Crowd Funding to get to National Meets - Eligibility Concerns? (Read 170 times)

I wasn't sure where to post this so  hope this is suitable.

I wanted opinions on whether you believe using a site like GoFundMe, to raise travel money for a youth to attend national meets, would pose eligibility problems.  ... and yes, I have read the rules I could find and I still don't have a clear picture of whether this would be an issue or not.

I'd love to get opinions on this, or better yet, a definitive answer with a source.

Anyone?

What state are we talking about?

What state are we talking about?

California.

Not my state (Florida), but as I've been examining this issue of late for my daughter and have some familiarity w/ FL's rules, I took a look for CA's rule(s) on the point for the sake of comparison.

It is apparently governed by CIF by-law 212, titled "amateur status." For some reason I had a hardish time finding that by-law, but I did find a  50 state survey published by the National Federation of State High School Associations that included this by-law.

In effect, I do not see anything in there prohibiting it and it also works in conjunction with the amateur rules of the national governing body of the sport in question (note, I haven't looked the the NGB's rules, presumably, USA Track & Field). Thus, being deemed a professional by the NGB would make him/her ineligible. The NCAA also has some guidelines on this (which appear to permit what you are trying to do, see http://www.ncaa.org/amateurism).

The by-law also prohibits a student from receiving athletic awards totaling $250 or more in any season for regular season CIF events and athletic awards totaling $500 or more in any season for post season CIF events. Key word, "award." In competing in a non-CIF amateur event, the student is governed by the amateur rules of the governing body of that sport. There is some other miscellany in there about being paid for a commercial purpose while in school uniform and other things that didn't seem relevant. Awards by  the way can't be cash so I assume they are talking about the cash value of trophies, t-shirts, medals etc.

So I don't see anything prohibiting receiving donations for the purpose of attending events and the necessary travel, lodging, etc., and, for example, the way I read FL's rule that would be permitted too.

And FYI, my daughter normally wins the local races in which she competes. Sometime there is an award such as a gift certificate for winners. Going forward, I am not going to let her accept them. I think you might have a problem with that too.

Good luck.

Thanks, that helps.

A little more.

NCAA: prohibits the receipt of prize money above actual and necessary expenses 

Florida: Permissible Awards, Gifts, Other Compensation --Remuneration of “essential expenses” for any game in which he/she participates as a player; limited to meals, lodging, and transportation.

National Federation of State High School Association Amateur Status: allowable travel, meals and lodging expenses may be accepted.

Arizona: Amateur athletes may receive actual expenses for participating in out-of-town games, providing the distance traveled exceeds 250 miles from their home and the activity causes the athlete to purchase overnight lodging. This amount shall not exceed the state of Arizona per diem.

Arkansas prohibits reimbursement of travel, meals, lodging, etc.

Colorado permits the acceptance of meals, lodging, and transportation for athletic events.

To me, all the above indicates that there is a broad acceptance among eligibility police of the practice of athletes receiving funds to cover necessary costs of competing.  There are some mechanics I'd worry about if I were you, like making sure you (and not her) are soliciting funds, making sure you only ask for and accept what you actually need and document it, and down play/minimize her athletic prowess/notoriety in your solicitation.

My boss and my local running club offered to pay my daughter's entry fee and associated travel costs to the Footlocker regional series (although, she didn't go this year).  I could argue there is no difference between accepting $ from someone you know and someone you don't know.

my $.02

OK, so JO nationals are in Florida. I went ahead and started the campaign. Probably won't earn anything but hey, whatever.

If you see any problems with this please let me know since you are in FL.

http://www.gofundme.com/y5tcsc

sent you a PM.