Not the best way to win a race (Read 1322 times)

HermosaBoy

I refuse to look at the definition provided by SRL.  I just think that is a made up word, and somehow made it into a dictionary like texting. 

Made up word?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I still don't know what that word means.  Let me see how long my innocence lasts.

Supererogatory movies used to be called XXX.

I refuse to look at the definition provided by SRL.  I just think that is a made up word, and somehow made it into a dictionary like texting. 

First Known Use of SUPEREROGATORY

In 1593, somebody got the courage to say or write this word and I'm sure that somebody said "Whatchu talkin' about?" or "Say What?".

Ever play "words with friends" or "hanging with friends", and some 'friend' of yours uses a word that nobody ever uses?  I just quit the game and let them win.

I'm not the smartest guy, and my use of the English language is limited to words that others use.  (For all you intellectual elitists who now think I'm stupid... I'm not.  I just believe that the majority of the audience should understand the words you use).

When people chime in with unused words (or seldom used words), I question them...

BTW, I'm not talking about Stadjak or Jeff or ....

Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

When people chime in with unused words (or seldom used words), I question them...

BTW, I'm not talking about Stadjak or Jeff or ....

Smile

You guys are a hoot.

Sorry, didn't know the word was that rare -- it gets uncommon usage in some of my circles.  In this context it usually refers to something beyond a moral obligation: above and beyond the call of duty.  When you run into a burning building to save a stranger's child; nobody could morally obligate you to do that.

I'd say I'd take the reaction as a call to dumb down my posts (or "stop putting on airs" if that's what people think), but it's hard to know what people know.  In college, I spent an afternoon with these guys talking about synesthesia, which they took as common and couldn't believe I didn't know the word: of course, they were all drug-adventurers.

Anyway, now you're all prepped for the GRE! Wink

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Anyway, now you're all prepped for the GRE! Wink

What's the order of when these events happen during the marathon: GRE, synesthesia, wall ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

mikeymike

I like it when people use words I don't know.  It's a chance to learn something and a reminder that there's a whole big world out there.

Runners run

L Train

I'm pretty sure I know all of the words. 

HermosaBoy

I'm pretty sure I know all of the four letter words. 

Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

I've only seen supererogatory used in referencce to someone with a supererogatory nipple.  Shy (third)

Runners run

xor

It is nice to know that at the age of 45, I'm ready for the GRE.

It's a big world out there.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, honestly, how many of you knew the meaning of supererogatory before stadjak extended our little minds?  My hand is down.

xor

Okay, honestly, how many of you knew the meaning of supererogatory before stadjak extended our little minds?  My hand is down.

Mine is too.  Which is why I posted the definition.  It's cool.  I'm still not sure I understood the post, but that's my issue.

Now that I know this new cool word, perhaps I will use it.  Just wish it didn't start with supererererer.

I have nothing against new words, but ones with a "g" or a "j" sound just don't agree with me.  pejorative, subrogation, synergy  - you get the idea.  

Vocabulary donnybrook!!!

xor

The only person able to beat Superman is Supererman.