Anyone ran a half marathon? (Read 289 times)

megb330

Running has been my primary method of working out and staying in shape.  For a typical workout, I run about 4 miles at about a 11 min per mile pace.  I want to push myself and start training for a half marathon but am a little nervous.  I've looked up suggested training regimens and feel that it is something that I can accomplish.  Does anyone out there have any tips/suggestions/warnings about running a half marathon?  Thanks!

Give yourself plenty of time (at least several months) to prepare.

Start by building up a base of miles at the pace you are running now- by this I mean gradually increase your weekly mileage.

Gradually extend your long run, and /or add additional day(s) of running.

When you are able to run continuously for an hour or 10kms you are probably ready to start a specific training program for the half.

I would suggest you make your log public and give us more details about yourself to get more responses as we can only give the most general advice based on what little we know so far.

You might consider a few shorter races as intermediate goals before heading for a half marathon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

xhristopher

What is the frequency of these workouts?

There are lots of cookie cutter 1/2M training programs out there.

http://bit.ly/VfywIp

#artbydmcbride

Race a couple of 10ks first.  Smile

Runners run

Race a couple of 10ks first.  Smile

That's actually great advice. A friend of mine, a new "runner", asked me about a fall 1/2M that he could run. He was certain he wanted to try a 1/2M, that is until he ran in a 10K over the summer. That was just unpleasant enough to completely change his mind.  I think he'll stick to 5Ks

If you read some posts in the sub 2:00hour half marathon thread in this racing section, there are many beginners and advanced people who have been free with their advice and training programs.  I point you there so if you go back far enough you can follow some of the advice and see how it helped them to complete the half mara race.  I recently ran my first official half marathon last month.  But in training I have ran around 20 or so maybe.   It is a great distance and sometimes I really like it!

5k  = 19.48 10/1/13

10k  = 45.28 4/16/13

Half Marathon = 1:38.53  Summer Sizzle 7/13/14

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/12  4:39.11

Solo O Marathon 06/02/13  3:52:10

Operation Jack Marathon 12/26/13 3:40.34

That's actually great advice. A friend of mine, a new "runner", asked me about a fall 1/2M that he could run. He was certain he wanted to try a 1/2M, that is until he ran in a 10K over the summer. That was just unpleasant enough to completely change his mind.  I think he'll stick to 5Ks

It is good advice, as far as getting some races under your belt first, but personally, I'd much rather run a half marathon than a 10k. I find 10k's difficult....I feel I should try to run faster, because it's "only" a 10k. In a half, I stick with a more comfortable pace. Obviously I'm not finishing these at the front of the pack. I guess my point is that I hope your friend doesn't give up on doing the half because he found the 10k difficult.

It is good advice, as far as getting some races under your belt first, but personally, I'd much rather run a half marathon than a 10k. I find 10k's difficult....I feel I should try to run faster, because it's "only" a 10k. In a half, I stick with a more comfortable pace. Obviously I'm not finishing these at the front of the pack. I guess my point is that I hope your friend doesn't give up on doing the half because he found the 10k difficult.

That's exactly why he's giving up on the 1/2M.  He doesn't and didn't try to kill himself in the 10K, and it still was not a pleasant experience. It was simply a function of the length of the race. The 1/2M isn't going to be any better, for him, at this point in time.

That's exactly why he's giving up on the 1/2M.  He doesn't and didn't try to kill himself in the 10K, and it still was not a pleasant experience. It was simply a function of the length of the race. The 1/2M isn't going to be any better, for him, at this point in time.

Gotcha....probably wise to not go for the half at this point, in that case.

ginnyb

I followed a Smart Coach 1/2 marathon plan on runners world.com  for my first half.  It is free and it worked for me.  I didn't start running longer distances until my late 50's, I have run over 20 now and I am 64.  Even ran one marathon 2 weeks before my 60th birthday.  You can do it, if you want to do it.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15