YakTrax (Read 114 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I've never used YakTrax but I have a trail marathon tomorrow morning and we just got 8 inches of snow, probably more where the race is.

I'm thinking I need something to add to my running shoes.  If I buy a pair of YakTrax, do you think that will do it?

Also, how are they to run with?  Is it weird?  Looks like you'd feel them in odd spots of the bottoms of the feet.

Anyone have experience with these or something similar I might consider?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

I ran in YakTrax Runs for a couple hundred snow/ice miles.  They are good on hard pack and ice (this is just the run models--they have spikes), but do little for loose snow.  From advice in another thread here on RA, I got Stabilicer Sports this winter.  I think they're pretty comparable in traction to the YakTrax Runs...but the Stabilicers have replaceable cleats.  The YakTrax do, indeed, feel lumpy under my feet unless I'm wearing a trail shoe with a rock plate.  Even with that, they make my feet feel awfully tired after ~12-18 miles in them.

I've only gone ~14 in the Stabilicers, but they caused WAY less foot fatigue for me.  They also seem like they are a lot more durable for many people.

All that said...if the trail has 8 inches of fresh snow, I'm not sure how much help there will be to be had.  The Stabilicers have a nice "powder strap" to keep them on your feet, at least.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not sure they'd be of much benefit in deep, fresh snow.  Where they shine is packed, white icy stuff.

They're not bad to run with, as long as you're not trying to run on bare pavement…then they're very noticeable and not comfortable (and that will destroy them fast).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

joescott

Not sure they'd be of much benefit in deep, fresh snow.  Where they shine is packed, white icy stuff.

They're not bad to run with, as long as you're not trying to run on bare pavement…then they're very noticeable and not comfortable (and that will destroy them fast).

+1.  Perfect review of the YakTrax.

I ran 13 miles in them yesterday on a mix of packed snow, slush, wet pavement.  They were a lot better than nothing, but are a bit annoying on the pavement parts.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

ultramarathon/triathlete

I just picked up a pair of YakTrax pro at EMS.  They were the only ones of the various types that were in my size so it made the decision easy.  They said if I hate them, I can return them.

The whole race is on trails so asphalt/cement won't be an issue.  Plus, it's a loop that I'll do two or 3 times (I forget which) so eventually I assume the snow will be packed down.

We'll see what happens.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
            Gatorade Endurance Team

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I have a trail marathon tomorrow morning and we just got 8 inches of snow

Wow, that's nuts.  I imagine you'll contend for the purse in those conditions, though.  I echo was other said about cleats.  The thing I'd probably look into is a gaiter.

gaiter

Otherwise, you'll have snow in your shoes and clinging to your ankles all day long.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Doug-

I just picked up a pair of YakTrax pro at EMS.  They were the only ones of the various types that were in my size so it made the decision easy.  They said if I hate them, I can return them.

The whole race is on trails so asphalt/cement won't be an issue.  Plus, it's a loop that I'll do two or 3 times (I forget which) so eventually I assume the snow will be packed down.

We'll see what happens.

Good Luck!!  I like how YakTrax are removed within seconds, & re-installed in seconds. So if you don't like them for part of the conditions it's an easy fix mid-run.

Again, good luck in your marathon, I'm impressed!

moonlightrunner

I am a trail runner..and yak trax extremes have TOTALLY made my snow running faster, easier and less stress on my feet and ankles from running on uneven snow. The pros and regular yak trax are worthless on trails. If you atlre running very technical stuff...I suggest katollah (so?) micro spikes. they are better constructed.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k