Can Sprints also Build Endurance? (Read 1163 times)

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/30sec_sprints.htm quote: Sprint training is becoming a new way to train. Recent studies involving bicyclists showed great results in very little time. In fact, one study found that just six sessions of 4-7 all-out 30 second sprints (with four minutes of recovery) could be as effective in improving cardiovascular fitness as an hour of daily moderate activity.
      I really thought this was written by Richard Gibbens (particularly when I read the part "I recommend...")
      Sprint training is becoming a new way to train.
      People like this is the worst kind--they are not a scientist; they are certainly not a coach; they are a marketer who create illusion that the "trend" is shifting by wording like this so the new to the sport and innocent will follow the (imaginary) herd. What does she mean by "becoming a new way to train"? Who are those people who are training this way and beating the butts of those who train "traditional" way? This was written a year ago--do we see people sprinting along the neighborhood lately?
      In fact, one study found that just six sessions of 4-7 all-out 30 second sprints (with four minutes of recovery) could be as effective in improving cardiovascular fitness as an hour of daily moderate activity.
      Once again, so do we now see peolpe sprinting down the street instead of going out for an hour's jog? If it's "as effective" and done much less time, why don't we see more people doing this type of workouts? Those marketers, and unfortunately quite often many "researchers" are this way as well, need to come up with "NEW AND IMPROVED!" something. They want to be a trend-setter. And in many cases, they mislead people. Of course, she also mentioned the following: "To build a base, follow the 10 percent rule, and gradually increase your training volume. Launching into a sprint program will be difficult and cause delayed onset muscle soreness if you haven't done much before. I recommend having about 3 to 4 weeks of base fitness before beginning." So what's the appropriate "volume" of training before you start sprinting training? What kind of "base fitness" training would she recommend? An hour a day? By the way, I just went back and calculated; so you do 30 seconds all-out sprint and then 4 minutes recovery... If you do that 4 times (minimum?) and do that 6 sessions? So the whole damn thing takes almost 2 hours? I'd (personally) rather go for a nice 2-hour stroll around the lakes. Or does she actually mean "6 sessions (6 times a week)" in which case the whole week's work is equivalent of one hour run? Surely, she didn't mean; if you go down the park and do 4~7 sprints; that's as effective as running an hour??? I mean, that's what people used to do in the 1940s~1950s. Then came coaches like Lydiard, Cerutty and van Aaken whose runners kicked their butts in the Olympics simply because they ran hell of a lot more=they were much better-conditioned. People like this, to me, is trying to bring us back to the Dark Age by saying, "Look, do it this way because it's quicker and easier! (you can lose 20lb in 2 weeks by only 5-minutes a day of tightening your butt muscles every other day...!)" I mean, c'mon...! Before you buy into something, use your common sense. Just because it's written and published (and it's on the internet!); doesn't mean it's real. Anybody writes anything on line today and pretend they're an expert. Be careful which one you believe. It is VERY dangerous to just to take a line or paragraph and go by that; particularly written by some marketers, not a coach. If they really know something new and innovative that works better than so-called "traditional" or "conventional" training program (which some people love to crticize), they should be leading the US Olympic team to Beijing (but they are not).
      Scout7

OK, I've read the article. The actual workout she describes sounds like a bad description of running striders. The bursts are for 30 seconds, at a high speed, followed by lots of recovery time. If she would have said the focus was on running smoothly or fluidly, that's a stride workout. The basic premise she means is sound. You will see increases in speed and ability by running faster, coupled with other days of easier running. Like Nobby, I disagree with the packaging of the training. You have to really read the article to get to the crux of the idea, which is really just balancing training between higher and lower intensities. There is absolutely nothing new, or really all that scientific, about the article. She recommends doing 3 hard days a week, of this "sprint" training. It's poorly named, and poorly written.
          It reads like a 30 second ab commercial. There is nothing new here. It's just speed work added on to a base, although they never clearly state what type of base is required. I suspect that the more you add the more improvement you'll see in endurance. Hmmm... Tom

SMART Approach

I think the author needs to be a bit cautious to tell runners (especially beginners) to do an all out sprint 4-7 times. What she suggests is faster than striders. Now, a person on a bike or elliptical can much more easily increase tension w/ some speed and work at max effort for 30 sec. This will provide same stimulus but a much safer way of doing it. I am a proponent of interval training but am more cautious of creating running programs with fast all out sprints in them. A recreational runner who mixes in cross training? Yes, this person I often include fast intervals in the aerobic cross training activities. They are very good for enhancing metabolism particularily the "afterburn effect".

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

you can lose weight while sleeping too Roll eyes
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              kcam

you can lose weight while sleeping too Roll eyes
                Yes!! I wake up 1 to 2 pounds lighter than when I went to bed!
                milkbaby

The two scientific articles quoted studied cycling NOT running! Since running is a weight bearing and high impact activity versus cycling, there are physical adaptations that you would get from doing longer but less intense running training that you would not get from just sprinting 7 times a day. On the other hand, if you can do 200x 100 meters every day, I think you could still build some decent running endurance that way as long as you kept the recovery down to maybe the same or half the time as your running repeats.
                  "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
                    Yes, the article makes it appear too good to be true. A hefty individual such as myself would probably risk injury with all the heavy pounding of sprint training. Undecided Does anyone know any links to the records for runners over 200 lbs?
                      Interesting... Big grin http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1995688
                      Short-term sprint interval versus traditional endurance training: similar initial adaptations in human skeletal muscle and exercise performance Brief, intense exercise training may induce metabolic and performance adaptations comparable to traditional endurance training. However, no study has directly compared these diverse training strategies in a standardized manner. We therefore examined changes in exercise capacity and molecular and cellular adaptations in skeletal muscle after low volume sprint-interval training (SIT) and high volume endurance... [...] ...In conclusion, the most striking finding from the present study was that two very diverse forms of training induced remarkably similar changes in exercise capacity and selected muscle adaptations that are related to exercise tolerance. Given the markedly lower training volume in the SIT group, our results suggest that intense interval training is indeed a time-efficient strategy to induce rapid muscle and performance adaptations comparable to traditional endurance training. Additional research is warranted to clarify the effect of different acute exercise ‘impulses’ on molecular signalling events in human skeletal muscle, and the precise time course and mechanisms responsible for the contraction-induced changes that facilitate the training adaptation.
                        I haven't read the entire article yet (will when have more time since it's related to something I was thinking about recently), but did look at population used in tests as well as a couple cited abstracts. As already mentioned, this is cycling, which doesn't have the impact of running. Also, the population seems to be early 20s active males not training for an event. While such studies are useful to gain some initial knowledge, do we know how these studies apply across broader age groups and to females and varying levels of activity (inactive through regular running, say 6 hr/wk, through higher volume)? I bring this up only because some studies with different age groups and with females vs males may show different results (not necessarily these parameters or protocols, but various running studies). In most balanced running programs, there are a variety of adaptabions - heart, capillaries, mitochondria, muscle strength / power, bone density (I think), etc. You may fall in this population of 21 yo males cycling or running 2-3 days/wk - or something close -, and the results might be relevant. Otherwise, you are extrapolating results, which sometimes works. But also consider these results are for "initial" adaptations. What happens in the long term - after the 14 days of the study? Might be a protocol to consider for a cycle (or part of) in periodization. Oh, wait, isn't something like this done in some programs anyway (with adjustments for running vs cycling, activity level, etc).
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        Scout7

Interesting... Big grin http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1995688
                          I've seen that sort of thing before. Here's the thing: Higher intensity work will make you faster. That is an undeniable fact. That being said, your chance for injury will increase, your risk of burnout will go up, and you're not going to experience the long-term gains. Unfortunately, these studies generally only cover weeks of training, not months or years. I have yet to meet someone who could maintain high intensity throughout, every day, every week, all year long, for years.

Think Whirled Peas

I've seen that sort of thing before. Here's the thing: Higher intensity work will make you faster. That is an undeniable fact. That being said, your chance for injury will increase, your risk of burnout will go up, and you're not going to experience the long-term gains. Unfortunately, these studies generally only cover weeks of training, not months or years. I have yet to meet someone who could maintain high intensity throughout, every day, every week, all year long, for years.
                            Periodization, non?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Scout7

Periodization, non?
                              Periodization works, sure. But doing intervals all the time isn't really periodization.
                              milkbaby

This ANOTHER cycling experiment... I thought this site was called RunningAhead, not CyclingAhead... Wink The authors note in their discussion section at the end that one of the main limitations of their study was the short time period of training which was 2 weeks. It remains to be seen what the differences would be if the training continued for weeks, months, or years. Also, even though the research subjects chosen were "active", they would probably still be considered on the lower end of the scale when it comes to training as they reported as only being active 2 or 3 times a week. Everybody knows the quickest improvements come initially when you go from a low level of fitness or training to the next "level". Note that the training was fairly sparse as well, with 2 or 3 days off between training bouts. I doubt this is the optimal training pattern for those of us who are interested in running races.
                                "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura