The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

xor

There was a sprinter in one of the 100m "happy to be here" heats named Foo Yoo (from Singapore).  He came in second in his heat.  I was cheering audibly FOO YOO!

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

If Dong Dong ever moves to the US, I hope we call him "Double D"

When I saw him win last night I was impressed. His routine was cool.

But  then heard his name and I laughed until I cried. 

TRUST THE PROCESS

xor

What the hell is regular NBC's fascination with water polo?  I suppose it is just me, but it seems like msnbc is getting all the soccer games, the network-formerly-known-as-versus is getting the second-tier stuff, and regular NBC, while rolling through all the events I'd expect, seems to show me water polo. A lot.  It's not that I mind a little water polo, but why so much?

Did I just hear Al Michaels say Mo Farah is getting ready to run over 6.5 miles in the 10,000m final? 

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

RUPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!!  What a finish!!!!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

1+++++++++++++++

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

RUPP!

Fuck yes!!!!

Bout time the haters were silenced. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

An awesome finish!!

After seeing his last lap in the trials 5K, that race set up quite nicely for him. You just knew if he was close w/ a lap to go, he'd have the speed to be in medal contention.

That's just awesome!!

I was screaching and laughing like a girl for 350 meters and then some.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

After seeing his last lap in the trials 5K, that race set up quite nicely for him. You just knew if he was close w/ a lap to go, he'd have the speed to be in medal contention.

That's just awesome!!

Yes, but he just out-kicked some really good kickers.  I figured he'd have a chance but even well-positioned I did not think it would turn out THAT well for him.  Color me impressed.  Whatever Salazar was doing with his speed this year obviously worked.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I threw up a little as they crossed the finish line in empathy...amazing.

Did I just hear Al Michaels say Mo Farah is getting ready to run over 6.5 miles in the 10,000m final? 

Yes, I heard that too.

What an amazing race!  

--

Nashville, TN

I was screaching and laughing like a girl for 350 meters and then some.

+1

Did anyone else think of our dear friend SJ when Salazar's runners finished 1 2?

Feeling the growl again

+1

Did anyone else think of our dear friend SJ when Salazar's runners finished 1 2?

All I was thinking was that someone needs to give Rupp a headband to hold his ears down, he'd gain 5sec by reducing wind resistance.

Salazar is going to have a grin on his face for days.  It might freeze that way.