Sore thighs (Read 537 times)

Saturday was my official start for training for the Indy Mini in May. I have been running more consistantly because of it. My shins have stopped screaming at me I think because of some of the things I have already learned in our local training group. Money WELL spent in joining!!! But a look at my workout shows my times are getting worse for now. However Monday and yesterday I did the entire run sans walking breaks. Can't say that for today, but there was only 2 when before I walked 4 and 5 times in 2 miles. My HR yesterday and the day before was in the 138 to 144 range which is about 80% or so, but tonight NADA!! Low 130s with a max of 168 as I pushed the last 75 meters or so. BTW that tells me my current max of 168 is NOT correct. Any advise on the sore legs? OR am I just going to need to run though it?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm betting your legs get to feeling better and stronger as they get used to the increased workload you're giving them. This was the first time you've run three days in a row? Taking tomorrow off by any chance? Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Well I am scheduled for 2 miles, with Friday off and 3 with the group on Saturday AM. But Ya, tomarrow is going to be an off day. AND so is Friday.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Any distance training program that pushes you is going to leave you with sore, tired legs. Hopefully not all the time, and hopefully not to a degree that it interferes with your hard workouts. Take it as a sign that you are pushing yourself to exceed your current limitations -- a badge of honor, if you will. Having said that, improvement requires two things: 1) hard workouts, and, 2) rest/recovery. You won't get better if every day is a hard day. Also, Alieve. Up to (and possibly more than) the recommended dosage. I'd be lost without my NSAIDs. Surprised

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I remember the sorenes all over from lifing weights in Air Force in Montana. That first week like to have killed me and I was young then. No pain no gain!! As long as it is just soreness I am good to go!!! And my times are not that bad when you think about how sore my legs really are right now! Now when my legs get through this I should really pick up some time. The soreness is what is slowing me down right now. I am not looking at 9 minute pace but 11:30 would be nice

Scout7

You're right, as long as it's just sore, you're fine. When it becomes that sharp, stabby-type pain, that's when you start to worry more. As for dealing with it......Icy Hot, and keep running.