What do you carry for self protection when you run? (Read 628 times)

Feeling the growl again

Good ol' joke thread. Hows about tuck your nuts into your shorts and run.

ffs

While IMHO the best form of defense is to use some common sense about where and when you run, 50% of the population...including all but one of those on this thread who have actually said they regularly carry some item to defend themselves, have no nuts to tuck into their shorts.  It is not all that rare to hear about women attacked on bike/running/walking paths.  So if they want to carry something to defend themselves, I'm not going to call it a joke.  The only person murdered in my college town in a 10-year span was a co-ed running on a well-traveled, wide open path at a reasonable hour.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Yooper3.1

I've never understood the American obsession with guns.

It's part of our culture of self-reliance and solving problems on our own.

Birdwell

It's part of our culture of self-reliance and solving problems on our own.

+1

It worked quite well back in 1776.

Hoban-Jay

I've never understood the American obsession with guns.

I don't either.

With all these people carrying guns when they run, I am more glad then ever that I do almost all of my runs on my own!

...and as a sidenote...I don't carry any kind of weapon when I run.  The day that I feel so insecure that I must do that is the day that I give up running.

kk_kittenkat

I don't either.

With all these people carrying guns when they run, I am more glad then ever that I do almost all of my runs on my own!

...and as a sidenote...I don't carry any kind of weapon when I run.  The day that I feel so insecure that I must do that is the day that I give up running.

I love your last line. I live in a very safe corner of England, I run alone and on country roads. So many women say to me that they wouldn't feel safe running in isolation as I do. Any car with anyone in it could stop and there's no-one around to hear/witness. However it's a calculated risk and I would be SO unlucky if anything happened to me. I memorise the number plate of any can acting suspiciously or driving dangerously, but those are very few and far between. I also know my way back home across the fields like the back of my hand AND I bet I can run faster than anyone who would stop.

Guns genuinely scare me but we don't have them here. My main worry is that you can shoot a gun in a heartbeat, decision made. Am I being a naive European? Why do people need to carry them, surely violence breeds violence?

(Ok, ok, I understand if you need to protect yourself against bears etc)

Guns genuinely scare me but we don't have them here. My main worry is that you can shoot a gun in a heartbeat, decision made. 

Enjoy your time in Florida!

kk_kittenkat

Enjoy your time in Florida!

If I die, I'm holding you personally responsible!

Why is it sideways?

I think this is a great book that really helped me understand the culture of guns in America:

http://www.amazon.com/Parents-carry-Brian-Nathan-Nephew/dp/098317511X

The Amazon reviews alone really tell the story.

runlikeagirI

Good ol' joke thread. Hows about tuck your nuts into your shorts and run.

ffs

Yeah, I mean it's not like any of these events actually happened in the Atlanta metro area in the last 2-3 weeks or anything...

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/family-releases-photo-silver-comet-trail-attack-vi/ngrqM/

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/sheriff-man-attempted-to-attack-woman-on-bartow-tr/ngwD7/

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/two-women-assaulted-while-running-suwannee/ngwJs/

...oh, wait.

I think this is a great book that really helped me understand the culture of guns in America:

Indeed. Not surprising that virtually all the reviews were either 5 stars or 1 star, not much in between.

As well as the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" titles, such as "Raising Boys Feminists Will Hate" and "Help! Mom! There are Liberals Under my Bed!".

Dave

kk_kittenkat

Indeed. Not surprising that virtually all the reviews were either 5 stars or 1 star, not much in between.

As well as the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" titles, such as "Raising Boys Feminists Will Hate" and "Help! Mom! There are Liberals Under my Bed!".

Lol. This is funny. I'm still hoping that myself and family WON'T die, but if we do I will appreciate some irony on my death bed, of course.

ON MY DEATH BED

And if any of you played a part in that, i will shoot you with a water pistol or stab you with a plastic knife. WE CAN BE VIOLENT TOO!

Yooper3.1

Keep in mind that this book is about open-carry, which needlessly threatens other law-abiding citizens and reveals the carrier's defenses to potential adversaries.  Concealed carry makes much more sense

Aidan Livingston

1. Calves of Steel

2. Thunder thighs

Docket_Rocket

If I die, I'm holding you personally responsible!

So long as you don't blame me!  

You'll be fine in Orlando; it's not really a high crime city.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page