weight lifting & cardio (Read 2097 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

Is it better to do your cardio (running, biking, etc) before or after you do your weight lifting/strength training? Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Run the race God set B4U

I always heard that cardio gets the muscles all warmed up for optimized weight training...sounds good enough for me to believe Smile
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
        Definately if your going to lift you want to do some kind of a warm up first (run a mile or two, or ride the bike, or elipitical -however you spell it)... But I think the problem comes if your planning on lifting heavy and also want to run 5 or 6 on the same day....at which time I would recommend you do first what is more important to you. I would normally run my normal 5 or 6 miles and then lift, but I might poop out when trying to lift....but for me that is better the lifting heavy and then getting too tired to run.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Definately if your going to lift you want to do some kind of a warm up first (run a mile or two, or ride the bike, or elipitical -however you spell it)... But I think the problem comes if your planning on lifting heavy and also want to run 5 or 6 on the same day....at which time I would recommend you do first what is more important to you. I would normally run my normal 5 or 6 miles and then lift, but I might poop out when trying to lift....but for me that is better the lifting heavy and then getting too tired to run.....
          Exactly. Depends on your goals. If running is the priority, run first. But you'll be pretty tired and your muscle glycogen will be pretty depleted when you go to lift weights. For fat loss I've read that it is better to weight train, then do cardio. Endless debate with that one but that seems to work best for me. But if you're priority is to run better/faster/more, do that first.

AroundTheHorn

I normally lift first, run second. Trust me, you'll always have more energy on a run after working out than vice versa.
            Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.

A Saucy Wench

I definitely run better after weights than I lift after a run. But I have no choice in the matter. I run at 5:30 am I lift at 9.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Weights first, then cardio. Whichever one you do second is going to suffer because you're already tired. And its a lot easier to hurt yourself with weights (ie: dropping a weight on your head) than when you're running...
                Trigirl

I would suggest making them into two workouts if you want to be 'serious' about both...I do weights separately so that it won't affect my swim, bike and run workouts since my weights are supposed to be supplementary to them. I space them out so if I do a long run in the am, I may do upper body weights later in the day/evening type thing. Just a thought..... Smile

2010 results: Muskoka long course: 2km-55km-15km- 1st in age group (qualified for Ironman Canada), 4th female amateur overall; Smith Falls triathlon- first female overall; 5 km Canada Day running race- 20:42 (fourth female overall). My first pure running race! Quinte triathlon 1.5-40km-10km Second female overall; Ktown triathlon -first female overall (2km-55km-15km) Mt Forest triathlon (500-20km-5km) 1st female overall; Brockville triathlon (750-20-5km) 1st place female overall

2011 results: (Racing with Piriformis syndrome-ouch)  Sydenham Triathlon- 1st female overall; Peterborough Triathlon-4th female (out of 185)and 1st in age group.....

Ditto to what Trigirl said! Also try not to do weights the same day as a speedworkout, hills or long run.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

TRIing to beat the heat!

I do weights separately so that it won't affect my swim, bike and run workouts since my weights are supposed to be supplementary to them. I space them out so if I do a long run in the am, I may do upper body weights later in the day/evening type thing. Just a thought..... Smile
                      This is what I also do. My strength training is strategically timed around my swim/bike/run sessions so as not to affect the quality of those workouts. Sometimes it's tough to balance everything, but like TRIGirl, I also view weights as a supplement to my core training for the three triathlon legs. This is even more important during season.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

My experience is that if i run first it reflect on my weight lifting. So i always lift first and do a short run. On off days i run a greater distance. For example i'll run 4km on lifting days and 10 km on days off. My two cents M.
                        Mike L.
                        SteveB

Clearly there are many factors involved and for preference I would also recommend that you establish two workouts, but if this is not an option you may want to consider safety. Do the riskier things when you are most fresh. If you are lifting heavy weights at or to your max, then do the weights first as there is a greater margin for error when out running than doing heavy squats, etc. If you are doing high reps of light weights, then it may not make much difference.
                          2009 Goals:
                          Run 6:30 mile (or 6:01 1500m or 10:10 2.4k).
                          Run 6:15 mile (or 5:48 1500m or 9:45 2.4k).
                          Run 6:00 mile (or 5:33 1500m or 9:20 2.4k).
                          Run 5:45 mile (or 5:18 1500m or 8:55 2.4k).
                          2010 Goals:
                          Run 5:30 mile (or 5:05 1500m or 8:30 2.4k).
                          Run 5:15 mile (or 4:54 1500m or 8:10 2.4k).
                          Run a 5 minute mile (or 4:37 1500m or 7:45 2.4k) before 50th birthday (Nov).
                            Hey, finally a question in my wheelhouse. It depends upon the intensity of each workout. As a rule you are actually better off doing weight training first because of the way your body burns energy and the build up of lactic acid. When you are weight training you are generally working in a very low heart rate zone with small bursts into a very high heart rate zone. You can literally fry one or two body parts ( pecs & biceps or back & triceps ) and even though you may feel exhausted you will find that you still have plenty of energy for a respectable cardio workout once you get going. On the flip side, if you do a fairly intense cardio workout first your body will have a very hard time regulating energy and heart rate while weight training. You will find that intense cardio hurts your weight training performance more than intense weight training hurts your cardio performance. Of course, if you are working legs in your weight training session then you pretty much have to do cardio first or risk injury. Likewise, if you do an intense ab session before your cardio you'll definitely feel it a few miles into your run.
                            And who am I anyway?
                            Just another fat jogger, evidently.

"older but not dead yet"

I can only answer from past experience. The only time in my racing career when I was able to run sub 6 min. mile pace was when I ran in the morning (5 a.m.) and lifted heavy in the afternoon (4 p.m.) But I was also in my late 30's. Now I'm 60 and all the added wt. from growing big muscles has become a detriment since muscles are denser than bone. Alex
                              Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

As a number have stated, if you are focusing on one activity over do that one first. If you are trying to get some quality in both aspects lift first, after a brief warm-up. Here is my anecdotal evidence: Note: I was a football player and wanted more of the strength, but this same routine was used for any athlete that came into the gym. Strength and conditioning training in the summer in high school was about a 2 hour workout every morning. We'd start at 8. We began the day by doing some light warm-ups and stretching for 20-30 minutes. Activities varied from day to day, but I highly recommend doing some jump rope. Then we would lift heavy for about an hour or so making sure that you give your muscles at least 48 hours recovery before taxing them again. Afterwards, we would usually hit the track or do some plyometrics for another 20-30 minutes. Most of our running wasn't low heart rate cardio (I will always remember the day we ran 14 x 100m), but there is no way we could have gone into the weight room after that. Alternatively, after track workouts in the spring. I could never lift a thing after maybe a 4 or 5 miler at a easy pace. Plus a nice easy run after leg days really gets the blood going and takes away some of those aches.