Thyroid disorder (Read 475 times)

ewill

Hello all, I've recently been diagnosed with post-partum thyroiditis. While in some cases this can revert back to normal, the majority of people with this will eventually end up permanently hypothyroid (Hashimoto's Disease). I'm 33, and I'm a fairly competitive (age group award winner-type) runner. What might the future hold for me? Can I still run well with this?
      Ewill.......As a male that has had a thyoid problem since age 31 (im now 55), I know a little about thyroids. What I know is that getting them corrected is a little tricky but after is corrected you are normlly just fine. I think yours is over active (while mine is under active). My nephew had an over active thyroid and eventually, the DRs killed it with radiation treatment and he is medicated properly and very normal. I don't think you wll have any ill effects from a thyroid issue as long as it is properly treated. Taking medication for an under active thyroid is one of the easiest things to deal with.....so drs will try to slow an over active thyroid down by removing part of it or killing it completely and then medicating you. the medication has no side effects and really does nothing but to build you up and make you feel strong. Again, they are tricky to deal with at first until they figure out the specific strategy for an individual (tyroid treatment is definately a case by case basis), but the treatments are all very non-intrusive and will definately not effect your running.... .i have been taking thyroid medication for 24 years with no ill or side effects. At first I had to go for a blood test to check my levels and adjust my medication (went every month for a few months until the levels were correct) and now I go once per year - just to make sure.......EWILL, after corrected, its really no big deal........JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

My daughter was born without a working thyroid. One pill a day and they draw blood regulalry to monitor levels. A perfectly happy, healthy toddler without a single restriction. We don't even think about it. I hope she runs a marathon some day. Smile

I've been on thyroid meds for four years. I'm also a Type 1 diabetic - on insulin for 24 years. The only thing annoying about thyroid meds is that it can take a while to find the magic dose for you, and it's one of those things that once you change a dose, you need to wait a month before getting a new blood test. Now here's the good news: a slightly off thyroid shouldn't disrupt your training or race results much. I've adjusted my meds many times and have never felt that it made a dramatic difference in my performance - only small changes in my overall energy level.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I have had a total thyroidectomy, and while it did take awhile to get my doses straight, it hasn't affected what I do with my running. Most important is to find a good doc to monitor your progress. There is is thyroid support group on RA with lots of different info about thyroid. Link is in my siggy. Congrats on the new baby!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group