Counterfeit Bibs (Read 459 times)

RSX

This subject reeks of hypocrites whether I look here or on FB. I know people who were former Boston bandits ranking on these folks in FB. If you paced someone in a small race and didn't pay you are a bandit. If you ran a race as a workout and didn't pay you were a bandit. Some define being a bandit as just Boston

This subject reeks of hypocrites whether I look here or on FB. I know people who were former Boston bandits ranking on these folks in FB. If you paced someone in a small race and didn't pay you are a bandit. If you ran a race as a workout and didn't pay you were a bandit. Some define being a bandit as just Boston

What if you didn't start at the starting line, didn't go through the finish chute, and didn't take any aid along the way? You were just running in the race with a friend to help them along. Would someone sill be considered a bandit?

I've never done this, but I know a few that have done that in some races, and a couple have done that for me. They have enough courtesy and ethics to not want to steal from those that have paid.

I agree though... why all the uproar over Boston when it happens in many races? Yes, Boston is a special race, but why is banditing worse there than any other race?

#artbydmcbride

How many bandits bought the sweet bright orange jacket....and are lolling about wearing it everywhere they go??

Runners run

xhristopher

OK, we've established people are against faking race bibs at  a ratio of almost 10:1. Despite this, 11.2% of the running population agree using fake bibs to gain unearned entry into a race is an acceptable practice. Therefore, using this very highly scientific data I've revised the following statistics for the 2014 Boston Marathon.

Number Entered Number Started Number Finished Percent Finished
          35671 32456 39238 110.8%

With these extra people in town over the weekend the attendance at Saturday's Red Sox game against the O's is now revised from 37,065 to 42,257 making it the best attended game in Fenway Park history.

JimR

How many bandits bought the sweet bright orange jacket....and are lolling about wearing it everywhere they go??

I've only seen bandits wearing red jackets.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What if you didn't start at the starting line, didn't go through the finish chute, and didn't take any aid along the way? You were just running in the race with a friend to help them along. Would someone sill be considered a bandit?

They have bandits like this in a lot of ultras. They hide them behind the euphemism "pacer", but a rose by any other name....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Next year I'm going to distribute counterfeit bibs that say "MEB" Go big or go home.

Imminent Catastrophe

If you paced someone in a small race and didn't pay you are a bandit. If you ran a race as a workout and didn't pay you were a bandit. 

And if you took a medal you are an asshat.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

Theft of services-permit fees, security.

Unless you have permission from the RD as in most ultras 50M or more.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

Next year I'm going to distribute counterfeit bibs that say "MEB" Go big or go home.

+1

RSX

I've never done this, but I know a few that have done that in some races, and a couple have done that for me. They have enough courtesy and ethics to not want to steal from those that have paid.

I agree though... why all the uproar over Boston when it happens in many races? Yes, Boston is a special race, but why is banditing worse there than any other race?

Prior to this year I always knew someone pacing another runner doing Boston for part of  the course, such as the last half. I think that anyone is a bandit if they run on all or part of it without paying. Do it or not but don't justify your bandit standards over others. You are still taking up potential resources.

I ran Boston without a # years ago. I don't come down on that crew from last week because I'm not picking and choosing. I never did it again without a legit # after though.

RSX

You forgot to mention the fashionable blue race stripes. It was almost like this jacket rots so let's spice it up a little.

BeeRunB

If the only things that guide your behavior are laws, that is unfortunate.

+1 to Tanya

Creative impulses, food, sleep, and sex are huge influences.

I also use The Brady Bunch Guide To Life, available on Amazon.

Such personal behavior "laws' have served me well:

"No one likes a tattletale"

and

"Pork chops and apple sauce"

and

"Don't counterfeit" (from the lesser known "Brady Bunch Guide To Staying Out Of Jail And The Public Stocks On The World Wide Web Commons, And Avoiding The Wrath of the Sanctimonious" also available on Amazon).

On On

http://turtleboysports.com/2014/04/25/idiot-deadspin-blogger-jon-gugala-sends-lynch-mob-after-4-boston-college-students-for-running-boston-marathon-as-bandits/

Interesting read about the original writer / poster of the 4 bibs and Deadspin in general.  One takeaway I got was that people found out one of the girls names and completely inundated her Facebook and LinkedIn accounts with so much hate she had to close them down.  She even received death threats and phone calls with people calling her all kinds of nasty names.  Turns out it was a different woman with the same name.  Whoops, thats what happens when you ask people to go after a couple of people for just running a race with a purchased bib versus one gotten by running a BQ time.

Feeling the growl again

http://turtleboysports.com/2014/04/25/idiot-deadspin-blogger-jon-gugala-sends-lynch-mob-after-4-boston-college-students-for-running-boston-marathon-as-bandits/

Interesting read about the original writer / poster of the 4 bibs and Deadspin in general.  One takeaway I got was that people found out one of the girls names and completely inundated her Facebook and LinkedIn accounts with so much hate she had to close them down.  She even received death threats and phone calls with people calling her all kinds of nasty names.  Turns out it was a different woman with the same name.  Whoops, thats what happens when you ask people to go after a couple of people for just running a race with a purchased bib versus one gotten by running a BQ time.

The nasty side of vigilante justice...OOPS.

As I said, this is why I would look down on their behavior but I'm not going to waste an iota of my concern or ire on it.  I don't go ape on every self-centered driver I see and try to run them off the road either.  Karma is not perfect but it does a decent enough job.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills