Question for the ladies... (Read 876 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

A quick question for the ladies… Have any of you ever had issues with skipping TOM? Last month was the first month I really ramped up my cardio (500 minutes or so a week). My calorie intake is a touch low since I am trying to lose weight (I burn on average 3500 calories a week and eat between 1440 and 1770 calories daily, with a healthy balance of carbs and protein and 6-8 fruits/veggies a day). I usually am extremely heavy and painful, and this month I skipped. There is no chance of pregnancy, so no worries in that way. Is this a side effect from very focused exercise and training that should go away, or should I raise the issue with my doctor when I see him in a few months? I feel healthier than I have in years, and although I am not losing weight, I am building lean muscle mass. I did look, and saw one discussion on this general topic, but it seemed like there was more outside effects than just exercise in that scenario (as well as several months skipped), so I thought I'd pose the question here. Chris

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

skinnycaponesugar

Hi Chris, I've never missed a month, but I've heard about elite athletes having that happen. Has it happen before? Better yet, why don't you ask your doctor? it is probably easier than us trying to guess, everyone is different. Good luck Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

RunLuluRun

Three years ago when I was 17 I skipped two months in a row, and went to see my women's doc. She encouraged me to get on birth-control since it delivers some estrogen. Anyway, I ignored this advice and realized for myself that the obvious reason was that I had let my bodyfat get too low. In my obsession with eating vegetables and fruits I did not consume enough carbs, healthy fats and calories in general to keep up with my training and so I lost a lot of weight. In retrospect I am shocked that she didn't say anything about the fact that was weighing too little, to the point where I was starting to lose muscle tissue. As soon as I gained back weight things went back to normal like clockwork. The woman's body is an amazing thing, it will not allow you to produce a baby if the mother's body is not even provided with enough energy for its own functioning.
          I second the opinion that you should give your doctor a call. You could have skipped from a myriad of causes, none of which would be related to running. Better safe.......

A Saucy Wench

I have a friend who just started the C25K and she was several days late. The sudden change can shock your body. Another friend who is big time into Natural Family Planning had her ovulation move by more than a week delay because of jet lag on a trip to China. Stress can cause it in some people If it happens a 2nd time I would see your doc, but I dont know that I would freak after one skip. But that is me. Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

nemo1

I second the last reply. It can move around or disappear altogether for a myriad of reasons: Stress, diet, exercise... just to name a few. If it is something you are really concerned about, call the doc and make an appointment.
              finney

Resident pinniped

Skipping one month isn't anything to freak out about. Before I got on the pill I had it happen a couple of times. It could be caused by anything or nothing at all. However if you a second month, I'd give the doctor a call just to make sure everything is OK.
                celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Thanks everyone--I feel better knowing this isn't all that scary. I think ramping my exercise (crosstraining 7 days a week) up simply shocked my body. I've upped my calories and will talk to my doctor when I see him for my annual next month. Chris

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

IvorySong

Hey, As a young woman, I have skipped up to four in a row. My doctor told me to come in to see her if I skipped three. She said that it is normal for some women to miss their menstruation if the are stressed or working very hard. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but make sure that you are eating enough because if your body fat is too low it could be harmful to your health.
                    ashares

i know this sounds terrible, but i havnt gotten it in a year and 4 months. been to a buncha doctors, tons of test, blood work, etc etc. im perfetly healthy. dont worry about one month, it happens to most atheletes