The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Play with the medal count any way you want in this spreadsheet.  I understand it's provided by The Guardian.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Brian, I follow Whitfield on facebook and that story is awesome. What a crash that was too! Broke his collarbone, stitches in his foot, snapped some gears off his bike. Just a heartbreaking end to his race, but handled with class.

Another great story: The silver medallist in the 20km walk was from Guatemala. They've never won an Olympic medal. 

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

#artbydmcbride

Play with the medal count any way you want in this spreadsheet.  I understand it's provided by The Guardian.

Can you count medals by American women versus medals by American men?

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Can you count medals by American women versus medals by American men?

Dang, you got me there.  Can't count men wearing shirts vs. shirtless men, either.

Dang, you got me there.  Can't count men wearing shirts vs. shirtless men, either.

I'd like to see a separation of the relays (swimming / running) from the individual effort sports.

The lower population countries (like Trinidad and Tobago) couldn't field a relay team.

(Jamaica and the 4x100 is huge exception to that rule though).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd like to see a separation of the relays (swimming / running) from the individual effort sports.

The lower population countries (like Trinidad and Tobago) couldn't field a relay team.

Dude, are you aware that Trinidad not only fielded a 4x100 men's team, but made it to the final. And not only made it to the final, but came in 4th, and got promoted to bronze after a DQ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

On the podium, the Trinidadians wore Tobagans.

Dude, are you aware that Trinidad not only fielded a 4x100 men's team, but made it to the final. And not only made it to the final, but came in 4th, and got promoted to bronze after a DQ?

Nope, didn't know.  Quite impressive.

Wouldn't have guessed, and didn't watch those races.  

disregard.... I guess.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Also the Bahamas(*) won the mens 4x400 relay, beating the US (which was unbeaten at Olympic mens 4x400 since the Moscow boycott).

* The Bahamas has a much smaller population than Trinidad and Tobago

Maybe your Jamaican exception needs to be broadened to a Caribbean exception -- but maybe just in track? I don't know anything about swimming relays and countries.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

(oops)

Just saw this. Pretty funny 

MTA for those needing context to click it, its an alternate commentary on Sailing

Just saw this. Pretty funny 

MTA for those needing context to click it, its an alternate commentary on Sailing

Did he really call the one sailer, the one going the wrong way, a "D___ head?"

I had to rewind at that part too to confirm what he said.