What do you eat and when? (Read 884 times)

danadearest

I am a newbie here and I have no doubt that you guys have discussed this topic numerous times so I apologize...but I would like to know what everyone eats and when.  What is your tried and true pre-run meal or snack?  Pre-race meal or snack?  Nutrition on your long runs and during races?  I tend toward tummy issues so would love to hear what works for you.  Thanks!

JML

For training, I only eat pre-run when it is more that 12 miles.  If it is a longer training run, a small bowl of cereal or a banana 60-90 minutes before the run seems to do the trick.

For longer races, I use the tried and true best food for Glycogen top off......the pop tart.  (Thanks Trent!)

As nutrition on longer runs and longer races, I am a fan of Gu and will typically use it sparingly during training and every 5-6 miles during a longer race. 

I recommend trying out the various gels on longer training runs to figure out what works for you.  I discovered that Powergel does NOT agree with me this way which was preferable to finding out during a race.

Good Luck!

2014 goals: run a bunch....race some.....repeat...

I can eat immediately before a run (I'm one of those people) or even during (and I mean real food, too, not just gels) without any real issue, but I only eat pre-run for long runs--about 12 miles, actually, same as JML.

The exception for me is anything high fiber--I'll be doomed to the trots if I do that.

During long runs, I only use gels at about the 15 mile mark, and only so I'll be used to them for races.  I don't feel I need them, but I don't want to have a weird reaction at my first marathon (November 6th!).  For me, Gu bothers me...but PowerGel doesn't.  Honey Stingers have been pretty good, too.  Experiment with different food sources--but try not to rely on them too much in training.

Best of luck!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

For training, I only eat pre-run when it is more that 12 miles.  If it is a longer training run, a small bowl of cereal or a banana 60-90 minutes before the run seems to do the trick.

For longer races, I use the tried and true best food for Glycogen top off......the pop tart.  (Thanks Trent!)

As nutrition on longer runs and longer races, I am a fan of Gu and will typically use it sparingly during training and every 5-6 miles during a longer race. 

I recommend trying out the various gels on longer training runs to figure out what works for you.  I discovered that Powergel does NOT agree with me this way which was preferable to finding out during a race.

Good Luck!

Coffee and out the door, except for runs longer than 13 miles.

Powergel, because it's more readily available. I try not to use it at all in training runs, but carry it in case it's needed.

Pre-run, a little water.  If it's long, juice, and maybe even yogurt.  Post-run, I eat as voraciously as I wish. Smile

Well at least someone here is making relevance to the subject.

just a simple cat

Pre-run, coffee and dry-roasted unsalted almonds, about 12 of them

longer than 16 miles, an Accel gel around mile 15

Post run, scrambled eggs and toast

Running is stupid

For me, nothing solid within 45 to 60 minutes of a run.

For morning runs, that means nothing till afterwards.  For evening runs, I like to top off an hour or two before with a banana, pop tart, or granola bar type thingy.  For long runs up to 2 - 2.5 hrs, I don't feel that I need anything mid run.  No experience with training anything >15 miles. 

For long races, I will eat a banana a hour or more prior to the start and do like a mid-race pop tart boost.  I don't use gels at all...not that they bother me, but I dislike the before and after taste.  Right after a long run or long race, there is nothing that tastes better than a big glass of cold chocolate milk.

Others say the same for beer.  Who am I to disagree.

2014 goals:   •  1st Marathon  •  1:32 Half (didn't happen this year)  •  2,500 miles

danadearest

Thanks for the feedback!  Hi llenforward!

I have seen pop tarts a couple of times....will have to work those in.

danyelli

Pre-run I like to grab a banana and go.  If it's a long run then I'll prepare steel cut oatmeal the night before with raisins and cinnamon and eat that about an hour before I head out the next day. Post-run I like to eat a pickle for some quick salt intake.  If it's a long run I'll drink a glass of chia fresca (water+lime juice+sugar+chia seeds).  I feel queasy post-long run so I don't tend to eat a real meal for at least an hour after I get back.But when I am ready to eat it's almost always scrambled eggs.

During runs I just drink water.  If I'll be out there for longer than 2 hours I prefer Hammer gels.  I also run with raisins as they're easy to eat and digest and taste far better than a gel.  If I need a mental pick-me-up I suck on a peppermint candy --it's a little bit of a sugar boost plus it smells good. :-)

Danielle

Lush Extraordinaire

Pre-run: cereal with milk (or chocolate soy milk if I have it) about 30-45 minutes before, coffee.

During-run: Clif bars (for runs over 13 miles or so or when I start to get hungry).

Pre-race: Pop-tarts for breakfast. With fruit filling. That way it's healthier. Oh, and coffee.

Post-run: Whatever isn't nailed down.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Shut the eff up and run.