The Olympics random thoughts thread (may contain spoilers) (Read 1312 times)

RUDISHA IS ONE BADASS DUDE!

That is all.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Also, I missed whatever happened to Pistorius, but just heard the word 'obstruction' and 'very dejected' so I am off to learn.

Saw his tweet (or chatter about his tweet) earlier this morning wondering what happened.

Then, I saw the race earlier today @ the gym.  Surprised about the 'incident' as well as the ruling later on in response to the incident.

Can't believe they get the do'over since they were running in 2nd or 3rd from last place at the time of the incident.

But, it is a great Olympic story.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

philipfromga

And the Jamaican sprinters are just MACHINES!!

xor

Oh, happy days.

MORE WATER POLO

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Russian warmups (pink & white) are prettier than US ones (gray top, black bottom). (Watching women's long jump medals)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, happy days.

MORE WATER POLO

I swear it doesn't matter what time I turn the TV on, it's water polo.  If I didn't know better I'd think that were the only Olympic sport in existence.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I swear it doesn't matter what time I turn the TV on, it's water polo.  If I didn't know better I'd think that were the only Olympic sport in existence.

that's only because swimming is over. They somehow managed to complete their 762 events in 1 week.

I did catch the comment that the 10K open swim was won by a fraction of a second. Other the finish, that event wouldn't be too exciting.

3 comments

1. 10k swimming is a heck-uv-a long way!

2. my son's swim team practices in a few lanes right next to the USA open water swim coach.  It was pretty cool to have her (a local high school coach and former US olympic athlete) go to London to work with the team.  I look forward to her return.

3. my son played 1 season of water polo (as an 8 year old).  Worst.Sport.Ever!  It was like watching 3 years olds play soccer or t-ball.  Unless he begs us to join water polo again, we're not suggesting it and hope never to watch another game in person.

Life Goals:

xor

Holy smokes.

So, the water polo (game? match? tussle??) ended in a tie.

This means "extra time".  Got it.  Makes sense.

But in water polo, you have TWO mandatory extra time periods.  Not one.  Two.  It isn't sudden death, and it doesn't matter what the score is after the end of the first period of extra time.  Two periods.

GAH.  It'll be over soon, it'll be over soon, it'll be over soon.

I am convinced that the scheduling producer at NBC sports had to have played water polo her/himself in school.

Holy smokes.

But in water polo, you have TWO mandatory extra time periods.  Not one.  Two.  It isn't sudden death, and it doesn't matter what the score is after the end of the first period of extra time.  Two periods.

I am convinced that the scheduling producer at NBC sports had to have played water polo her/himself in school.

I think you should work during the day, and watch the summaries during prime time.

How do "y'all" find time to watch water polo? 

I haven't seen it (except for a summary a few nights ago).

Life Goals:

xor

Sweet fancy Moses.

ANOTHER water polo matchgametussle.  This one for the gold medal, so it is the last women's matchgametussle.

Holy smokes.

What if there's a tie after two periods?  Hope I just didn't jinx your viewing pleasure!

And why is it called Waterpolo, why not swimball or waterball?

xor

And why is it called Waterpolo, why not swimball or waterball?

I think 99% of the US who saw "handball" (in the brief moment that NBC decided not to show water polo) for the first time were completely and totally stumped at what it actually was.

You'd think water polo would involve them in inflatable swimmy horse/unicorns.  Or riding seals or something.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You'd think water polo would involve them in inflatable swimmy horse/unicorns.  Or riding seals or something.

Or combine it with dressage, somehow...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay