Well, shiver me timbers! (Read 904 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's pretty chilly out--only 60º F (granted, in a couple of months that would be a heatwave in these parts). At what temps do you start to wear long pants/long sleeves? I've already gone long-sleeved once, but today I am almost tempted to wear long pants for my run...but I'm planning on 2 hours, so I don't want to overdress and then be stuck for 10 miles being warmer than I need to be. I seem to recall last Spring that 60º was sort of that dividing line between shorts and long pants,--though 60º in April or May feels a lot warmer than 60º feels in early Sept.... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

I think I remember reading advice to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it actually is - so if you would normally wear pants when it's 60, you would want to wear them running if it's 50. I dunno - it hasn't held for me yet, but it's worth a shot.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, that sounds like a pretty good rule-of-thumb. I know once I get out moving that I will warm up fast, too, but right now I feel pretty chilly. It's really damp from rain, too (which we needed and didn't get nearly enough of). k

~ Sarah Kay

Damn wish is was that cold here ( mid 80's here ). Anyhow I don't start wearing pants until it's in the 40's. If it's in the 50's I may wear a long sleeved shirt with shorts.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I just talked to your hubby & you are out running, so I'm too late for this run, but... I'm a wimp & not afraid to admit it. I don't like cold. If I run in the cold with shorts, I feel like my leg muscles tighten up & I'm miserable. It is probably all in my head, but I still don't like it. I usually go out on my back deck before I get dressed to run. If my legs feel chilly at all, pants it is. I'll layer on the top half so that I can shed & not overheat, but my legs must be warm. Too warm is ok, cool is not, for me!
            So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I probably could have worn pants, but I likely would have been just a little too warm. It was kinda clammy out, so that wasn't all that nice, but it's still WAY better than hot and/or humid. I like this weather for running. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Well it was 50 tonight for my run and i just wear a wicking short sleeve shirt and nice light wind pants that give me the lightness, they breathe well but keep the wind away from me. Probably could have worn shorts but did not bother me with pants but have to agree with Zoom if I was on a longer run would prefer to be in shorts. But one thing gettin darn cold in the morning have shifted all my runs to evening with the warm sun, had ice on my windshield this morning...winter is coming Dead
                  I don't understand all these funny numbers your going on about in old money. Although its aparenty 63/ 17 here at the moment but then thats just the same all year round pretty much, the only real change in the seasons here are if its raining every day in the winter or just every other day in the summer. Wink
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I like to run cold. I will run in short sleeves and shorts all the way down to about 15-20, although I will often wear knit gloves under 30.
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

It was 56 degrees last night when I went out running. I had a long sleeve on with shorts. It was somewhat chilly when I first started, but became quite comfortable once I warmed up. The same 56 degrees will probably feel like a heatwave come spring. It would be warm enough for me to wear a t-shirt and still be sweating.
                      vicentefrijole

I like to run cold. I will run in short sleeves and shorts all the way down to about 15-20, although I will often wear knit gloves under 30.
                        Same here... I might move to long sleeves before 30 but gloves are more important for me. If my hands are warm, my arms hardly matter. Also, I like to wear a band around my ears... Chicago wind is pretty rough on the ears! Ugh... not looking forward to the winter training season!
                        scrumhalfgirl

We've been in the 45-50 range here in the mornings, and I've been wearing shorts with long sleeves. I'm pretty warm once I get going, but I can push the sleeves up. I brought out the mini gloves the last two days. Perhaps not yet necessary, but I keep them on for the first mile while my hands warm up!

-Jess

Here's a Runner's World tool for entering if you like to run cool or warm and the weather conditions, and it gives you a picture of what to wear. I'v used this when traveling and running in unfamiliar conditions. Shocked http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
                            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado