Bill Roger's Jingle Bell Run - TPFD (Read 428 times)

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Bill Roger's Jingle Bell Run ---- Short report - 19:25. 42nd OA. 3rd AG. I was dreading and loving this event from the get go. First it sounded like great fun, an excuse to vist La T, and spend my FIRST OVERALL gift certificate. Then the snowstorm hit; thank God it was postponed. Today's forecast was heavy rain. Thank goodness it was modified to heavy rain, but tonight. To make matters even better the 4pm (?) start was changed to 11am, yea! Just to set the stage as to why my feelings of doom were valid, here is my weekly mileage post Hartford marathon. 26 / 11 / 27 / 23 / 27 / 18 / 22 / 15 / 23 / this week 3.1 So I was seriously worried about about going over 20min. for the first time. La Tortuga was really nice to let us park in her driveway prerace as Davis Square, Somerville is nearly downtown Boston. DW and I pulled in just as she was finding a street spot for her car, how nice . Kevin (kameele) pulled in right after and we got to hang for a few minutes (and use the very nice private bathroom) prerace. We all walked a block or two to race start and of course it was nice to be able to hand off the extra shirt. Kevin and I warmed up for a good 10 min. just wandering the streets close to the start. Just as an aside, I predict Kevin will be one of those runners looking for advice on how to move from runner to hunter over the next year or so. He has potential, we just need to egg him on from being geniunly nice guy, to agressive, macho, jerk like so many of us. It will come, I tried insulting his family and started to get a rise from him, I could srwear. Ok, race start. An old favorite racer from RI recenly passed on, Boyle. A bagpipe version of Amazing Grace. Now BIlly's 60th birthday today! A birthday song! OK, Ready Start Go, we're off. I am oh 3rd row. Crowded, 2000 registered for a 5k! Mile one 5:46. No more markers. First mile was too fast (normal for me). At maybe 2.5M there is an elite ethiopian woman on her back just off the course. She has helpers so I figure nothing I can do. Finish 19:24. No results yet. Kevin comes in nicely under his previous Somerville 5k (but well over his potenitial). Now the good part. From my Shape Up Somerville 1st OA, I was holding a $50 gift certificate to Chinooks. A very classy outdoor style clothing place just a block from LaT's place. (Contact La T re that place.) So then we peruse a couple of Davis Sq. pubs like Burren's but go to Redbones because we could (!). The best beer I've had this month and some BBQ that was HOT!!! Yum! BTW, Kevin headed off to keep peace in the family pre lunch. Back to La T's to get the car and head home, which we did. So there's only one question left, Mary! How'd you do?? Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Pro!!! Ya done good! See, all those pre-race worries about finishing above 20 min (gawd forbid Roll eyes ) were unfounded. And kudos for at least trying to change K into an aggressive macho jerk like, um, "so many of us."
        MMM, Redbones. Mikey likey. Nice report. Also, you ran Hartford? Me too.

Runners run

Also, you ran Hartford? Me too.
          Me, too. Craig kicked my butt. Nice race, pro.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

MMM, Redbones. Mikey likey. Nice report. Also, you ran Hartford? Me too.
            Yea Hartford, my favorite. Boston next? criag

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Yup. God willing and the Creek dont' rise.

Runners run