What do you carry for self protection when you run? (Read 628 times)

mikeez

Just curious about what if anything you carry with you to defend yourself while running. With the rash of runners and bikers being attacked on trails in Atlanta I'm giving it more serious thought now.

Brendan Davis

I am 14 years old and I never really thought about being attacked but it sure does happen now these days.. I would probably just carry a small pocket knife.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Speed.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

With the Attorney General in my backpack, I feel pretty safe from a defense point of view.

If Eric doesn't know what's up, he knows who does.

Sometimes, though, shit gets real and we gotta break out the Desert Eagle.

With my backpack attorney, we're usually pretty golden on the "self-defense" angle.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I usually carry pepper spray. My water belt is way too small for the Desert Eagle.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Feeling the growl again

After the dog attack the other day, someone I know who has one of these bad boys which has just expired is giving it to me to carry on my next jaunt past the location to verify that the animal is no longer running loose (though I'll probably just drive by a time or two first).

I've never carried anything specifically for defense, but sticks and rocks available at the moment have been used on dogs a few times.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Fanilow

Pepper spray and a knife.

A friend of mine just bought me a hand held metal cat looking thing. It kind of resembles brass knuckles in the respect that you put your fingers through the holes. The cat ears are pointed and stick out about an inch. Pretty hurty if you punched someone with it.

If I were smarter about how to post pics here...sigh.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Feeling the growl again

Pepper spray and a knife.

A friend of mine just bought me a hand held metal cat looking thing. It kind of resembles brass knuckles in the respect that you put your fingers through the holes. The cat ears are pointed and stick out about an inch. Pretty hurty if you punched someone with it.

If I were smarter about how to post pics here...sigh.

I would recommend consulting your state laws before carrying that on runs.  Such a device is illegal as anything but a paperweight in most states.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Fanilow

I would recommend consulting your state laws before carrying that on runs.  Such a device is illegal as anything but a paperweight in most states.

My friend warned me of that before giving them to me. I am in Indiana and brass knuckles are legal. But, in researching the laws, I found out my knife may not be.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

Feeling the growl again

My friend warned me of that before giving them to me. I am in Indiana and brass knuckles are legal. But, in researching the laws, I found out my knife may not be.

I'm in Indiana as well; good to know, though I don't plan on carrying any.  Wink

As to knives, I am not aware of any state-level restrictions in length (a switch blade-type is another matter) but if you live in Marion County:

ec. 451-1. - Sharp objects or instruments on the person.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry around or have in his manual possession or control any ice pick or similar kind of sharp instrument, other than ordinary pocketknives, and such instruments described in subsection (b) of this section, unless the object is a necessary instrument of his lawful trade or occupation or for lawful use in his home, and is actually being carried and intended to be used for use in the performance of such trade or occupation, or for use in his home.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to wear or carry in any public street or place, elevator, public vehicle or place of assemblage any hatpin, ornament or sharp or pointed object, which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half (½Wink inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.

So your "cat knuckles" are illegal if the edges are sharpened, more than 1/2" long, and you carry with the points exposed.

Related to knives in Marion County, <5" and you are ok:

Sec. 451-5. - Unlawful disposition of dangerous weapons.

No person shall sell, give, barter, exchange, lend or otherwise dispose of, or place in the possession of any known or suspected habitual user of narcotics or any known or suspected criminal or a person with criminal purpose, any type of machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, pistol or revolver, or ammunition therefor, or any knucks, billy, sandbag, dagger, dirk, bowie knife or stiletto, or any spring gun, sword cane or any other dangerous weapon of any similar character, which may be carried or concealed on or about the person and which are commonly used and fit to be used unlawfully to inflict harm on or to any person; or any tools, devices or jimmies commonly used for burglary. However, ordinary pocketknives with blades not exceeding five (5) inches in length and so known and sold in legitimate trade shall not be included in the terms of this section, and the provisions of this section shall not apply to any military forces, peace officers or other persons so excepted by law for the possession, use or disposal of any such things.

Daydreamer1

I carry a small Kahr P380.  It weighs just under a pound loaded with 7 rounds. In 16 years of running/hiking/biking there was only one time I really would have used it and that was when I was cornered by a huge dog, possibly a wild one. There was one time that I was glad to have it with the butt sticking out of my pack. That was when I ran by a car that was sitting off the road in the state forest and several guys were there, probably stripping it. Glares turned to halfway smiles when they seen I was packing.  Well made gun, just check your states carry laws and get permitted if need be.

Kahr Arms Pistol Kahr Arms P380 380 ACP 2.5

an amazing likeness

Good ol' joke thread. Hows about tuck your nuts into your shorts and run.

ffs

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

My scary glare and my forbidding stench

Runners run

rlopez

I carry ilene.

kk_kittenkat

I've never understood the American obsession with guns.