What do you eat and when? (Read 883 times)

danadearest

I am a newbie here and I have no doubt that you guys have discussed this topic numerous times so I apologize...but I would like to know what everyone eats and when.  What is your tried and true pre-run meal or snack?  Pre-race meal or snack?  Nutrition on your long runs and during races?  I tend toward tummy issues so would love to hear what works for you.  Thanks!

JML

For training, I only eat pre-run when it is more that 12 miles.  If it is a longer training run, a small bowl of cereal or a banana 60-90 minutes before the run seems to do the trick.

For longer races, I use the tried and true best food for Glycogen top off......the pop tart.  (Thanks Trent!)

As nutrition on longer runs and longer races, I am a fan of Gu and will typically use it sparingly during training and every 5-6 miles during a longer race. 

I recommend trying out the various gels on longer training runs to figure out what works for you.  I discovered that Powergel does NOT agree with me this way which was preferable to finding out during a race.

Good Luck!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

I can eat immediately before a run (I'm one of those people) or even during (and I mean real food, too, not just gels) without any real issue, but I only eat pre-run for long runs--about 12 miles, actually, same as JML.

The exception for me is anything high fiber--I'll be doomed to the trots if I do that.

During long runs, I only use gels at about the 15 mile mark, and only so I'll be used to them for races.  I don't feel I need them, but I don't want to have a weird reaction at my first marathon (November 6th!).  For me, Gu bothers me...but PowerGel doesn't.  Honey Stingers have been pretty good, too.  Experiment with different food sources--but try not to rely on them too much in training.

Best of luck!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

For training, I only eat pre-run when it is more that 12 miles.  If it is a longer training run, a small bowl of cereal or a banana 60-90 minutes before the run seems to do the trick.

For longer races, I use the tried and true best food for Glycogen top off......the pop tart.  (Thanks Trent!)

As nutrition on longer runs and longer races, I am a fan of Gu and will typically use it sparingly during training and every 5-6 miles during a longer race. 

I recommend trying out the various gels on longer training runs to figure out what works for you.  I discovered that Powergel does NOT agree with me this way which was preferable to finding out during a race.

Good Luck!

Coffee and out the door, except for runs longer than 13 miles.

Powergel, because it's more readily available. I try not to use it at all in training runs, but carry it in case it's needed.

Pre-run, a little water.  If it's long, juice, and maybe even yogurt.  Post-run, I eat as voraciously as I wish. Smile

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

just a simple cat

Pre-run, coffee and dry-roasted unsalted almonds, about 12 of them

longer than 16 miles, an Accel gel around mile 15

Post run, scrambled eggs and toast

I  guess as you get more bodacious, you begin to lose more brain cells, because there is a limit to how much magnificence your body can house

For me, nothing solid within 45 to 60 minutes of a run.

For morning runs, that means nothing till afterwards.  For evening runs, I like to top off an hour or two before with a banana, pop tart, or granola bar type thingy.  For long runs up to 2 - 2.5 hrs, I don't feel that I need anything mid run.  No experience with training anything >15 miles. 

For long races, I will eat a banana a hour or more prior to the start and do like a mid-race pop tart boost.  I don't use gels at all...not that they bother me, but I dislike the before and after taste.  Right after a long run or long race, there is nothing that tastes better than a big glass of cold chocolate milk.

Others say the same for beer.  Who am I to disagree.

2014 goals:   •  1st Marathon  •  3,000 miles

danadearest

Thanks for the feedback!  Hi llenforward!

I have seen pop tarts a couple of times....will have to work those in.

danyelli

Pre-run I like to grab a banana and go.  If it's a long run then I'll prepare steel cut oatmeal the night before with raisins and cinnamon and eat that about an hour before I head out the next day. Post-run I like to eat a pickle for some quick salt intake.  If it's a long run I'll drink a glass of chia fresca (water+lime juice+sugar+chia seeds).  I feel queasy post-long run so I don't tend to eat a real meal for at least an hour after I get back.But when I am ready to eat it's almost always scrambled eggs.

During runs I just drink water.  If I'll be out there for longer than 2 hours I prefer Hammer gels.  I also run with raisins as they're easy to eat and digest and taste far better than a gel.  If I need a mental pick-me-up I suck on a peppermint candy --it's a little bit of a sugar boost plus it smells good. :-)

Danielle

Lush Extraordinaire

Pre-run: cereal with milk (or chocolate soy milk if I have it) about 30-45 minutes before, coffee.

During-run: Clif bars (for runs over 13 miles or so or when I start to get hungry).

Pre-race: Pop-tarts for breakfast. With fruit filling. That way it's healthier. Oh, and coffee.

Post-run: Whatever isn't nailed down.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Shut the eff up and run.