who's with me Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Sounds great Dave, if DC wasn't quite so far from Boston I'd be joining you. I've run one marathon and if I continue (and I'm pretty sure I will) I've got the Marine Corps Marathon on my to-do list. Sir, yes sir!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

So.. since my (most recent) long run was four miles (I know, I'm terrible at this), I can just sleep until May when everybody else catches up? Wink
        "The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven or hell." –John Milton "Life is short. Break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."

Slow-smooth-fast

should be a piece of cake, seeing as though I begun at 265 lbs at walk/run a mile, and within 2 months I ran 11 mile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Dave

should be a piece of cake, seeing as though I begun at 265 lbs at walk/run a mile, and within 2 months I ran 11 mile
            Absolutely. I'm kind of shooting for the C25K crowd here who are looking for a more aggressive goal than just finishing a 5K. There will probably be some folks out there that are coming off a big time holiday binge (eating not running) and are looking at a New Year's resolution to get back in shape. 10 miles might sound like an unattainable goal. It really isn't. As Eddy said, it is a piece of cake. But only if you put a mark on the wall and shoot for it. This is a simple plan but not one that a newbie wants to start in July. See you in May, Deviant. Cool And seriously, if anyone does want to sign up, you need to do it just as soon as the race opens up to registrations in April. http://www.armytenmiler.com/ Even after the awful experience some had last year on a really hot day (some stations out of water, one guy died at the end), I suspect that it will fill up fast. And you can bet you won't see a repeat of the logistical issues.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Sounds great Dave, if DC wasn't quite so far from Boston I'd be joining you. I've run one marathon and if I continue (and I'm pretty sure I will) I've got the Marine Corps Marathon on my to-do list. Sir, yes sir!
              Great plan to motivate, I too hope to run the Marine Corp. Marathon in the next couple of years while visiting my son at Quantico. Looking at Dave's running log I see a lot of familiar names of places my son talks about. OOH-RAH
              I love to eat, therefore I must run!
                Eddy, Eddy, Eddy (shakes head). I don't think you realize how exceptional your progress has been, people like you are the reason they have to add "results not typical" to any of the advertisements for weight loss programs. Seems to me that you are a gifted and driven individual out on the edge of the bell curve. Even though most probably don't realize just how much more performance they could get from current conditioning levels, we mere mortals don't often have that kind of magic working for us. Smile

E.J.

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Slow-smooth-fast

Even though most probably don't realize just how much more performance they could get from current conditioning levels, we mere mortals don't often have that kind of magic working for us. Smile
                  Sorry didnt mean to sound egocentric. I by no means am exceptional, just hard working and dedicated, and I dont know if you intended the pun, but I am a magician so I do have magic on my side!lol Wink

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Sorry didnt mean to sound egocentric. I by no means am exceptional, just hard working and dedicated, and I dont know if you intended the pun, but I am a magician so I do have magic on my side!lol Wink
                    Since your first posts, I've found your reports to be pretty amazing (particularly your first fells run). You seem to be too straightforward to be egocentric, I just wanted to point out the magnitude of your performance. Physically you may not be exceptional, but your results are and I can't attribute that to anything other than your hard work and dedication. Pun intended Smile Keep doing what you're doing.

E.J.

thumbs up!

Is there more to the "plan" than just increasing mileage 1 mile per month? I won't be in the Army race, but am very interested. My long run comfort zone is around 4 miles. I would love to increase with a long term goal of a HM.
                      2010 Goals
                      1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                      2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                      3. sub 30 min 5k
                      4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                        The Army ten miler takes place in October each year through Washington DC starting and ending at the Pentagon. It is one of the largest if not the largest 10 miler event in the country.
                        For those of us from the West coast, it's kinda far to travel for a 10-miler. It would be worth it if the Army would have the "Army 50-miler"... just 5 repeats of the route...

Dave

Is there more to the "plan" than just increasing mileage 1 mile per month?
                          Not really that much more to it. Since I sort of promised a plan I should probably flesh it out a bit. Adding 1 mile per month to your long run is a very conservative approach to extending your long run. But to do it beyond May or June, you'll need to increase your mid-week runs so that your weekly long run (did I mention you should do it a couple of times in the month?) are about a third of your weekly mileage. If you assume 4 runs per week at least to start, you've got 3 easy runs and a long run at easy pace per week. So starting in May (assuming the 30% rule), you'd need to have mid-week runs totalling about 10 miles to support the 5 mile long run (just over 3 miles for your regular runs). Ignoring the early months, it might look like: May - 3 x 3 miles easy, long run 5 = 14 miles per week June - 3 x 4 miles easy, long run 6 = 18 miles per week July - 3 x 4 miles easy, long run 7 = 19 miles per week August - 4 x 4 miles easy, long run 8 = 24 miles per week 1st two weeks of Sept - 2 x 4 miles easy, 2 x 5 miles easy, long run 9 = 27 miles per week Then taper for 2 weeks prior to the 10 miler. OK, that looks more like a plan. If you're struggling to go over 4, I'm wondering if you're running at a fairly easy, conversational pace. If not, slow down a bit and you should be able to extend that without too much difficulty.

dgb2n@yahoo.com