Interesting Reuters Story (Read 904 times)

Junior Amphibian

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

Very nice to see! Kind of common sense really but there IS so much sensational hype about the "dangers" of running etc. that as a new runner I find it hard to not worry about it some times. Thanks MTA: I do wish they would provide links to the actual journal article for these... so frustrating trying to find the things and I tend to never trust the media spin and usually like to read the most interesting ones myself. Anybody have a link?
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run
        The actual article is here: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/168/15/1638 BUT you will need to be logged onto a computer, usually either a hospital or University computer, that has a subscription to this Journal to access the full article. This relates to a bigger debate in science about whether publicly funded research should be publicly available. The success of PLoS (Public Library of Science) and their Journals bodes well for the future. PLoS is a nonprofit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific and medical literature a freely available public resource. The Chakravarty et al study was supported by grants from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases and the National Institute on Aging, both part of the National Institutes of Health, an agency of the United States Deparrtment of Health and Human Services. In other words it was supported by your tax dollars.
        Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
          Thanks for the link... PhD student here so I spend more time with those online journals than I'd like Wink somedays I wish my online access would go away. LOL I agree with you on the public access issue especially since, as you point out, often we are the ones paying for it. I know that my own research wouldn't be happening with out tax dollar support!
          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
          • Complete a 10K fun run
            I like the last sentence: "The study also showed that people cannot use the risk of injury as an excuse not to run -- the runners had fewer injuries of all kinds, including to their knees." Another great reason not to avoid running. Tom
              yes but for every common sense article like that there is another that fuels the "it is ok to be a fat sloth... " mentality... http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080811/hl_nm/obesity_dc;_ylt=AoQfknanVlXKbQxb.UqlFTYR.3QA ---- sorry woke up cranky and saw that at the bottom of the article as a link along with "Surprise! Half of overweight adults may be heart-healthy AP" which makes propels the idea why be healthy... health is luck of the draw... and that being fit and thin are just a wasted effort... with stupid misleading statments like this...
              Almost one-third of obese adults, or nearly 20 million people, also were in this healthy range, meaning that none or only one of those measures was abnormal. Yet about a fourth of adults in the recommended-weight range had unhealthy levels of at least two of these measures. That means some 16 million of them are at risk for heart problems. It's no secret that thin people can develop heart-related problems and that fat people often do not
              perhaps that should be rewritten as 1/3 of obese people still have normal levels of of blood pressure, cholesterol, blood fats called triglycerides and blood sugar Where 3/4 of adults in the recomended weight range had one or no abnormal levels. If you are thin and fit it doesn't guaranteed you will not have a heart related problem but then again if you are fat you might be one of the 1/3 of people who dont' die as a result of your obesity. this message was sponsored by the packaged food industry
                "Our study shows you can still be healthy even if you are obese," Wylie-Rosett said. CAN is a loaded word. You CAN make the major leagues if you are obese but it is only going to hurt your chances and not help. You CAN be healthy and obese but you could be more healthy if you were not obese. I think this is just a "I'm ok-you're ok-it's ok to be fat" kind of group hug article. It is also interesting to see the awareness studies. I am going to make up the numbers here because I am too lazy to look them up but I saw a UK study showing something like 55% of adults were "overweight" in 2005 vs. 45% in 1990. But of those that fit in the "overweight"category 80% recognized themselves as such in 1990 while only 65% did in 2005. Meaning we look around and say "hey I'm not so bad..." Maybe the days of our floating chairs as in the movie Wall-E are not so far away. Smile

A Saucy Wench

I wonder how much of that second study took any kind of fitness into account. Because I know lots of skinny people who are so out of shape. And I was relatively fit while still overweight. Even when I was obese, I could still run several miles etc. Although I do know that my very very obese friend has completely normal blood panels. His cholesterol is lower than mine. On the other hand he is considering selling his house to move to a 1 story because stairs are too difficult. There is more to life than how long you live it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

It is also interesting to see the awareness studies. I am going to make up the numbers here because I am too lazy to look them up but I saw a UK study showing something like 55% of adults were "overweight" in 2005 vs. 45% in 1990. But of those that fit in the "overweight"category 80% recognized themselves as such in 1990 while only 65% did in 2005. Meaning we look around and say "hey I'm not so bad..." Maybe the days of our floating chairs as in the movie Wall-E are not so far away. Smile
                    I believe this. Even at my heaviest I thought I was " just a bit overweight". I really didnt SEE that much difference between me at 185 and me at 145. I see a difference now but it isnt as dramatic as the pictures show. But I have noticed that I see people that I used to think were "really tiny" as normal weight now. Because they are the same size as me. But that took over a year of being at a healthy weight for me to see myself as the same size as them.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Queen of 3rd Place

I read that and thought DUH, of course some overweight folks are healthy - I would bet anyone a six-pack of your favorite microbrew that family history is a major factor here. Arla

Ex runner

I wonder how much of that second study took any kind of fitness into account. Because I know lots of skinny people who are so out of shape. And I was relatively fit while still overweight. Even when I was obese, I could still run several miles etc. Although I do know that my very very obese friend has completely normal blood panels. His cholesterol is lower than mine. On the other hand he is considering selling his house to move to a 1 story because stairs are too difficult. There is more to life than how long you live it.
                          I love what you wrote, Ennay! There are a lot of "skinny" people who are actually fat. Some of the sumo wrestlers, believe it or not, have something like less than 10% body fat (some, of course not all!). Body weight/height ratio is also just one measurement. It really doesn't say much at all in terms of health and fitness. Some of the body builder has very low body fat. That does not necessarily mean they are strong; some of them (most of them) have very low aerobic fitness. Cholestrole level is one of those things that I don't think we know enough about. I believe now some people are saying the level of cholesterole, either high density or low density, may not mean much to "predict" your fitness level, or even the risk of future heart attack. As far as I'm concerned, a lot of what reserach says is not quite decisive at all. What scientific researches do is try to put some colleration to two or more factors. But the truth is; I don't think we know that much of cause-result relationships of a lot of things. It COULD help us understand a lot of things; but at the same time, we always need to keep them in to certain perspective. I remember an article that came out decades ago in Playboy magazine (I was just reading that article, I swear! ;o)) that said how bad running was for you. That kind of article ALWAYS keep popping out. It's best to ignore it. If some newspaper reporter says that you CAN be fat and live longer at the same time, it's really not worth spending any of your "worries" to it. In most cases, people just want to stir things up a bit. I know of this college professor with Ph D who said, "It's amazing how many people are running today. It almost makes me want NOT to run just because so many people are running..." That's the kind of people who might write some negative article about exercising. He might put some research put together, trying to "prove" his point of running is bad for you, with that in mind to beging with, conduct some research. And just because he has Ph D, some of us might even listen and waste our worries. Pity...
                            I see a problem with the study. From the jest of it, it seems that the study chose people that where already exercising. If you are in middle to late life and you are capable of heavy exercise that means you where healthy to begin with. If you weren't healthy you shouldn't be able to be very active. A better way to have done it (though probably not practical) would be to find a large group that had never previously exercised consistently, Have half of them begin exercise and the other group would not be allowed to exercise. Then check in on these two groups in 20 years or so. Would be great if humans made bettery guiena pigs, however though there is that whole thing called ethics. <-damn stupid rules lol stupid="" rules=""></-damn stupid rules lol>
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

And why has my cholesterol gone UP this past year, from 181 to 222?? I lost 14 pounds in that time, 35 pounds overall. I was running a little two years ago (when my cholesterol was 212), but I've run a LOT more this past year. My diet hasn't changed. Blech.
                                Teresa, Believe it or not, your actual weight has less to do with your cholesterol than your genes and your eating habits. I'm consider rather thin, but my cholesterol climbed from 190 to something in the 200s a few years back. As my DR explained at the time, it is also a factor of getting older where you body doesn't process stuff the same way. If I remember right, it's a function of the liver. I have since found out that all 4 of my older siblings and my Mother has high cholesterol and all take medication to control and yet all still have high cholesterol. I manage my through the exercise (it helps) and more importantly, through diet. Unfortunetly, I'm not real strict on my diet but more selective. The mistake I made the first year, was that I ate a lot of salads with lots of salad dressings. My cholesterol went up. When I actually read the label on a bottle of salad dressing I understood why, they are all high in fat. We have swithced to lite or Fat free dressings now. I also switched form butter (love butter) to imitation stuff which is ligth. The wife has switch all oils over to sunflowe and olive oil. I eat a lot less red meat, I almost completely cut out McDonals/Burger King etc, going form 4-5 times a week to 4-5 times a year. I eliminated cheese from sandwichs, but still will eat cheese from time to time. Unfortunately, my wife loves cheeses and dishes with cheese like Chicken parmigan last night. Bottom line, is that my cholesterol is under 200 again and I go for my yearly physical in a few weeks. The Dr didn't like my level of HDL and LDL last year, but I haven't really changed much to improve them. One of the bad things I still use is regular Milk which is not good for you, but I hate skim milk. I know I have to try to get to like it (or tolerate it) and was just thinking about it the other day. My other problem, is that we eat out at least once week and very few restaurants offer low fat dressings. I've been considering carrying my own. So my advice is this: 1. If you can, find out what your families history is 2. Take a look at your diet and look at ways you can change and pay attention to the labels.
                                And why has my cholesterol gone UP this past year, from 181 to 222?? I lost 14 pounds in that time, 35 pounds overall. I was running a little two years ago (when my cholesterol was 212), but I've run a LOT more this past year. My diet hasn't changed. Blech.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"