1st Marathon Sunday, Taper Madness, My Taper Run Times are in TOILET! Arrghh! (Read 954 times)

tanstaafl

Endorphin Addict

I'm running my first mary on Sunday after months of preparation that's included a couple of halfs and other races of varying lengths. I've logged 1200+ miles of running to date, and my 'best' long run was 21 miles @ 9:02 pace on October 27th. I've been pretty injury free, but I had to take part of the week of the 11-17th off due to a sore arch, but I still ran 14 on the 17th right around 9:05, which is my target marathon pace... but... ever SINCE... It feels like a monkey has jumped on my back. I've slowed way down and I can't figure out why, but I'm struggling to run 9:40 in taper runs. I know you're supposed to run slower in taper than marathon pace, but its freaking me that either a) my body and/or b) my head is doing this to me. I did a T-Day run, a 10K, and did horrible for me, running just under 59:00 for a 10K. That's horrible, and I was pushing the whole way just to get that time. I'm worried that I peaked too soon and that I'm really, really going to suck. My goal is to break 4:30 - I should do that, its the California International Marathon course which is supposed to be 'fast' - but I have this vision of really sucking and doing a 5+ hour marathon. Argghhh. Is it normal for taper to do this? I ran 3 this morning at 9:40, I'm supposed to run 5 tomorrow, rest Wed, 5 thursday, 3 Friday and then the Marathon. Should I just quit worrying about time and run the damn thing on Sunday and let the chips fall as they may?
    Two bikes, Two Legs, Two Feet...
    Scout7

Alright, buddy, look.... Relax, this is common for taper time. Breathe.......

Dog-Love

Wow you are making me nervouse about my little hill run today. You have trained! You are resting this week...and you will probably pull a 4:20:00 and wonder what you were worried about! Good luck to you.
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Muwahahahaha!!! Evil grin I haven't yet run a marathon, but I've tapered for 3 HMs and a 25k. In the days leading up to the race I often have some crappy runs AND feel like I must have at least a half dozen stress fractures in both legs and that I am coming down with the bubonic plague. The taper madness has struck... You're gonna do great! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Golden Buff

Yup! You're feeling just right, especially for your first marathon. Just did my second marathon on November 17 and felt crappy on my runs. Couldn't finish a couple of my longer runs during taper. Wondered what the h*ll I was thinking signing up for the full instead of the half on a hilly course no less. Then went out and PR'd by 57 minutes, running just under 4:23. You're going to do GREAT! Cool
            Curt
            tanstaafl

Endorphin Addict

Heh. Thanks for the replies. There's nothing worse than a Type A personality mixed with Type B- athletic ability.

Heh. Thanks for the replies. There's nothing worse than a Type A personality mixed with Type B- athletic ability.
                Heh, yeah, you are right on schedule with the taper. That's how it works. You'll feel pretty crappy until the day before or even the day of the race, but once the gun goes off and you cross the line and start moving, you'll be fine. The trick is not going too nuts in the meantime.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Relax and keep thinking positively! You've trained well. You'll do great and have fun along the way. Crossing that finish line will be so awesome! Smile

Michelle

tanstaafl, I ran Philly a week ago Sunday and was feeling the same way the week before the race. Remember all your training is done!!! Your just resting up and carbo loading this week. If you did 21 miles at around a 9:00 pace in training, I don't think you'll have any trouble breaking 4:30. I ran a 4:20. I did my training runs at 9:45-10:30 depending on how I felt and the distance. During the race I was at about a 9:10 pace until 9 miles then slowed a bit, coming in at the half at 2:02. My pace thru 20 miles was about 9:36, but miles 18, 19 & 20 were around 10:00 miles. The last 6 miles were difficult and I averaged about 11:00-11:20 miles. Philly was my 2nd maratho. I took 31 minutes off of my first, which was Boston in April, which I did 4:51. Hope this helps. Bob
                    tanstaafl

Endorphin Addict

Thanks for all the positive encouragement! My run mojo came back yesterday. I ran 5.1 miles at an 8:48 - certainly faster than what I need to do well. Weather looks good for Race Day... and Twitmeyer is registered to run (he lives up in Auburn). Should be fun!

Another Passion

Good luck! Have an awesome race! Big grin

Rick
                        "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                        "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                        runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Go Pre!

Should I just quit worrying about time and run the damn thing on Sunday and let the chips fall as they may?
                          You will post a race report correct? When you do, I suspect it will be around 4 hours based. Relax, enjoy.

Go Pre!

(And let us see your profile and training log)