GooglePlus anyone? (Read 117 times)

BeeRunB

What do y'all think of Google+?

I thought I'd give it a go, since it comes automatically (one might say forced on ya) with having the account, which I use for analytics, webmaster stuff, and advertising.  It just seems like a barren wasteland. Yet, I see people,  passing through my newsfeed, or whatever it's called, being in 50,000 circles, whatever those things are (I know what a circle is, but not really on Googleplus). How do they do that? And why?

It reminds me of Tumblr, but with a level of unnecessary complication pasted over it.  I've had a little bit of meaningful interaction there with some runners, but it just seems like no one is using it.  Unlike this place, which seems pretty alive.  I just think you can't beat a good old fashioned message board with some private messaging where people unite under a common interest. RA keeps it simple. We just get to the business of communicating without all the liking and friending and circling and bobbuhbebooing and having to +1 every post.

Is it really the barren wasteland it seems to be? Or have I just encapsulated myself in a circle that makes it look like that?

mikeymike

It's basically Facebook for Google employees/fanboyz.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm pretty sure it is a barren wasteland.  It seemed conceptually clever when it was introduced, but aside from having no population, Google has irritated me more and more by trying to force users into G+.  My photos were fine in Picasa, but now I have to try to navigate their unsocial network to get to them, and I understand they will soon be moving Voice in as well.

DaBurger

What do y'all think of Google+?

I thought I'd give it a go, since it comes automatically (one might say forced on ya) with having the account, which I use for analytics, webmaster stuff, and advertising.  It just seems like a barren wasteland. Yet, I see people,  passing through my newsfeed, or whatever it's called, being in 50,000 circles, whatever those things are (I know what a circle is, but not really on Googleplus). How do they do that? And why?

It reminds me of Tumblr, but with a level of unnecessary complication pasted over it.  I've had a little bit of meaningful interaction there with some runners, but it just seems like no one is using it.  Unlike this place, which seems pretty alive.  I just think you can't beat a good old fashioned message board with some private messaging where people unite under a common interest. RA keeps it simple. We just get to the business of communicating without all the liking and friending and circling and bobbuhbebooing and having to +1 every post.

Is it really the barren wasteland it seems to be? Or have I just encapsulated myself in a circle that makes it look like that?

+1 ... oops.

Know thyself.

BeeRunB

I am also puzzled by the lack of activity on my MySpace and Friendster accounts.

Dave

BeeRunB

I am also puzzled by the lack of activity on my MySpace and Friendster accounts.

LOL.

Finally got around to deleting MySPace a month ago.

Hadn't been there since...well...I was in my 40's.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I understand they will soon be moving Voice in as well.

Wha...?  So does this mean I will no longer get immediate e-mail notifications and have to go check these on G+?!  Sonuva!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

running metalhead

It's actually not so barren.

The issue is that you are wrong assuming that G+ is someting like Acebook, while it is not.

G+ is a sort of "glue" that joins several services together. For instance Youtube. When you discuss now on Youtube you use the G+ service allowing you to write posts as long as you want and with none of the original restrictions.

The same goes for a lot of other blogs were you can use your G+ account directly.

It is a pretty neat idea that atually decentralises the social network and creating a social network that permeates and integrates the whole internet (or at least the art kown to Google,

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's actually not so barren.

The issue is that you are wrong assuming that G+ is someting like Acebook, while it is not.

G+ is a sort of "glue" that joins several services together. For instance Youtube. When you discuss now on Youtube you use the G+ service allowing you to write posts as long as you want and with none of the original restrictions.

The same goes for a lot of other blogs were you can use your G+ account directly.

It is a pretty neat idea that atually decentralises the social network and creating a social network that permeates and integrates the whole internet (or at least the art kown to Google,

That's another thing.  If I go to Youtube and I happen to be logged into gmail, it asks me what identity I want to use on Youtube.  I don't want any frickin' identity, I just want to watch a video.

More generally, I would like the great majority of my web browsing to be anonymous, not "glued" to every other service on the web.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wha...?  So does this mean I will no longer get immediate e-mail notifications and have to go check these on G+?!  Sonuva!!

Excuse me, they are moving it into Hangouts, whatever the distinction is.

bap

Where did all the Facebook users under 35 go?

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

Where did all the Facebook users under 35 go?

where their parents aren't!

Best Present Ever

My 13 year old daughter posts all kinds of stupid shit in her google + account.  And she's always showing me the 'hilarious' thing her friend posted.  It's like the worst facebook wall in the world -- cat videos, insights worthy of Stuart Smalley, and dumb jokes.  OMG I'm old and Stuart Smalley is a senator.  

BeeRunB

OMG I'm old and Stuart Smalley is a senator.