How does HM pace *feel* -- is it "conversational"? (Read 1420 times)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I don't get this.  I'm pretty sure my effort increases as the race progresses.  OK, perceived effort.  More so the shorter the race distance.  If you are going my perceived effort alone, I'm pretty sure you'll be running a massive positive split.

In a HM, I'd be blowing smoke if I said HM pace in mile 13 requires the same (perceived) effort as in mile 1.  In my last HM I recall saying a few sentences to the guy I was running with around mile 8...something like "let's run down that guy".  After that, not so much...

Umm... I don't think that's what she's saying. Yes, it gets harder as the race goes on.

I think Ennay's statement was more along the lines of, "All races are (or feel) equally hard - if actually 'raced' at appropriate effort for the distance."

(Not saying I've interpreted this perfectly, but suspect I'm close. And, I agree - which is probably why I'm interpreting it the way I am.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Though HM pace in the race is quite comfortable for me until the last 2-3 miles, it is damn hard in training. I would not want to talk at all in a training run at that pace.

But I think it's a different feel for different runners. I paced a friend in her HM PR attempt ..

My experience corresponds to this; I've found that some people can talk and some can not, even in the first half of a 5K, and even considering only people who run at near my speed.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Umm... I don't think that's what she's saying. Yes, it gets harder as the race goes on.

I think Ennay's statement was more along the lines of, "All races are (or feel) equally hard - if actually 'raced' at appropriate effort for the distance."

(Not saying I've interpreted this perfectly, but suspect I'm close. And, I agree - which is probably why I'm interpreting it the way I am.)

Well, yes but the statement  "I don't find EFFORT changes as I speed up" did not read that way (in my small mind).  No matter; there is not a lot of conversation going on in the 2nd half of any race, if you are at "race effort".

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Based on my personal experience I agree that more experienced runners have a more realistic view of how hard an effort is sustainable, less experienced runners are reluctant to push hard. (This agrees with the scumbag brain theory.)

In the only race I have really run at the limit, which was my seventh half, I set an unofficial PB for 10k, which still stands, though I don't count it. As I slowed down a few strides across the finish line I collided with a volunteer and my knees buckled. I could not stand without help for at least 30 seconds. There is no way I could have spoken in the last 5k of that race.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Mike2921

I ran my first marathon and finished in 2:03 also. I don't know what my HR was. Or my BPM. Or my TDY. Or my XAF. Or my CPS. Or my cadence.

I couldn't talk at all.

But I think it was because I'd accidentally pulled the covers over my head -- when I woke up, I spit them out.

Hmmm....
            I said that I ran my first half marathon in 2:03.

I wish it had been a full, that would have been really impressive, LOL.