Newbie with Lower Leg and Ankle Pain (Read 407 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Newbie here. Completed C25K in October and worked up to running an hour 3x/week at a very slow pace. In mid December my ankles started hurting a bit so I went back to the running store and had them check my shoes. They said shoes were good but orthotics were worn, so they put me in a new pair of orthotics - slightly more cushioned than the last pair. Went home, put them in, and ran an easy 3.5 miles on the treadmill and felt fine. Next day I could barely walk with severe pain in lower legs (tibia). Saw a sports doc who thought I had stress fractures in both legs, so had an MRI. Fortunately, the MRI was OK, so now I'm just in PT for 6 weeks and am scheduled to be measured for custom orthotics this Wednesday. (I have no arch in my feet) Most of the pain now has moved down into my ankle (inside) where the muscle attaches, although I still have some pain up the leg. At first PT said I could do whatever I wanted as long as I didn't have severe pain. I've had no improvement in 4 sessions, so now they said I can only walk or run in the pool - no cycling, elliptical, running, or treadmill walking. They tried an ultrasound treatment yesterday which caused excruciating pain. I'm icing on the hour for 20 minutes, keeping it elevated, doing the stretching they've given me. Today I ran in the pool for 13 minutes before the pain set in. Anyone have any ideas on what else I could be doing and how long this takes to go away. All I want to do is run again . . .