Garmin 405 (Read 1563 times)

Just Do It

I have never purchased or used a heartrate monitor or Garmin GPS. Anybody have any advice? Words of wisdom? Things I should know? I want the new 405 . . . It looks great.
    My NY running blog Never Quit
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Lots of fans of the 205/305 series here. I love my 305. The 405 looks pretty sweet: They've managed to make it smaller and more watch-like than the 205/305 devices. In fact, I think it's meant to be a wear all-the-time watch. Which is nice, but the conern I would have is not being able to read the small display as well on the run. It has some kind of wireless syncing capability, which is nice. (Except that it requires a USB dongle for their propriatary wireless. Wish they would have just used Bluetooth, since I already have that.) I'm not sure this is out in the wild yet. Supposed to be avaialble Q1 this year.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Prophet!

is it rechargeable ? Or we have to buy replacement batteries ? I wonder the old 305 HR strap will be compatible with it.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In fact, I think it's meant to be a wear all-the-time watch. Which is nice, but the conern I would have is not being able to read the small display as well on the run.
          Yeah, I am glad I have the 305. From what I have seen the 405 is not an upgrade, except for looks. Actual functionality doesn't look as good as the 305. I love my "big red."

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

is it rechargeable ? Or we have to buy replacement batteries ? I wonder the old 305 HR strap will be compatible with it.
            Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion Battery life: 2 weeks in power save mode; 8 hours in training mode I'm sure the old HR straps are comapatible.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My understanding is that there are some real sacrifices in features to get the watch smaller and more "watch-like". I am sticking with the 305. I see no advantage to the 405. I'm not looking for a fashion watch.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

According to Garmin's website it is rechargeable. A charge will last about 9 hours or 2 weeks in stand-by mode. In stand-by mode it does show the time so I guess one could wear it like a regular watch. The 305 HR strap will work with the 405. I probably sound like a salesman for Garmin but I'm not. However, my company does business with Garmin on their street pilots so that qualifies all of the employees with my company to get discounted prices on all Garmin products. I can order the 405 today for $51 less than the retail price. Finally it's paying off to work for this place!

Prophet!

the 405 will make me sexier...i must have it.
                    I have the 205 & I'm a big fan of it. I read somewhere it is supposed to have a better satellite connection.If thats the case I might be interested. The sleekness of it is also a plus.
                    "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz
                    HOSS1961

Yeah, I am glad I have the 305. From what I have seen the 405 is not an upgrade, except for looks. Actual functionality doesn't look as good as the 305. I love my "big red."
                      Same for me...I'll stay with the 205
                      HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                      Sulli42

I don't think I like where the lap button is located on the 405, looks like a pain in the butt to push, especially with gloves on.

Runner

when the 405 came out the 305 went to 185 dollars on amazon w/ free shipping. Now that it has been out a while the 305 is going back up in price. Supply and demand tells you which people preffer and amazon understands how to make money. I don't see how the 405 could sync w/ satelites the same as a 305.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

The 405 looks more like a watch, a kids watch Big grin. What would I do with my Rolex? I bought the 305 even though I knew about the 405. I much prefer a training watch to look like a piece of equipment and a watch to look like an adult watch. Do you really want to wear a watch with plastic wrist bands anywhere other than Disneyland. Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius