Why do I always bonk between miles 12 and 14? (Read 2030 times)

50 halfs by age 50

I have been running for only 3 years, but have completed 5 half marys over these years and my first full yesterday. No matter what, no matter how well I'm doing, I seem to implode between miles 12 and 14 EVERY time! I do intervals, I started only walking then worked up to R4 min/W 1 min. After my last half in Aug, I started training with a R4/W2 plan that feels really comfortable. My problem is that after about mile 12, I can't maintain my intervals and start slipping to more walking than running and eventually, only walking. Even in my half PR, I bonked at about 12 and walked it in. The best I've done was in my 16 miler while training for the full...I managed to keep up until mile 14, then fell apart. For my full yesterday, I dropped back to R3/W2 in an effort to keep going longer, but still only made it halfway and walked the last 10 miles. What am I doing wrong? I do live in S. FL and train in heat/humidity most of the year. My toughest runs are with high humidity. I know that's a factor, but I was born here. Shouldn't I be acclimated by now? I'm not fast and I never will be. I would just like to be able to continue improving my endurance. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'm losing the physical or the mental battle and what I can do to fix it. TIA for any thoughts/help!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Hawt and sexy

You are not going to like this, but you bonk because you are running to fast. Drop the intervals and slow down. Just keep running slowly, it will come to you. It's an easy fix, but no one likes to hear it.

I'm touching your pants.

Think Whirled Peas

Not too sure, and I've only been running less than a year, but it seems like you might want to be running more often. Your long runs are making up a significant portion of your overall mileage. Just my 2 cents. GOOD LUCK!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Looking at your log, you are not putting in even close to enough miles to be running 14 mile runs. Your longest runs should not be any more than about 30-50% of your weekly miles. So to run 14 miles comfortably, you need to be running a total of about 30-45 miles per week minimum. And regularly. For months. You will find that this will also make you naturally faster.

Hawt and sexy

Holy hell, I did not even think about looking at the running log. Still getting used to that. Yeah, run more. You do two days of speedwork and a long run each week? No easy days at all? Well, there's your problem. You are tripleing your weekly mileage on long runs. STOP THAT! Do some easy runs during the week. Do some reading about how to train. That should help. Read about Jack Daniel's Pete Pfitzinger and those types.

I'm touching your pants.

I followed Galloway's run/walk "to finish" program, which is just about the lowest mileage plan that I've seen. I think I was averaging 100 miles per month, which is more than appears on your training log. More miles at an easy pace would probably help. Are you eating before your long runs? I usually try to eat an hour in advance, but sometimes the planning's a little lacking and I'm eating on my way out the door. Are you refueling during your long runs? I currently use Sport Beans, but most seem to use Shot Bloks or Gu. The Prefontaine quote in your signature is certainly appropriate, I don't think I have the guts to run for seven hours. Bonk or not, congrats on finishing and keep up the good work!

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Your training is haphazard and inconsistent. You aren't running near enough miles for a half marathon and many weeks consisted of only a long run. Consequently, you are spending most of your time recovering from that long run and aren't developing the necessary endurance to run a half marathon which explains your fatigue late in the race. Get your weekly mileage up to a consistent 25 plus miles a week and follow a structured training program to help you prepare. It will make a world of difference in your performance. Tom

50 halfs by age 50

Wow, y'all are fast! Thanks for all the input. Looks like the consensus is more mileage. My marathon training was inconsistent due to family and work stressors, but not quite as bad as it looks. I don't usually miss a run (though I don't always input them into the log here), but I did often short them when I couldn't get started until 9pm after my youngest is in bed. Even when I'm totally religious about the short runs, I only do them 2 days a week with a long run on the weekend. I have followed the training program from Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. Looking back to my half PR, even with fabulous consistency the LR were often still more then 50% of total mileage. Maybe due to the training plan...it calls for minutes of running for the short runs rather than mileage. So the 10 mile week for the half training is 2 60 min SR then 1 10 miler. I can maintain a 12 min mile for 60 min, but not always and that sometimes cuts me short for mileage Maybe I'm ready to graduate from Bingham to something with more mileage? I have read 3 of Galloway's books, one of Higdon's and one by Glover. I'm working through Lore of Running now. I like Galloway's approach, but the training plan that takes you all the way up to a 26 miler kinda scared me. That's a huge time commitment for me on a weekend with family things to do as well. I do eat before a long run and take Gu every 3 to 4 miles or so. I'll likely stick with half marys for the foreseeable future due to time and injury. I have PF in my right foot which is pretty stable now with custom orthotics (high arches). I also just found out I have a tarsal coalition on the left...doc says the foot may just not tolerate high mileage well, though I can do a half with only moderate discomfort. I'd like to be sub 2:30 someday so I'll make my 2008 goal to increase weekly mileage and improve consistency. Thanks again!

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Less time reading. More time running. Wink

Hawt and sexy

Drop the intervals too. The PF will probably go away magically after you do that. It worked for me back in the day.

I'm touching your pants.

ohanapecosh

Coolrunning has some good running programs; I've never run a marathon, but I've enjoyed them for shorter distances. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/143.shtml
                        JakeKnight

Uh, yeah. What everybody else said. Run more, run more often, run more (easy) miles. A lot more. I looked at your log - and you're making the same mistake I made in the winter of 2006: you're overemphasizing your long runs and doing very little else, except the intervals that either you don't need or which may even be hurting you. You're running before your marathon was two long runs in 2 weeks - nothing else - followed by 3 intervals (in a row, nothing else) over the course of the next two weeks. You might find some of the discussion in this thread useful: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/34ada011f0704106b93c8aae61742566 And here's a random guy's log that you might like to peek at; his mileage isn't huge, but look at his consistency. Not one really long run, but with that base I'll bet he could do one effortlessly. (Hope you don't mind me publicizing your log, MikeJ) http://runningahead.com/logs/4a1349031cdc41bd8dadbae89c5fe7dd All of the problems you mention are caused by a lack of consistency and overemphasizing long runs.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Beatin' on the Rock

Wow, y'all are fast! Thanks for all the input. ... That's a huge time commitment for me on a weekend with family things to do as well.
                            Hi, fellow Floridian! I am having good success so far with hal Higdon's Beginner's Half Marathon Training program. http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm Highly recommend it. As a homeschooling mom of 4 very athletic, busy kids, I use their practice time to run. Every one of their practices is at least 2 hours, and that's time I might otherwise be sitting on my duff, or shopping. Save money; go for a run! (See you at the Grouper!)
                            Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
                              Definitely not an expert but are you using anything like energy gels? I find that if I am going farther than 8 or 9 miles I have to have *something* or I just run out of gas. Teresa
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Definitely not an expert but are you using anything like energy gels? I find that if I am going farther than 8 or 9 miles I have to have *something* or I just run out of gas. Teresa
                                That's not from glycogen depletion. You typically carry enough glycogen for a good 18-20 miles. If you're running out of steam before that, something else is going on; you don't really need additional carbs before 18 miles or so.