tri equipment (Read 1177 times)

keeponrunning

Hi.  I am looking at doing a try a tri this year, and I am wondering how you do the swimsuit/running clothing aspect?  I know you probably don't change, but I am wondering what is best to wear?  Is there special gear made to be comfy for both?

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Muebele

Hi.  I am looking at doing a try a tri this year, and I am wondering how you do the swimsuit/running clothing aspect?  I know you probably don't change, but I am wondering what is best to wear?  Is there special gear made to be comfy for both?

Yes, there are tri shorts that you wear for the whole event.  They look and feel like bike shorts.  They are a must.  a tri shirt is also important

triathlons = lots of spandex

protoplasm72

Tri shorts have some padding but not the same as bike shorts.  They are designed to dry quickly.  Bike shorts turn into wet diapers if you swim in them.  Tri shirts are also designed to be worn for all 3 events.  They are skin tight so that they don't slow you down in the water and they dry fast.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I have tri shorts. But not a tri shirt (yet). I don't put a shirt under my wetsuit and take the extra seconds in T1 to put on a bike shirt which I keep for the run.

I might invest in a tri shirt next season, but for a first triathlon, I don't think it's a must. The tri shorts, however, are hard to do without.

keeponrunning

Thanks for the ideas guys...would've asked my running coach (who also does tri's), but sadly he was in a bad car accident yesterday morning.  we don't know the extent of his injuries yet.  may ask my other coach (who i don't know quite as well) where to pick up some decent ones...small cities are nice, but finding running gear is sometimes a challenge.  I will look in a few months, cause i really don't think i will find them anywhere in canada a la moment.

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Bugs

Hope your coach is okay.

Bugs

keeponrunning

Thanks...I may find out more tomorrow.  I really hope he is okay not only for my own sake, but because his daughter is only 12yo. 

Take a look at onetri.com.  Local to me, I've met the owner, good guys - maybe a little expensive but very helpful.  Their website has some helpful information also.
                  keeponrunning

Another dumb question:  what do you wear if you do not use a tri top?  (I'm a girl, so topless ain't gonna cut it)  Is a regular tech shirt and bra okay?  Do you have to wear a wetsuit?  I was thinking I could just swim in the tri shorts and a tech top. 

Also, is a tri bag mandatory or just a timesaver? 

shonan marathon, girl

for my first tri 51.5, i just wore a one piece swimsuit, then wetsuit over that for the swim.  for the bike i peeled off my wetsuit and just put on a bike jersey, shoes and helmet.  the ride is only 40k so it is short enough to do without any cycling shorts or padding, or without bike gloves.  any other kind of technical shirt instead of a bike jersey would be fine.  for the run, i ran as i was, swimsuit and bike jersey and put on my running shoes.  i recommend using what clothing you already have and if you keep doing more races then invest in a trisuit that is preferably 2 piece because of girls and the toilet situation.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've worn cycling shorts on a sprint - at the time I only had one tri bottom and I loaned it to someone.

I expect that the further you go, the more it matters. What distance?

There are four conventional distances:

1. sprint (which isn't standardized)
                        2. Olympic=International
                        3. Half-Iron
                        4. Iron

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The voice of mile 18

for everything but an ironman I go w/ trishorts and a top.  Ironman tyypically have changign tents and I will be going w/ full outfits changes for each event.  titanwear.com and louis garneau are my favorite brands of trishrots but zoot, desoto, craft are all good

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Tri shorts and a top.  Some have bras built in.  Otherwise find a sports bra that will dry quickly (something other than cotton) and put it on under your tri top.  Practice swimming in it a couple of times and you'll be good to go.  Good luck.  Best wishes to your coach.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

keeponrunning

First of all:  Thanks for asking about my coach...found out today he is pretty bruised up, but no broken bones or internal bleeding, which considering I heard the whole front of his car was smashed in, is very good.  Pain wise, it will get worse b/f it gets better, but at least he will recover.  Knowing him, he is probably gonna start asking "when can I cycle again" very soon.  (doesn't run as much anymore due to bad knee)

Secondly, thanks for the advice.  Seeing as this is my first tri, and a sprint distance, I think I will just by some tri shorts, and wear a good sports bra and a tech top.  The swim is in an inland lake so it won't be horrible.  (compared to nortern lake huron, where i train in the summer) 

PS. I am going to either do a .6k swim-20k bike- 4k run or a .75k swim-27k bike- 6.5k run.  (depends on which w/e I can get off work)  I will know in enough time to train properly based on the distance I will do.

The voice of mile 18

what time of year is the racE?

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy