Heart Rate/Pace advice for first half marathon (Read 211 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ditch the watch. Start out easy for the first 5 miles or so. When you feel the itch, run faster. Repeat until the end of the race.

You're not going to get the effort 100% right in your first race, so be a little conservative. That'll get you motivated for the next race.

As usual, my brother in Jeffdom speaks wisely.  Since the OP seems pretty wedded to the HRM, I'd advise the following:

Wear the HRM, but don't look at it during the race.  Run like Jeff suggested.  You'll get your heart rate data (to be studied later at your leisure), but you won't be a slave to it.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Beachfinn

I just ran one two weeks ago, pretty much even pacing, and looking at the data I jumped pretty much right away to 85%HRR and last 4 miles i hovered right around 90%HRR. It was a tough finish (1:46), though i raced the day before.

While we may want to do the best in every race we run, there will be many more such races in the future, and figuring out how that race pace feels and how the last 5k feels and if that was the best effort you could out put that day etc. all are important skills which following a number on a HRM may not be the best way to acquire.

Phew that was one long sentence.

Also trying to PR in every race is likely counter productive.

No more marathons

I've been using my HRM only since the beginning of the year so my depth of knowledge is limited.  If you want some "expert" knowledge I'd suggest contacting Mark Rice (web site:  http://markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html) or message him on here at markrice.

As for me, I've been using my HRM mainly to control the intensity of my workouts.  I tend to run too hard all the time, so using the HRM to keep some of my runs in the General Aerobic or the Long Run pace.  I wore the belt for a 10K race this past weekend just to see the results, but not to determine my pace or effort during the race.  For the race itself I had a specific time goal and intended to keep as even a pace as possible.  (Dont' you love a garmin for that).  Mile one was downhill and mile six up so those two were faster and slower respecively than my overall goal pace, but the middle 4 were all on target (again - thanks to my garmin - it is great to see at a glance what your pace is instead of having to wait until you hit a mile split and realize you've sloooooowed waaaaaay down).

Anyway, my HR info from the race, by mile, was 144, 150, 150, 153, 154, 155, 157 (last .2).  Just what I was expecting - to maintain an even pace the heart has to work a little harder as you go along.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

ks1g

My running experience is low (started in October and I have my 1st ever 5K in a week and 1/2 half-M the end of March) but I've been using HRM and power-based training in cycling for several seasons.  The RPE (how do you feel) advice for pacing is probably the best.  I don't look at my HR during a run.  I try to tell by "feel" if I am pushing too hard or easy, and use displayed pace vs. what I know I've done for similar distance to confirm if I'm going out too fast or not.  My more experienced running friends have all advised me to emphasize on finishing (well if I can!) and not worry about HR, time, or anything else.  I do have time goals, but plan to be conservative for at least the beginning and hope there is someone marginally faster I can chase (or try to stay ahead of) as motivation towards the finish.

Going by HR may mask effects from fatigue, heat, humidity, and event-day motivation.  The other problem with %Max HR is it makes an assumption about where your body switches from aerobic to anaerobic, and what you are capable of doing when well-motivated in a race of a 1/2-m duration.  (In cycling, it's functional threshold power and the corresponding threshold heart rates; I don't know the correct terminology used in running).  Once you estimate your threshold HR (lab test, field tests, training and race experience), you do your training and pacing off of that, regardless of what % it is of your max.  There are probably plenty of web sites and books on estimating threshold heart rate if you choose to go that route.  Anyway, good luck with your race!

"What does not kill me makes me stronger" (some dead philosopher)

"But you'd be surprised what you can live through!" (The Genie, Disney's Aladdin 2)

PR:  5K: 28:01 (2/10/13), 10K: 58:21 (6/2/13) ;10M: 1:38:28 (3/3/13) HM: 2:08;58 (3/24/13)

2013 Schedule

Run Your Heart Out 5K 2/10 (Reston, VA)

Reston 10 Miler 3/3

Runner's Half Marathon (Reston VA) 3/24

Herndon Festival 10K (6/2)

...next ???