Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

+1.  When I finally broke 20 in May, it was 52sec off my PR in one bite.  

Woohoo!  Congrats!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Wow, that is a great job!

I ran a 19:57 in May during my marathon run-up.But after my 5/21 marathon, my training went to crap. I picked it up again by the end of June but it wasn't enough to hit <20 again. On July 4th I ran a 20:34. on July 19, ran a 20:11. I did lots of track work but what I really slacked on was volume and tempo work. That's all I had going into the 19:57. Past 2 months showed me that volume and tempo work are THE FOUNDATION. The track sharpens things and gets you to feel for pace. But volume and tempo work get the business done. At least that has been my experience. 

"Wow, great job: 19:08!" Coach yells.

Mr Play

I'm going to give it a shot this Saturday - Summer Sizzler 5k Sat 7/28.

My PR is 21:01 from 6 weeks ago.  I was shooting for sub-22 and felt good about doing that.  I went out at 6:09 the first mile to get around some slower runners but faded to 7:06 and then 7:15.  I plan to start closer to the front this time and go out around 6:20, then hang on the best I can.

21:01 was tough, but I didn't puke and I think this is a flatter course.

Any advice on pacing or anything?

Future running partner.

Second attempt this year and I feel like I am right there.

First attempt was about a few weeks ago. What happened was that it was a new race and the organizers were not very experienced. The course was cross county style of race and not marked well or guided well. A number of us from about 4th through 12th place were missed directed. We ended up realizing we were going the wrong way at some point so I stopped my watch there and coasted the rest of the in we ended up running about 3.7 miles. I stopped my watch at 2.3 and it showed 14:45 and a pace of 6:28/mile. Given footing wasn't always great and that there where a few times where we stopped for a few seconds to figure out where to go, pace was probably a few seconds faster then that. So I think I would have finished right at about 20 minutes based on how I was feeling, which was strong.

Today was a much more organized race on a course that was on a 4 lane road, out and back with two turnarounds and the start/finish in between. The course was relatively flat with mostly a slight decline for the first half and a  slight incline on the second half. Weather was very warm and humid. 76F and 73DP. This morning I wasn't feeling as strong as usual. I felt a little weak actually. Based on the splits I started a little on the fast side. I felt like I started huffing and puffing very early and didn't feel very smooth. For the whole race I felt weak and tired and it was a struggle to run with good form. A lot of people passed me in the second mile. The 3rd mile felt long, I was really uncomfortable and it was almost all on a slight incline. When I was able to see the finish for the last a couple of tenths of a mile, it gave me a little boost.

My split time for the first mile I recall being 6:17, good. Second split on mile 2 was a 6:28, hanging in. Third split was a little disappointing, 6:53 and time was already in the mid 19's. I ended up finishing in 20:29 officially. Talking to a few other fast runners they thought their time was a bit on the slow side too. One of them had a gps that recorded we had run 3.26 miles. My Garmin FR 160 which just uses a recently calibrated foot pod recorded 3.29. This seems very off since the course was relatively straight and I also hugged the inside curves pretty well. Low and behold my watch showed an average pace of 6:14. So I figure I ran closer to the equivalent to about a 19:45 5k. I was pretty glad about this. I also finished 2nd in my age group which is 30-39 (3rd if you count the one guy who finished 3rd overall). Winning times where in the low 16's and last year they where in the low 15's So I have mixed feelings about this race. I am not disappointed in my performance, I gave it a really good shot and I showed some significant improvement from my last attempt. I am just a little disappointed in not seeing my time in the 19's as I crossed the finish line. I plan on running one in late August or early September before I start focusing on a half marathon in November. I should be even faster then as long as I stay consistent and don't miss to many key workouts. Hopefully the weather won't be as sticky either.

Splits from Garmin:

TypeDistance Split settingsDurationTotal DurationPaceAvg HRMax HRNotes
          1 Interval 1.08 mi 6:18.89 6:18.89 5:51      
          2 Interval 1.02 mi 6:27.36 12:46.25 6:20      
          3 Interval 1.05 mi 6:53.15 19:39.40 6:34      
          4 Interval 0.14 mi 0:49.04 20:28.44 5:51      

Future running partner.

I'm going to give it a shot this Saturday - Summer Sizzler 5k Sat 7/28.

My PR is 21:01 from 6 weeks ago.  I was shooting for sub-22 and felt good about doing that.  I went out at 6:09 the first mile to get around some slower runners but faded to 7:06 and then 7:15.  I plan to start closer to the front this time and go out around 6:20, then hang on the best I can.

21:01 was tough, but I didn't puke and I think this is a flatter course.

Any advice on pacing or anything?

So how did it go?

Mr Play

I missed it with a time of 20:16.  I let myself get caught up in the initial surge and went out with the leader.  A half mile in I checked my watch and saw a pace of 5:45ish.  I still felt strong but deliberately slowed down and let him go.  When I did, a pack of 5-6 other guys passed and I let them all go too.  I crossed the first mile at 6:06, thinking I had a little bit of time in the bank.  But when I slowed I latched onto a 6:45 pace which was slower than I needed.  I held on and didn't fade, but once I settled into a pace I just couldn't find a faster rhythm.  I tried to pick it up at mile 2 but it was really all I could do to keep the pace I had settled into.

Splits on my watch were 6:06, 6:45, 6:48, and 6:46 pace for the final .1.

McShane

I am running a race in two weeks, actually, August 11th. So far the training on two tracks/ soil in the State Forest have gone well, I ran 20:43 and just this weekend ran 20:23 on a course that mimics the actual race course. The difference is topography and surface. The race course is on pavement. I hate pavement but mixed it in a run and ran the 20:23. Any suggestions on race day? In felt just ok with the 20:23, meaning I was not at my best, so I feel I can do the sub 20. Just wondering how to pace myself? I know I have to run 6:50 or less per mile, but wonder if I need a greyhound, marker, or another runner to pace with? I run solo so imagine with help I can do it. The pavement sucks, but there must be an advantage over just the ground, which is more forgiving. Thanks for your help! Tb
                  so I feel I can do the sub 20. Just wondering how to pace myself? I know I have to run 6:50 or less per mile,  

Assuming your race is a full 5 kilometers, just so you're clear on the math, you'll need to run 6:26's.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  lagwagon

McShane

Kevin's math is right, but it sounds like you're already on pace given your time trials.

Roads can be a bit harder on the bones, but I generally find them a little faster than soft surface, so you probably have that going for you.

As far as tactics, you are on the right track.  It sounds like you're pretty dialed in just north of 20 min, so I'd say best to run by feel.  Slightly faster than in your time trial, but keep the first mile in check as the adrenaline could cause you to fly.

Other ideas are if you are good at small talk, try chatting to a few of the front line runners before the race and ascertain if someone else is on your pace, and if they mind you working with them to beat the goal.

One other thought, something I've done, is to get an idea of the race's historical results (usu online with compuscore or the like).  You can estimate your pace by guessing your place (eg if sub 20 will net you a top10 or top 100 finish).  Obviously this is more helpful in smaller races. 

Best of luck for your sub 20!

lagwagon

MrPlay,

Great outing, you're just a minor tactical adjustment from your goal.  Next race, at the first mile mark find yourself just trailing the lead pack instead of the leader.   I've run a couple of sub-20 5ks this summer, both with a 6:10-6:15 first mile.  Others may disagree but I think a 6:06 can be survived as long as its evenly paced, but you probably did the first 800 at 5:45 and the second closer to 6:30, and you definitely want to avoid this (as you've now learned).

As far as your earlier question on pacing, like I said to McShane above, I find it helpful to have an idea of where you may place, especially in smaller races.  I'm not the best at evenly pacing, but gauge myself by place (and more recently my garmin).

One other trick to help smooth the pacing is to set your garmin (if you have one) to autolap for shorter intervals.  I use 1km intervals now, which I really like b/c the math is easy (4min/km).  Just also keep in mind that you'll probably race ~5.1km or so as measured by the watch due not running exact tangents (unless the course is unusually straight and simple.), so you want to be slightly ahead of schedule (3:55 / km).

The good news is you have the endurance and speed to hit your goal...hopefully you have a couple more 5ks lined up.

+1.  When I finally broke 20 in May, it was 52sec off my PR in one bite.  (I don't count the 20:16, as it came on an obviously short course.)

Get in the right race, run hard, and you'll surprise yourself.

Whoops, I missed this.  Congrats, Clive! 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

FWIW:

I think it's OK to burn off some adrenaline in the first 200-300m, but taking it out crazy-hard for more than 400m or so seems like it'd torpedo my overall time.  I try hard to settle in after that initial burst, which I use more to avoid traffic and "find a happy place".  After that, though, I want to lock in on my target pace.  The advice I got from my coach, which has rung true, is that I should hit 800m wondering how I'm going to sustain the effort for another 4200m.  The answer: you just do (assuming you've not gone out like a high-school freshman).

Try lining up slightly farther back, so you're not right there with the guys who'll be running way faster than you're able.

Take heart that you have the ability to lock onto your pace.  Once you find the right effort after that first 800m or so ... BIG THINGS!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Mr Play

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.  You guys know what it takes to get it done, and it's good to hear you think it's within my reach.  I'm in the middle of training for the NYC marathon and still gaining fitness, so I should be able to knock this out before the end of the year.  I'm not sure when my next attempt will be but I'll definitely keep you posted.

McShane

So I race in 10 days, today another flat run of 20:50, but I have been somewhat tired from being sick this past weekend. So I am within striking distance of sub 20, what should I do over the next 10 day period for race prep? Just wanna get healthy and rested but should I run around 21:00 for now to keep in striking distance?

I'm aiming for improvement in marathon time this year now, but have got a PB recently at the Sale SIzzler on 2nd August of 20:13, so I am within striking distance of sub-20. But if it happens, it happens, I'm sticking with my marathon training plan. Still hoping my the end of the year I'll have done a sub-20 though.