Early morning constipation (Read 153 times)

I will be running The Portland Half Marathon October 4th. It starts at 7am which is earlier than I usually start. I don't like to get up early. Anyway two years ago I ran the Portland Marathon and it took several stops during the first few miles. I have a form of cancer and take meds for anxiety and senna which works for the later morning time. I was wondering would a suppository help  in this situation. I hope this is not an inappropriate topic.

kilkee

runktrun

How do you manage with caffeine?  A small cup of potent coffee immediately upon waking may move things along well.  I take meds that have to be taken on an empty stomach, but black coffee does not seem to be detrimental to my absorption.  Also, hydrating well the day before will ensure good bulk in your intestine.  If you do try something more drastic like a laxative, make sure you test it out a few times by simulating your morning race routine BEFORE race day!  I have also heard of runners taking Immodium to AVOID pooping on race day.  I personally would prefer to empty my bowels before running.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

#artbydmcbride

Hardly inappropriate!  I think runners, racing and bathroom woes are pretty common.    I have no advice other than lots and lots of coffee. 

Runners run

Hardly inappropriate!  I think runners, racing and bathroom woes are pretty common.    I have no advice other than lots and lots of coffee. 

+1. I would alternate with water.

All the best for your race.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Moving from an afternoon run to a morning training run for a few days seems to change my bathroom timing.  Going to bed a little earlier and drinking coffee/breakfast with psyllium powder a little earlier changes things for me also.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Moving from an afternoon run to a morning training run for a few days seems to change my bathroom timing.  Going to bed a little earlier and drinking coffee/breakfast with psyllium powder a little earlier changes things for me also.

And here's how we're all an experiment of 1.  Coffee gets things moving for me reliably.  Psyllium does nothing more than make me gassed-up like a balloon.

I get up extra early on race days and make sure I get plenty of coffee as soon as I roll out of bed.  Like Kilkee, I'd rather "clean house" before running.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have also heard of runners taking Immodium to AVOID pooping on race day.  I personally would prefer to empty my bowels before running.

Keep in mind for some runners, emptying first does not prevent the need to also empty later, hence the Immodium.

Dave

kilkee

runktrun

True; I just think that if you've eaten well the day before, you might want to try to empty early, then maybe try the immodium for the residual stuff in the bowels. Smile

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

xhristopher

Having watched guys experiment with laxatives during my high school wrestling career I'd advise against it unless you want to be the butt of people's jokes.

I've tried immodium myself to try and manage some of my own personal issues that have come up towards the end of long races. It may be just coincidence but I've struggled with energy at the end of those longer races when immodium was in my system so I stopped.

The best thing I've figured out is to determine how long it takes coffee to flush things out, do the math, and drink it on that schedule.

rmcj001

The best thing I've figured out is to determine how long it takes coffee to flush things out, do the math, and drink it on that schedule.

You mean work it out with a pencil?

Ray

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay