Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Cleveland Mark, Thanks. Im looking forward to it but at the same time im nervous. I think registration gets you a wristband to the festival and last year they had just under 1900 participants. That makes for a very crowded 5k. I may expend a lot of energy trying to navigate the crowd and may not be able to find a good rythmn.

Molly

MTA: removed, posted by mistake.

Cleveland Mark, Thanks. Im looking forward to it but at the same time im nervous. I think registration gets you a wristband to the festival and last year they had just under 1900 participants. That makes for a very crowded 5k. I may expend a lot of energy trying to navigate the crowd and may not be able to find a good rythmn.

Yeah, I think 5Ks are the toughest in terms of dealing with crowds, both because you have less time to make up for a slow start and also because they tend to draw more people who aren't aware of race etiquette --- walkers who don't realize people are trying to run fast and also people who start out fast and then slow or stop, creating an obstacle.  My 5K PR was set in a race where I started toward the front but was pushed and elbowed by a bunch of high school kids as they started off at a sprint.  Then, when they all ran out of steam after a half mile, they abruptly started walking.  Fun times.

On a different subject, I blew off my planned interval workout yesterday because the path I use as a track was icy.  Instead, I kind of drifted into a long tempo/marathon pace run --- ended up doing almost 8 miles at 7:15.  That was the first longish run that I've done faster than easy pace in a while --- all my other quality has been short stuff at R pace or 1000 or 1200 intervals, all with jog recovery.  The run felt great --  I really enjoy that kind of run much more than repetitions or intervals.  But --- I wonder if long runs between tempo and marathon pace are useful since it's in kind of a no mans land in terms of Daniels pace levels and thus matches at least some folks' definition of junk miles.

Do you guys do longer runs at marathon or tempo pace (or somewhere in between)?  Do you think they are useful?

An update:  My training the last couple of weeks has been plagued by some calf issues.  I'm going to continue to take it easy and play the 5k this weekend by ear.  If I'm feeling it at start time, I'll go for it; otherwise my next attempt will be in April.  Bah! 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

DukeDB

CM:  When 5K has been my focus I've done my long runs somewhere between (goal) marathon and half-marathon pace - but these long runs are in the 10 - 12 mile range.   At this time, my tempo runs are very close to my half marathon pace.  Below the local elite level, I think the only junk miles are those phenomenally stupid miles that risk injury or destroy workouts.  A hard tempo run the night before a track workout.  Opening it up on mile 18 of a long run, on trails with roots when you don't run trails with roots ever.  I've done both in the last three weeks.  Otherwise, for plodders like me, too fast too slow the miles still help more than they hurt.

If I missed you sorry. Several of you do not post mileage. Some of these posters also may not be trying for sub 20 but I filled you in anyway.

Looks like nearly all of us are putting in great miles so far! RGilbert way to lead the pack! I am currently buried in 29th place I guess I like to ease my way into the year.

Miles run for the year

1. rgilbert 260.2

2. daddyo 213.8

3. squirrelrunner 179.5

4. pr100    177.9

5. EGH  164.9

6. Troy 160.9

7. Mr PH in NJ 160.2

8. dbilenkin 157.6

9. Rob K   157.2

10. CR 144.6

11. slohand 143.0

12. Duke DB 142.7

13. Rick Stone 141.6

14. awaldvogel 140.7

15.tmackey 140.4

16. smanning 138.3

17. ndhitman 138

18.Cleveland Mark 130.1

19. rubhadub 129.4

20. jaxn 123.6

21. willie MN 122.4

22.jufluco 120.7

23. Clive F 113.7

24. jons 3116   109

25.mstuartm  99.8

26. Jehu 97.8

27. malr 97.4

28. sjutton 93

29. michigan flyer 90.5

30. snowsickle 90.2

31.Chris H 83.1

32. Eddy  81.8

33. political quin 67.8

34. nicknack 57.3

35. dontpunchit 54.5

Wow, I didn't realize that there was that much variation in our training volumes. I expect to hit about 45-50 miles per week by early summer, but I don't think I'll ever go anywhere near the 75 mpw that the highest mileage guys are doing. 

Thanks for compiling that. 

If I missed you sorry. Several of you do not post mileage. Some of these posters also may not be trying for sub 20 but I filled you in anyway.

Looks like nearly all of us are putting in great miles so far! RGilbert way to lead the pack! I am currently buried in 29th place I guess I like to ease my way into the year.

Miles run for the year

1. rgilbert 260.2

2. daddyo 213.8

3. squirrelrunner 179.5

4. pr100    177.9

5. EGH  164.9

6. Troy 160.9

7. Mr PH in NJ 160.2

8. dbilenkin 157.6

9. Rob K   157.2

10. CR 144.6

11. slohand 143.0

12. Duke DB 142.7

13. Rick Stone 141.6

14. awaldvogel 140.7

15.tmackey 140.4

16. smanning 138.3

17. ndhitman 138

18.Cleveland Mark 130.1

19. rubhadub 129.4

20. jaxn 123.6

21. willie MN 122.4

22.jufluco 120.7

23. Clive F 113.7

24. jons 3116   109

25.mstuartm  99.8

26. Jehu 97.8

27. malr 97.4

28. sjutton 93

29. michigan flyer 90.5

30. snowsickle 90.2

31.Chris H 83.1

32. Eddy  81.8

33. political quin 67.8

34. nicknack 57.3

35. dontpunchit 54.5

Wow, I didn't realize that there was that much variation in our training volumes. I expect to hit about 45-50 miles per week by early summer, but I don't think I'll ever go anywhere near the 75 mpw that the highest mileage guys are doing. 

I'm pretty high on that list, but most of my running has been very easy - I'm recovering from a foot injury and easy running doesn't seem to aggravate it, but a lot of faster work does.

So I suspect that as well as a big variation in volume there's probably also a big variation in intensity, which is harder to summarise.

RootieKazootie

Nice list. I'm strugglng to keep with the mid pack, down in 20th with 125 miles. Hoping to get to 160 for the month.

dontpunchit

I'll be doing good to average 16-18 mpw- oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Prince of Fatness

I'm pretty high on that list, but most of my running has been very easy.

Yeah I have been mostly slogging around too, but every mile counts.

Not at it at all. 

Yeah I have been mostly slogging around too, but every mile counts.

I hope so--I'm running primarily easy miles (at least during this mesocycle).  I'm training for a marathon in May right now, otherwise I'd be doing more VO2Max intervals and LT tempo stuff.  I can handle high volume pretty easily, but faster-than-marathon-pace running often leaves me feeling chewed up. 

We'll see how well my marathon training (and, starting this summer--ultramarathon training) translates to 5K performance.  I'm hoping at least decently well. 

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                            Emil Zatopek

I'll be doing good to average 16-18 mpw- oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Same here...my max for a week has only been around 22. Im still building up and taking it slow. Ive only been running since las sept. Thats why i dont realistically plan to get close to this goal until late this year.

Dad, Runner, Programmer

MichiganFlyer, Thanks for making this list! I like seeing statistics like this.  Just as others have mentioned, besides for trying for a sub 20 5k, I'm also training for a half in April and just looking to up my base in general.  I've heard too many stories about folks getting there best 5ks when they were doing higher volume for marathon training.  I'm also looking to do my first 50 miler in May so I'm right there with you rgilbert. This month is looking to be my highest monthly mileage ever.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!