Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

Looking at the pics, how do we know who the fakes are?

xhristopher

Things like age and gender make it pretty easy.

Looking at the pics, how do we know who the fakes are?

TripleBock

We do not - But the pics posted have 2 of the runners (Male) with identical bibs running together in more than one spot.  It is circumstantial - But good enough for me.

How stoooopid - Traditional bandits run bibless - Very hard for the race to identify after the fact.  These yahoos wearing a bib - Since there are 100 photographers taking pictures and big money is made selling those pictures - There is a built in anti-fake bib mechinism when people go and look at their pictures.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Kalsarikännit

I'll point out the super obvious...if someone has a health issue, they have no idea who they are taking care of. I keep imagining a family being notified that their child has collapsed on the course just to show up at the hospital and find one of these mopes laying there.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Joann Y

I'll point out the super obvious...if someone has a health issue, they have no idea who they are taking care of. I keep imagining a family being notified that their child has collapsed on the course just to show up at the hospital and find one of these mopes laying there.

That's a good point!

delicate flower

Wonder if she took a medal with him? Perhaps a sizable donation to the OneFund would serve as penance.

I am disappointed that her Twitter page is not being filled with more anger and rage.  Internet people can do better than that.

<3

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Bandits are thieves in any race. Period.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

BruceD555

First off, there will always be bandits. Now, as one of the 3000ish left out of this year's race 1:38 cutoff under BQ time I can only wish those folks pictured develop some sort of horrible long-term rash from the medals and/or chafing they hopefully experienced. If identified, I say force them to run it again next year (as paid entrants) but strip 'em nekked, staple on a big "BANDIT" bib and take away their Glide before the race. Public shaming oughta' hurt ...

Train smart ... race smarter.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

The founder of FOURSQUARE - Who proves that some rich think that anything is OK - Hell why raise money for charity when you can just print one.

Personally I would press charges on each fake bib bandit ... they have broken the bandit code of ethics ... you bandit proudly and openly bibless!

No self respect at all if they don't have the guts to bandit bibless.  What asses.

steph  

Tar Heel Mom

kween

First off, there will always be bandits. Now, as one of the 3000ish left out of this year's race 1:38 cutoff under BQ time I can only wish those folks pictured develop some sort of horrible long-term rash from the medals and/or chafing they hopefully experienced. If identified, I say force them to run it again next year (as paid entrants) but strip 'em nekked, staple on a big "BANDIT" bib and take away their Glide before the race. Public shaming oughta' hurt ...

This makes it right? They should all be punished. I detest it.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

BruceD555

This makes it right? They should all be punished. I detest it.

Nope, not right ... and I tried to come up with a punishment befitting the crime. Bandits look to steal the limelight ... I say give them sunburn.

Train smart ... race smarter.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Guts would be trying to bandit the Trials.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'll never BQ, and I'm not paying 5K to run it (and I'm not going to bandit it), so I'll never run at Boston.  I agree though, if I was ever there, I certainly would not have a phone or Ipod and "tuning out" the entirety of the race.    

Thats about as bad as a US Navy Sailor going to a great overseas port for a once in a lifetime stop, but getting so drunk at the first bar he saw one block inland, he forgot the entirety of the visit!    (I plead the 5th on that last occurrence...)

I'd be lying if I pretended I didn't fall into this occurance, but I can't remember... I do remember a bar and then...

Meh.  I'm not that pissed about bandits.  Apparently, there has been some code of "ethics" among bandits.  They shouldn't be taking official race "refreshments" during or after the race, no medals, and no crossing the finish line.

This bib forging takes things to another level, I think.  Taking water, Gatorade, food, medals...well, that crosses the line for me.  I would say they deserve the shame, but I highly doubt shame fazes them if they were willing to take a medal at the finish.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

xhristopher

Hadn't thought of that. Of course, I'd rather see one of these mopes lying there than my next of kin. Still, I'd be pissed at them for wasting my time and causing stress.

Talk about unintended consequences for the BAA. I thought the old bandit system worked just fine. There was a bandit code: start at the end, no bib required, and don't take a medal. That impacted my experience absolutely nada.

I've heard accounts that this year's marathon traffic seemed worse. I'm sure there are many reasons for that but this sure didn't help.

MTA: Abe beat me to the code thing.