Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

hairshirt knitter

We'll see how well my marathon training (and, starting this summer--ultramarathon training) translates to 5K performance.  I'm hoping at least decently well. 

I'm working on the principle that sub-20 isn't exactly elite level running, and that we don't need to be doing specific 5k training per se.

Getting fitter, slimmer, running consistently with a good mix of quality, tempo and long runs should lead to sub-20 (or thereabouts) 5k, sub-1:30 hm, and even sub-3:30 marathon all at the same time. The marathon maybe needs more miles than the others, but it seems to me that these goals are achievable just by becoming a better runner generally. Would you agree?

MichiganFlyer, Thanks for making this list! I like seeing statistics like this.  

Haha i think you just like stats in general. Just checked your summary. You have more graphs/tables than I have seen in my life. Jk i like stats /numbers too. Thats prob why i majored in comp sci.

I'm working on the principle that sub-20 isn't exactly elite level running, and that we don't need to be doing specific 5k training per se.

Getting fitter, slimmer, running consistently with a good mix of quality, tempo and long runs should lead to sub-20 (or thereabouts) 5k, sub-1:30 hm, and even sub-3:30 marathon all at the same time. The marathon maybe needs more miles than the others, but it seems to me that these goals are achievable just by becoming a better runner generally. Would you agree?

I totally agree on principle--but I have no idea if I agree on practice, at least for me.  I haven't been running long enough to know that (started last May--my log goes all the way back to the beginning).   In my previous life as a runner (high school, ending with four broken bones in junior year), I'd never even broke 22 minutes in the 5K.

I remember a lot of my mistakes from then, though--running too hard for my body to handle was a common one, out of desire to keep up with the fast guys.  Volume I seem to soak like a sponge, though, so here I am.

I'm shooting for a sub-3:20 marathon in May (as close to BQ as I can manage), so that's my big goal right now.  The 5K is a fantastic tune-up, a great VO2Max workout, and it hurts in all the right ways.  Come summer, I'm going to start training for a 50 miler...it'll be great Smile.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

I also agree in principal, and that is exactly what I am trying to do. I add some speed work other than just tempo runs. For me, some speed work comes in the form of a circuit training class I take and some of it is intervals or hill repeats.

I ran a 19:23 5k last weekend and have two HMs and a marathon coming up. The second HM is mid-March and that is going to be my sub-1:30 attempt. Then in April I am going to run the Country Music Marathon sub 3:30.  I didn't do any 5k specific training, but I do speed work some. I also didn't have a particularly good base.

Based on the numbers from McMillian, I am thinking the sub-1:30 HM is the toughest of the three goals.

--

Nashville, TN

I'm working on the principle that sub-20 isn't exactly elite level running...

Depends a bit on how old (and what sex) you are.  

For example -  for men a 20min 10k is 65% age graded at age 20... and won't change much in terms of age grading up to 35. But at 40 it's 68%, at 50 - 74%, at 60 - 80%, at 70 - 88% and after that then clearly you must be Ed Whitlock Smile

What do those grades mean? like youre in the 65 percentile if you can run a 20min 5k at 20yo?

What do those grades mean? like youre in the 65 percentile if you can run a 20min 5k at 20yo?

They are not percentiles - they are (more or less) the fraction of the pace that the world record for that age group is.

So 100% is a world record pace for the age group. I don't really know how the distribution of performances looks - but at a guess you have very, very few people doing 90% or better performances.

MTA: fuller explanation: http://www.usatfmasters.org/fa_agegrading.htm

I'd have to disagree, at least in part.

I understand what you are saying, and would agree that those times are certainly not elite...and in principle, the statement may hold for certain segments (younger runners, life long atheletes, etc).  Especially true for those who are already running in the 20 to 22 minute range and shooting to break 20:00.

But I don't think the statement can be applied across "runners" generally.  I'm thinking moreso of the life long non-athletes who stumble into running later in life.  For many 40+yr olds, without any real athletic background, getting into running and building to consistently running 4 or 5 days a week may not be getting them to run sub-30 5ks.  Nothing wrong with that.  Yes, they would likely see good benefit by adding more quantity and eventually quality, onto that 4 or 5 day schedule.

But even that isn't going to put a sub-20 or 1:30 half within reach.  My guess is that most long time runners who are 4:30 marathoners probably see a sub-20 in about the same light.

You guys are awesome runners!  Make the most of it.  That's why threads like this and the sub-3 thread are fun to read.  What, did you think it was your sense of humor?  Wink

You guys are awesome runners!  Make the most of it.  That's why threads like this and the sub-3 thread are fun to read.  What, did you think it was your sense of humor?  Wink

Mentioned in the same sentence as the hooligans in the sub-3 thread. I feel hugely complimented and mildly insulted all at the same time Joking

You're welcome.  And my apologies. Smile

hairshirt knitter

Yeahh, sub-3 is a whole different kettle of ball games...

20:22 today. I was on course pace-wise for about ~3km, but faded again. 

Close... 20:10.  The course was pancake flat (oceanfront), but there were 14 (!) sharp (90+ degree) turns, so I lost some precious seconds there.  I think I've got this one in the bag in 2012.  

Next attempt will be in April.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Wow, I just wish I could ATTEMPT a 5k soon but not for another 2 months! Driving me crazy

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I ran a time trial on the treadmill today. I have a cold but my wife was gone so I had the basement to myself.

I was hoping to break 22 and hoped I could run despite the sniffling.

I started out nicely at just under 7 minute mile pace for about a minute.

I then set it at 7:12 pace and it feeled nice and easy.

I hit a mile in 7:09.

I was feeling a little tired but not sick. I have over 100 miles for the month so I hoped the endurance would be there.

I hit 1.5 miles in 10:42 and knew sub 22 was not happening.

I was tiring so I burned the next half mile in 3:29 to hit 2 miles in 14:10.

The last mile I really slowed it down to 6 mph a couple times.

I thought I would stop but every increment that went passed I realized I could still beat my yearly best time.

So I finished mile 3 in 7:36,

At 10 mph to the 5k mark in 22:25.

It hurt and was the wrong way to run a 5k time trial but I have a yearly best time.

I think I need a little more endurance so that I can race a whole 3.1 miles.

That would help me cut my time another 45 seconds or so.

Surprsing I still cannot break 22 after 100 miles training but maybe I was just under the weather.

I positive split this badly at 11:05 and 11:20 but I really did give up after 2 miles for all intents and purposes.

This beat my last time by 5 seconds set about 3 weeks ago.