Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Did my first set of intervals today (as part of my marathon plan).

5x800 @ 3:24, 3:26, 3:19, 3:19, 3:16 w/400 recovery - last couple were hard but not anywhere near the edge

Any thoughts where that puts me in the sub-20 hunt?

The McMillan Calculator puts you around a 21:00 if you assume those were done at your optimal 800m training pace.  You should input a recent race time to get your ideal pace range for each type of workout - running stuff at the right intensity will really help you improve pretty quickly.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

DukeDB

I'm taking my first crack at it of the year Saturday, at the Matanzas 5K in St. Augustine, Fla.  Trying to decide on my pacing strategy.  I've been a fan of trying to run as fast as feels possible out of the gate and just trying to hold on.  But, that didn't get it done last year despite three races with sub-20 pace first miles.  Those of you looking to break through this year:  what's your strategy?  Negative splits, steady state, or just go for it?

The McMillan Calculator puts you around a 21:00 if you assume those were done at your optimal 800m training pace.  You should input a recent race time to get your ideal pace range for each type of workout - running stuff at the right intensity will really help you improve pretty quickly.

Understood. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing where I'd like to run train for some 5k races, but don't have any 5k races to base my training on.

Those of you looking to break through this year:  what's your strategy?  Negative splits, steady state, or just go for it?

What I found worked for me in cross country was to take the first mile a bit faster than goal pace, really PUSH the second mile (although it's tough mentally) and then try to hang on for the third.  I found that if I was able to stay fast the second mile the third would fall into place even if I was tired.  My best race I went out around 6:18, came through the second mile in 6:40, and then the third one in about 6:25.  Then again, YMMV - the elites tend to run consistently even splits.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Future Goals: 5:30 mile • 19:30 5k • 33:30 8k • 42:00 10k • 1:15:00 10-mile • 1:40:00 half-marathon • 1000 miles

Understood. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing where I'd like to run train for some 5k races, but don't have any 5k races to base my training on.

I've found my mile time pretty well reflected what I'd be able to do in the 5k - if you don't have a chance to race a 5k tuneup then you could always go all out for a mile or so and see where that would put you.

Prince of Fatness

I see you are at 94 miles for the year. That is a boatload of miles for this time of the year at least up north.

Not really, but we've had this argument before.

Not at it at all. 

Snow, I just saw in your signature that you're running the RnR 1/2 and the Parkway classic.  I'm running both of those as well (I'm in Adams Morgan).  Very cool.  What kind of pace are you thinking for the RnR half?  I'm tentatively targeting 7:20-7:30 (assuming that my bride doesn't want me to pace her --- that could happen), but I'll know more after some MP medium/long runs in February.

I see you are at 94 miles for the year. That is a boatload of miles for this time of the year at least up north

Not really, but we've had this argument before.

I guess it is all relative. Here is my thought process. If I would gather all the stats from the runners on this thread I bet 94 miles would put you in the top 5%. Now if you have other goals like running a half marathon or marathon then 50 miles a week may be about average for passionate runners. For the average 5k runner I would guess 10 miles a week is average. For someone trying to break sub 20 I would say 35 miles a week is about average.

I'm taking my first crack at it of the year Saturday, at the Matanzas 5K in St. Augustine, Fla.  Trying to decide on my pacing strategy.  I've been a fan of trying to run as fast as feels possible out of the gate and just trying to hold on.  But, that didn't get it done last year despite three races with sub-20 pace first miles.  Those of you looking to break through this year:  what's your strategy?  Negative splits, steady state, or just go for it?

When I was trying to break 20 minutes I did not really have a chance unless I could get to 2 miles in sub 13. If I was at 13:06 I would end up 10 seconds or more over 20. If I came in at 12:56 I could come in 10 seconds or more under 20. That is kind of like snowsickle said. The 1st time I broke 20 I went out in 6:18, 6:30 and surprisngly adrenaline made me run the last mile even faster than the 1st mile (I think it was 6:13). The reason was I was so excited that I knew I was going to break 20 minutes that I knew I was not going to have to kill myself my trying to sprint the last quarter mile so I probably relaxed and just let it go.

I never tried to run as fast as possible out of the gate. I would advise you to just run fast but easy for the 1st quarter mile or so and let the fools go out too fast. You should be passing people from the quarter mile mark to the mile mark if you race it right. Most people go out way too fast and die a slow death the rest of the race. But for the 1st quarter mile mark let the leaders drift away from you. Don't try to run anyone down until about the 90 second mark. Even then you will not be running people down but they will be coming back to you because they started too fast.

Pace the first half (run at a pace you feel you could complete the whole race at). then when you get to the mid point you should still feel pretty good. If so race the second half. It should progressively feel worse after the 1.5 mile mark. But try not to push the envelope in the 1st half of the race. You will probably pay for it in the 2nd half if you do. WIth that said my two sub 20 efforts came with an incredibly fast 1st mile where the 1st quarter mile seemed much too slow for sub 20 (though in reality it was probably right on target speed because I was so amped up I just held back a little).

For the average 5k runner I would guess 10 miles a week is average. For someone trying to break sub 20 I would say 35 miles a week is about average.

A 19:36 for a 38-year-old man is moderately above average. If you ran more, you might be further above average.

But that's probably the argument you and Potato Man had before.

Actually I just did a search of the mileage of runners in this thread and it is clear I am incorrect. I just looked at a few mileage charts and almost all of the runners had over 90 miles for the month already. So the average seems to be at least 35 miles a week for this thread. I am impressed as obviously this is one serious running board. I better hit the treadmill and add some miles before I fall into last place!

I see you are at 94 miles for the year. That is a boatload of miles for this time of the year at least up north

I guess it is all relative. Here is my thought process. If I would gather all the stats from the runners on this thread I bet 94 miles would put you in the top 5%. Now if you have other goals like running a half marathon or marathon then 50 miles a week may be about average for passionate runners. For the average 5k runner I would guess 10 miles a week is average. For someone trying to break sub 20 I would say 35 miles a week is about average.

Chris UK

I'm not in this thread this year as I got my sub 20 last year - 19:42 a few weeks shy of my 61st birthday. That time was the result of lots of miles - 80 mile weeks with a few tempos thrown in here and there. No actual speed work unless you count strides. Also it was achieved out in the real world on an undulating road with the wind in what is left of my hair. Playing with time trials on a treadmill is not going to get you your best times. Enter a race and give it your best shot - the adrenalin will see you through.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Snow, I just saw in your signature that you're running the RnR 1/2 and the Parkway classic.  I'm running both of those as well (I'm in Adams Morgan).  Very cool.  What kind of pace are you thinking for the RnR half?  I'm tentatively targeting 7:20-7:30 (assuming that my bride doesn't want me to pace her --- that could happen), but I'll know more after some MP medium/long runs in February.

This is my first half so I'm not completely sure what I'm doing, but I'm hoping to go sub-1:40:00 which would put me at a pace of around 7:38.  I figure I'll start out at that and speed up later on if I feel good.  Awesome that you're doing that and the Parkway Classic - you'll have to keep me updated as to how your training's going because it looks like we're at a similar place (although you're doing significantly higher mileage than I am).  I live in Alexandria but go to school in D.C.  My daily run is actually right along the GW Parkway bike path between Old Town and Mount Vernon.

This is my first half so I'm not completely sure what I'm doing, but I'm hoping to go sub-1:40:00 which would put me at a pace of around 7:38.  I figure I'll start out at that and speed up later on if I feel good.  Awesome that you're doing that and the Parkway Classic - you'll have to keep me updated as to how your training's going because it looks like we're at a similar place (although you're doing significantly higher mileage than I am).  I live in Alexandria but go to school in D.C.  My daily run is actually right along the GW Parkway bike path between Old Town and Mount Vernon.

My 1:40:18 came at similar mileage to what you are currently running.  Also, I think you have a little more speed than me, so with two more months of training I bet you hit 1:37Tight lippedx. I plan to be there also, running my first full.

You're probably right that I should just go out and hammer a mile, or stop complaining that I don't know how fast to do my intervals Joking

Prince of Fatness

Actually I just did a search of the mileage of runners in this thread and it is clear I am incorrect.

Saved for prosperity, heh.  I'm just messing with you.  Sort of.

I can only speak from my experience, but when I broke 20 I was running over 50 miles a week.  If I want to break 20 again, and I do, I am completely convinced that it will take a consistent string of 50 mile weeks to get it done.  That's what I intend to do.

Your mileage may vary.  Heh.

Not at it at all.